Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying Used/Out of Warranty - Lots of potential issues. How's yours going?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying Used/Out of Warranty - Lots of potential issues. How's yours going?

Shopping around for a 30-35k family 4wd auto wagon, will be my daily, do the odd towing of my race car a few times a year, do some wood trailer towing on my steep block and also allow us to do some mild off road touring/camping for fun. Up til now, my basic modded 80 series has just been a weekend/farm car and I couldn't live with it as a daily (It's also pterol/gas/auto so it smashes fuel).

Have driven PajSport, MUX, 150 Prado, NX Pajero and Fortuner. Aiming for less than 80ks and as new a year model as possible for a few modern conveniences and updated safety gear due to it being my daily.

Shortlist looks like this (have ruled out the others for various reasons)

- 2015-16 GXL Fortuner (GX is missing the centre display cluster and has blanking plates on the steering wheel which I dislike)
    - 2009-2012 Prado (Petrol or TD, more on that below).
    - 2014-2016 Pajero (No DPF on these).

I liked how the Fortuner drove and it has nice features but after joining a few Facebook groups and reading on here I am concerned with the growing issues of the 2.8L

- DPF and 5th injector issues.
    - Very expensive and time consuming timing chain repair issue (I know this is fixed from mid MY18 onwards but that is out of budget). Do Toyota fix these on out of warranty vehicles if they are only a TSB an not a Recall?
    - Growing reports of trans harshness.
    - Dust getting past the filter. Again, TSB vs Recall plus buying a car that has had factory filters on it for 60-80ks and who knows what FOD has been done to the turbo and internals.

I can always illegally install DPF delete and tune the Fortuner to remove that issue, but that doesn't avoid the timing chain issue which is probably my biggest concern as it's such a big job to rectify (I'm a fairly handy home mechanic, but most were talking about Toyota having the car for 3-4 days and removing the engine which seems extreme for a timing chain. Air filter I can simply improve seal or swap in aftermarket filter with better seal, but as above, who knows what damage was already done.

By comparison, the Pajero is bigger, has a well developed 3.2L and 5psd auto combo with very little reported issues. The car itself is arguably not as well made inside and I dislike the rear gate, but owners seem to swear by them and the value for money is very good plus it has a factory rear diff lock across the range.

The Prado is an outside choice because it's one of the few proper 4WDs that can be had in Petrol (at all) or with he last of the 3L TDs (in the budget) which will hopefully not crack pistons like the earlier ones? I realise they are more thirsty (petrol that is), but with less potential issues and having coming from a Petrol background I am semi interested in this option, the downside is for the money they are much older, they are quite boaty in their handling and are more dated inside and do not have a factory rear diff lock in the models within this budget and k's - plus many argue the factory rear locker is not that great in them anyway.

For those buying used/keeping past the warranty, what are your thoughts on the Fortuner and the 2.8L in general? Do you think it will go the distance and how are you addressing the known issues? After market warranty? Extended Toyota warranty option?

Cheers

Hi,
    I have a 2015 GX Auto (purchased early 2016), now at 60K and have had none of the listed issues. DPF hasn't skipped a beat. The timing chain thing concerns me, but my engine sounds fine to me. It's hard to know how widespread the issues are when typically only the problem ones get reported. There must be a lot of 2.8's now out there... especially with Hilux the no.1 selling vehicle for the last few years.

The single problem I've had in 3yrs is a weeping transfer case seal which was fixed without fuss under warranty, there's a post about it here somewhere.

BTW, rear diff-lock is standard across all Fortuners too.

Good luck with your choice.
    Dave

Comment

Hi-Ya. Mine's a 2015 GX auto bought in March 2016, & has 70K on the clock. Was a demmo model. DPF; no issues but the DPF computer updates were performed by Toyota anyway. No timing chain noises or issues (touch wood). Gearbox; still have the odd problem with it hunting for the right gear when going around a corner or round-a-bout which I had Toyota look at a couple of times but it still happens. While it gives me the $hits now & then, I can live with it.

Personally I'd try going for as newer model as possible, factoring in engine & towing specs. You mention family 4WD, so 'maybe' look at internal room for the number of people you're gonna have in the back seat. Not sure if the Pajero is actually internally wider than a Tuner. Then I suppose look at the amount of creature comforts, bells & whistles one car gives over the other. Not always an easy choice.

You mentioned weekend/farm car, so the rear diff lock could be an advantage. All the best with what you decide.
      Anthony

Comment

take a look here - https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...arranty-issues

there have been some issues arise , but the vast majority of Tunas have been good to thier owners even at higher mileages . The main thing as what ive seen on Facebook pages , is that Toyota have been covering these items outside warranty , unlike Ford , Jeep , VW and Nissan. Our consumer laws are pretty pissweak in this country so i dont know how long this goodwill can last.

in my own car , Jan 16 at 45klm , ive had the transfer case actuator , timing chains , DPF , heater fan, fuel filter housing , heater hose , seat base , air cleaner dust issue and software updates . Would i buy another one - yes. I figure that all the known issues will be sorted out by now.
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
          Hi,
          I have a 2015 GX Auto (purchased early 2016), now at 60K and have had none of the listed issues. DPF hasn't skipped a beat. The timing chain thing concerns me, but my engine sounds fine to me. It's hard to know how widespread the issues are when typically only the problem ones get reported. There must be a lot of 2.8's now out there... especially with Hilux the no.1 selling vehicle for the last few years.

The single problem I've had in 3yrs is a weeping transfer case seal which was fixed without fuss under warranty, there's a post about it here somewhere.

BTW, rear diff-lock is standard across all Fortuners too.

Good luck with your choice.
          Dave
          Seems to be reported among the Hilux crew as well, but less so Prado crew, perhaps due to additional balance shaft.

Sounds like you've had an OK run, I guess I'm trying to see forward and think about how these cars will be with 200ks on them etc

Did see diff lock is standard which is great, hopefully better to engage than the one in the Prado.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
            Hi-Ya. Mine's a 2015 GX auto bought in March 2016, & has 70K on the clock. Was a demmo model. DPF; no issues but the DPF computer updates were performed by Toyota anyway. No timing chain noises or issues (touch wood). Gearbox; still have the odd problem with it hunting for the right gear when going around a corner or round-a-bout which I had Toyota look at a couple of times but it still happens. While it gives me the $hits now & then, I can live with it.

Personally I'd try going for as newer model as possible, factoring in engine & towing specs. You mention family 4WD, so 'maybe' look at internal room for the number of people you're gonna have in the back seat. Not sure if the Pajero is actually internally wider than a Tuner. Then I suppose look at the amount of creature comforts, bells & whistles one car gives over the other. Not always an easy choice.

You mentioned weekend/farm car, so the rear diff lock could be an advantage. All the best with what you decide.
            Anthony
            Model will be dictated by budget, plus I see Toyota offers an extended warranty but only to cars under 120ks and bought used at Toyota dealer.

Paj is definitely roomier inside, it's just not quite as "nice" a place to be. Paj has the diff lock also, but is monocoque instead of ladder like a Fortuner so there will be some small differences in flex/ride etc.

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
              take a look here - https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...arranty-issues

there have been some issues arise , but the vast majority of Tunas have been good to thier owners even at higher mileages . The main thing as what ive seen on Facebook pages , is that Toyota have been covering these items outside warranty , unlike Ford , Jeep , VW and Nissan. Our consumer laws are pretty pissweak in this country so i dont know how long this goodwill can last.

in my own car , Jan 16 at 45klm , ive had the transfer case actuator , timing chains , DPF , heater fan, fuel filter housing , heater hose , seat base , air cleaner dust issue and software updates . Would i buy another one - yes. I figure that all the known issues will be sorted out by now.

That's a long list of issues for the K's traveled, and you'd still buy another? It's not just the cost of out of warranty repairs, it's the time and hassle when you live out of town, have kids/car seats, school drop offs etc etc.

As above, there's am extended warranty, but I would rather just not be at the dealership, whether I'm paying or not.

Given you were under warranty I assume you received a loan car as required.

Comment

For anyone interested in the extended warranty, details are here - https://www.toyota.com.au/insurance/extended-warranty

Comment

• Anthony
                  Anthony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Been on to Toyota re an extended warranty. Was told car has to be less than 3 yrs old AND less than 90,000 km. Mine's over 3 yrs (2015) but only done 76,000. So I don't qualify, (as I only meet 1 of the 2 criteria), but they still gave me a ref/no. and $1200 quote for a 3yr 100,000 km extended warranty. I asked for clarification on the 3yrs AND less than 90K km. If they accept it being over 3yrs old and still under 90k km, I think I'll be getting the extended warranty. All my communications have been by email, not phone.

• Spook1205
                  Spook1205 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Wouldn’t touch it

• Anthony
                  Anthony commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Spook. As it turns out I don't qualify for it. Looks like the ref/no. and quote I got the first time I asked was wrong.

Hi ActionDan

I have a 2015 Crusade, and I highly recommend the Fortuner, and it would tick all your boxes. I have had the issues with DPF and the timing chain. Toyota have fixed both. I never had the issue with the dust intake, but I do have a snorkel and a K&N filter which seals far better than OEM.

The Fortuner, together with the 2.8 now exclusively used in the Prado, Hilux and Fortuner was all new. With this there are always going to be 'teething' issues. The main issues you have identified - DPF, timing chain, and dust ingress bypassing air filter.

All of these issues now are recognised by Toyota, who have released TSB's for these (fix for air filter for non current MY vehicles is still on the way I believe). Toyota also fixing outside of warranty, which the yare actually by law required to do under Australian Consumer Law.

So, if buying a used Fortuner and you have these issues, I would expect they would be rectified for you by Toyota. You may also mitigate the risk by buying from a dealer, have these items noted on your contract of sale to be fixed if they ever present in the car. Given the engine is used now in so many vehicles worldwide, any systemic issues I suspect have now emerged and there is a fix.

Out of the vehicles you have mentioned, I would go the Fortuner, but the Paj I have always had a soft spot for, and is a very close second!

All the best!

Comment

Originally posted by Bussa View Post
                  Hi ActionDan

I have a 2015 Crusade, and I highly recommend the Fortuner, and it would tick all your boxes. I have had the issues with DPF and the timing chain. Toyota have fixed both. I never had the issue with the dust intake, but I do have a snorkel and a K&N filter which seals far better than OEM.

The Fortuner, together with the 2.8 now exclusively used in the Prado, Hilux and Fortuner was all new. With this there are always going to be 'teething' issues. The main issues you have identified - DPF, timing chain, and dust ingress bypassing air filter.

All of these issues now are recognised by Toyota, who have released TSB's for these (fix for air filter for non current MY vehicles is still on the way I believe). Toyota also fixing outside of warranty, which the yare actually by law required to do under Australian Consumer Law.

So, if buying a used Fortuner and you have these issues, I would expect they would be rectified for you by Toyota. You may also mitigate the risk by buying from a dealer, have these items noted on your contract of sale to be fixed if they ever present in the car. Given the engine is used now in so many vehicles worldwide, any systemic issues I suspect have now emerged and there is a fix.

Out of the vehicles you have mentioned, I would go the Fortuner, but the Paj I have always had a soft spot for, and is a very close second!

All the best!
                  Dust is more a concern for me as I'll be buying used, so if the owner has never mitigated that issue, who knows how the VGT has handled it not to mention anything further downstream.

Objectively, the Pajero gives mea greater sense of overall confidence, but the Fortuner is just that much nicer to drive as a daily I think.

Comment

• Bussa
                    Bussa commented
                    Editing a comment
                    A mate has a Paj, and yes it is a completely different driving experience, for the worse which is unusual for a monocoque frame. But the platform really hasn't changed in 10 years..!

I was offered a loan car each time mine went in for warranty work , but i never took one. two reasons is that a loaner was not always available when required and the excess seemed higher than my own besides Im retired and ride a bike to the various places i do volunteer work at.
                  I also looked a Pajero ( not the butt ugly PS ) but considered the platform quite old and overdue for an upgrade. Would have preferred a Mitsu V6 donk over their diesel offering as well. Our second car is a MQ Triton and it has had no issues at all so far but its only got 16k on it lol
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
                    I was offered a loan car each time mine went in for warranty work , but i never took one. two reasons is that a loaner was not always available when required and the excess seemed higher than my own besides Im retired and ride a bike to the various places i do volunteer work at.
                    I also looked a Pajero ( not the butt ugly PS ) but considered the platform quite old and overdue for an upgrade. Would have preferred a Mitsu V6 donk over their diesel offering as well. Our second car is a MQ Triton and it has had no issues at all so far but its only got 16k on it lol
                    I've also been looking at Petrol Prado, knowing full well it will use more L per 100, but that it should be a relatively hassle free ownership given not much goes wrong with them. It's piece of mind vs the potential for a small saving with the TD over the long run if nothing serious breaks. I put Fortuner in that category, maybe worse than Prado as the Prado seems exempt from the timing chain issue (due to balance shaft maybe?)

The Paj, whilst old, seems to be the most reliable TD engine and gearbox combo of them all on paper/according to owners. Fortuner is just nicer to drive (I actually prefer it to Prado as it's lighter and more nimble).

Comment

Originally posted by ActionDan View Post

I've also been looking at Petrol Prado, knowing full well it will use more L per 100, but that it should be a relatively hassle free ownership given not much goes wrong with them. It's piece of mind vs the potential for a small saving with the TD over the long run if nothing serious breaks. I put Fortuner in that category, maybe worse than Prado as the Prado seems exempt from the timing chain issue (due to balance shaft maybe?)

The Paj, whilst old, seems to be the most reliable TD engine and gearbox combo of them all on paper/according to owners. Fortuner is just nicer to drive (I actually prefer it to Prado as it's lighter and more nimble).
                      The last of the petrol prados are bulletproof marvellous motor.
                      If they still made them new I would be looking to buy one now

Comment

Working...
                      X