Apple car play and Android

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple car play and Android

I have read and seen this available for corolla a Apple car play upgrade.
    So Is the Fortuner going to get an upgrade available?

Just saw this on the Toyota's toyota/connect screen:
    If you purchased a Current Generation 2017 Camry, a Current Generation 2018 Corolla Hatch or a Post-facelift 2018 Prius you can have CarPlay® and Android Auto™ installed for $199 inc. GST by booking a service at a Toyota Dealer. To make the process easier, if you book your install through myToyota you’ll have all your details conveniently stored in one place for next time. Follow the steps below to book. Registration is quick and easy. Doesn't say if it'll apply to any of their other toyota cars.

You could always look at the Kenwood or Polaris infotainment / interface units too.

Comment

Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will not be available for current-gen Hilux or Fortuner. The head units are not compatible and we will be awaiting the next generation sometime around 2025 I suspect.

Comment

Bugger was hoping it might become available

Comment

Originally posted by Bussa View Post
          Apple CarPlay and Android Auto will not be available for current-gen Hilux or Fortuner. The head units are not compatible and we will be awaiting the next generation sometime around 2025 I suspect.
          This is a very optimistic statement 😆

Comment

So has anyone managed to fit an aftermarket android auto apple car play that works with the steering controls and fits nicely. Or managed to purchase the new 2021 version and retro fit it as my 2019 Crusade has a great JBL sound but the Sat nav is ok to find street names but hopeless to find points of interest etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Goodi View Post
              So has anyone managed to fit an aftermarket android auto apple car play that works with the steering controls and fits nicely. Or managed to purchase the new 2021 version and retro fit it as my 2019 Crusade has a great JBL sound but the Sat nav is ok to find street names but hopeless to find points of interest etc.
              Yes, just had a Kenwood DDX9020DABS fitted. much nicer unit than the stock Toyota number. Android Auto works fine via usb cable, though I think I need to update my phone for it to work wirelessly.

The steering wheel controls work well without the need for an interface (like I had to buy as an extra when I put new Pioneer system into my previous Suzuki GV3).

You do lose the fuel figures and distance to empty that showed on the display (but still available on the central dash display) but not a great sacrifice for the added far superior sound system and the added Android Auto.

And the loss of the larger displayed Distance to Empty is probably a good thing anyway as it was a tad dodgy at the best of times and would have been made redundant anyway when I soon add a long range tank.

Comment

Nice work . Mine is a crusade with the JBL love the sound but hate the sat nav. So how is the sat nav does it mimic the phones Google maps etc and if no phone service does the sat nav still work and a pic of it fitted would be great. And last thing cost ? And who fitted it thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by Goodi View Post
                  Nice work . Mine is a crusade with the JBL love the sound but hate the sat nav. So how is the sat nav does it mimic the phones Google maps etc and if no phone service does the sat nav still work and a pic of it fitted would be great. And last thing cost ? And who fitted it thanks again
                  No Sat nav on my Kenwood, but it does have a Sat antenna for the clock which is sat nav set. You can buy a GARMIN sat nav unit that plugs into the kenwood as an optional extra and makes it full Garmin unit. But as I have a stand-alone Garmin sat nav unit with free updates for life (in my Hilux as well) I didn’t see a need to buy the Garmin add on unit (yet).

I find that around town and where there is phone coverage Google Maps works quite well via the Android Auto, and I think it is better than my Garmins.

Now I’d just to know if I can fit the replaced Fortuner sound system into my old 2003 Hilux and give it a bit of an upgrade.

Comment

Working...
                  X