3kg Gas bottle tie downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3kg Gas bottle tie downs

Hello after many hours of googling I've yet to find an answer.
    I'm looking for a solution on how to tie down my 3kg gas bottle to my roof racks?
    The Rhino gas bottle holder which suits 4.5kg bottles & requires a pioneer platform to bolt it to would end up costing way too much & wouldn't suit the 3kg. bottle.

I'm looking @ getting a mesh platform or basket to put the gas bottle on the roof as I don't want to store it in the car.
    Many people recommend the 9kg in the milk crate but that's not ideal either for the diameter of the 3kg which is 260mm.

Has anybody come up with a good solution.

Any help would be appreciated.

Not sure if this helps, but have you considered disposable gas bottles instead?

I use the 453g coleman ones. It's regular propane suitable for any stove (you may need an adapter), and very easy to pack. I take 2 and just pack them securely with the rest of my gear in tubs tied down in the boot. I use them for cooking on a 2-burner stove. For boiling water (coffee etc), I use a very efficient jetboil with its own gas (butane/propane mix iirc), so the coleman bottles last ages when used just for cooking. I think I used less than 2 bottles in a 2-week trip around tassie, though I also used fire/heatbeads for some meals.

I find this much more convenient than carrying around a big gas bottle, or trying to get the smaller ones refilled (everyone is swap-n-go now), but I guess it depends on your needs.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      Not sure if this helps, but have you considered disposable gas bottles instead?

I use the 453g coleman ones. It's regular propane suitable for any stove (you may need an adapter), and very easy to pack. I take 2 and just pack them securely with the rest of my gear in tubs tied down in the boot. I use them for cooking on a 2-burner stove. For boiling water (coffee etc), I use a very efficient jetboil with its own gas (butane/propane mix iirc), so the coleman bottles last ages when used just for cooking. I think I used less than 2 bottles in a 2-week trip around tassie, though I also used fire/heatbeads for some meals.

I find this much more convenient than carrying around a big gas bottle, or trying to get the smaller ones refilled (everyone is swap-n-go now), but I guess it depends on your needs.

Dave
      Thanks DaveC
      I'll check them out for sure.
      I bought the Primus High output 2 burner so hopefully I they works with that.

Comment

You can get generic bottle holders from places like roof rack city, alot cheaper that the Rhino ones.

Comment

Originally posted by 4tuna WA View Post
          You can get generic bottle holders from places like roof rack city, alot cheaper that the Rhino ones.
          Thanks 4tuna.
          I'll check them out too, nothing comes up on Google I'll have to go in store.
          I'm thinking about fashioning something out of 300mm PVC Stormwater pipe otherwise.

Comment

Anaconda stores

Comment

Working...
            X