Thoughts as Almost Out of New Car Warranty

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts as Almost Out of New Car Warranty

So the Fortuner went it for its last fixed priced service. It will be out of new car warranty in December.

Although I've never had a problem with the DPF, I always ask for a manual burn. When I asked this time, the service person said that they have now implemented a super burn, whatever that means. They also implemented the latest(?) ECU update which is supposed to remedy ongoing DPF issues. Bold statement, followed by saying that Toyota is getting a handle on problem.

The other issue has been with the automatic transmission. It has a tendency to 'flare' when slowing down for some roundabouts. At every service I've had it listed to be checked. At every service they say that they cannot duplicate the issue. It's more a slight irritation than annoyance. Should I just live with it?

So, do I continue getting it serviced by Toyota, or find a good diesel mechanic au fait with the 2.8 issues?

Overall, very happy with the car. I have been achieving under 8ltr/100km (best 7.5), admittedly that's mostly highway driving and no load.

Finally, I'm working up to re-installing the rear seats.

Book your service in online, add the flare into the comments
    if they say they did not notice it again, offer to take the service manager for a drive to show him

Who knows about the DPFs on these cars only time will tell they have had a few attempts at trying to fix it hopfully they have sorted it.

If you know a good mechanic, i would go els where

Comment

Agree with Snowhite... book on-line & add your concerns into the notes. Then they at least have a record of your concerns are. Doesn't matter if they say they can't detect it, you've made note of it via their on-line booking form, so they can't deny having been told. Remember, people can deny getting a phone call. They can't deny what's written in black & white.

Comment

Is this "flare" just the automatic transmission using engine braking? Its designed to drop to a lower gear and use the revs to help slow you down. Admittedly mine doesn't do it very often, and when it does its usually not the best time to be doing it.

My last warranty service is in the next week or two. Im compiling a list of things i want checked, but as usual i know nothing will be changed especially with the 6th gear issues

Comment

• greyone58
          greyone58 commented
          Editing a comment
          It's more like the transmission momentarily slips into neutral and thus revs slightly. Also I should correct the circumstances and say is occurs mostly when in the roundabout doing a left or right-hand turn (not straight through).

Originally posted by greyone58 View Post
        So the Fortuner went it for its last fixed priced service. It will be out of new car warranty in December.

Although I've never had a problem with the DPF, I always ask for a manual burn. When I asked this time, the service person said that they have now implemented a super burn, whatever that means. They also implemented the latest(?) ECU update which is supposed to remedy ongoing DPF issues. Bold statement, followed by saying that Toyota is getting a handle on problem.

The other issue has been with the automatic transmission. It has a tendency to 'flare' when slowing down for some roundabouts. At every service I've had it listed to be checked. At every service they say that they cannot duplicate the issue. It's more a slight irritation than annoyance. Should I just live with it?

So, do I continue getting it serviced by Toyota, or find a good diesel mechanic au fait with the 2.8 issues?

Overall, very happy with the car. I have been achieving under 8ltr/100km (best 7.5), admittedly that's mostly highway driving and no load.

Finally, I'm working up to re-installing the rear seats.
        FWIW, mine does the flare thing around corners too, a mates 2.8 Prado does the same. I just assume its a quirk of the gearbox. Doesnt bother me too much so I just put up with it.

Comment

Never noticed it on our Prado

Comment

Working...
          X