Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off road maps and GPS

Hi all

Would appreciate any feedback on 4WD maps and GPS.

obviously there are the HEMA units which are the gold standard.. but expensive.

there are also Apps from Hema being the Explorer app. Anyone used this App before? The reviews on the google play store have a lot of negative ones. This would be a good middle ground for me i think assuming it works ok. I have Samsung (android) tablets and phones.

anyone else using any other device or app? Wish I could load an app through the crusade gps unit.

any feedback appreciated

Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

I've consolidated from using 3 garmins across two cars and a handheld to using Memory Map on an iphone 7+, worth some research if you haven't already.
    You can try/buy maps but I've not tried/purchased Hema maps as I'm not really interested in their detail/features. My use of it is based on using VicMap 25k maps offroad and it does this pretty intuitively. Works great on an iphone 7+ and is good in the cab with a Ram phone mount. The reason I went that way I can be off the grid and it all works offline with iphone gps and no matter if it's vehicle/motor bike/mountain bike I always have the phone with me.

Comment

• 4Tuner
      4Tuner commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks for the tip - it seems memory map gets a few good reviews online.. might check it out.

I've been thinking of getting the one from 4wd supra centre, anyone else got the 4wd supra centre one??

Comment

I know some people who use mud maps and are happy with it. Works on Android or iOS. Worth checking out: http://www.mud-maps.com/
      I use a HEMA HN7 myself. They sell at a reasonable price now that the HX1 is available but still several hundred dollars more than the mud maps app.

Comment

• 4Tuner
        4Tuner commented
        Editing a comment
        yes I looked at mud maps app - but the user reviews for (for the android version at least) were fairly savage.. lots of people not impressed so I didnt download it

Hi,
      I use the app "Australia Topo Maps" on android. It uses online map sources, such as the official state government topo ones which are often very good (far more detail than HEMA etc). Of course, as the maps are online, you either need continual mobile service (unlikely), or you need to pre-cache the tiles, which is easy enough to do within the app either using the "cache map" feature, or by simply scrolling around your chosen route at the zoom levels you want before you leave home. Probably not idea for the 'big lap'. But for exploring your local parks and forests on shorter trips, the extra detail is fantastic.

Dave

Comment

• 4Tuner
        4Tuner commented
        Editing a comment
        thanks will check it out

I've the HEMA HN7 for my GX. A mate also has the HN7 & also uses mud maps on his i-pad in his 200 series. He switches / looks at between both when we're on trips. With limited dashboard / console space on the Tuner, I'll only ever use the one unit.

Agree with tekka maki, in that the HN7 is getting cheaper now the HX1 is on the market.

As with anything, make your enquiries then decide what's best for you. Even better if you can borrow the one you might settle on & test fit it / use it in your car, for ease of access & navigating the screens.

Comment

thanks for the feedback all - i have so many devices/tablets/phones floating around our house and car that i am trying to avoid another one - surely a smartphone with built in GPS can do the same job as the special purpose navigator - just needs the right software. I had a navman a while back which was thrown out years ago.. obsolete.. surely the physical hema units will go the same way eventually?

nyway will check out a few of those apps after your tips.. still interested in comment from someone who has used the Hema Explorer app for android. will report once I try one.
        Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Comment

I use the Hema HX1 and a 5" Garmin Drive Assist
          The HX1 is for bush camping, trips etc. which is tops, and the Garmin for driving around the suburbs which I find more informative.
          I remove one or the other if not being used to avoid confusion.
          Paid $580 for the HX1
          Gordon.

Comment

I use the hema app on an old iPad with an external Bluetooth gps unit. I pay the additional annual "upgrade" of $50 per year for full access to mapping down to 9k. This is the best digital mapping I've used or seen. Has base mapping and you can choose to download more detailed mapping for user defined areas. Should be the same experience for android. Plus I can install it on multiple devices and access through a website from any computer or when at work

Comment

• RJS
              RJS commented
              Editing a comment
              +1 for Hema Explorer. It's great. The ability to save each track as something you can follow at a later stage has saved me a number of times. We've found out that if driving in National Parks, the HEMA maps will show roads, but the N.P will have them closed. Need to cross reference with the NP maps before planning routes.
          Working...
          X