Big problem with common rail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big problem with common rail

Had a warning message today. See photo. Not good at all. Someone else was driving the car when it came on. I believe when they started the car. I drove it to the dealer and it was limping.

Dealer has had a look today. They called me on the bell of business close and think it is the common rail. Needs parts..

Couldn't believe it when they said parts need to come from JAPAN !!!

i understand the Fortuner is a niche car but one of the reasons i bought was that it shares the same engine as the volume selling hilux and prado.. surely they have spare parts for that engine which is across all 3 models in the country !

they have indicated a few weeks wait for the part. . Great given it is our family car... still waiting for them to come through with a loan car..find out more tomorrow.
    Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Mate that sucks, keep us updated, mines nearly ready for it's 20,000KM service, I did a quick google, and interestingly this came up. http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/15-...engine_eng.htm

Search for fail in the contents of the page. basically it summarises this:

DPF passive regeneration can be performed by itself under the condition of exhaust gases high temperature. However, over time the amount of soot in the filter is increased and its capacity is reduced which requires active regeneration. The control unit determines clogging of the filter by analysis of driving conditions, and activates injectors, the exhaust injector, glow plugs and controls the engine speed. The DPF material temperature increases and soot particles burn out.
    But if driving conditions do not allow to perform active regeneration automatically for a long time, soot accumulation may exceed the specified limits, so then the ECU illuminates DPF warning lamp, offering the driver to move at a constant speed above 60 km/h to perform active regeneration. When the maximum level of soot accumulation exceeded the warning lamp flashes, offering the driver to go to the workshop to perform regeneration in the manual mode. Finally, in order to avoid damage to the DPF, ECU activates fail-safe mode with limited engine power output.
    HiLux has optional switch of manual mode regeneration.

SCR (selective catalytic reduction) - used to reduce of NOx contents in the exhaust gas for Euro 6 emission standards by the injection of urea solution.
    After injection of the solution the water vaporizes, then urea dissociates into isocyanic acid and ammonia by hydrolysis.
    CO(NH2)2 > NH3 + HNCO
    At high temperature the isocyanic acid in its turn dissociates to carbon dioxide and ammonia by hydrolysis.
    HNCO + H2O > NH3 + CO2
    Ammonia accumulates in the catalyst and reacts with nitrogen oxides of exhaust gases, resulting in a pure nitrogen and water.
    NO + NO2 + 2NH3 > 2N2 + 3H2O

Comment

could be anything really . did they mention a fault code number ? Pxxx ? if it was that serious the engine wouldnt be running at all. if you can keep us posted it would be great , and maybe even take a photo of the finished repair invoice ?
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

I've seen similar posts on Facebook groups from overseas.

Generally it has something to do with the Air measuring system or Fuel Delivery system. I this one below was due to faulty map sensor. Other posts on the group reveal issues with rats (yes, Rats) biting into the injector wiring

Comment

4Tuner Do you remember your car ever doing a DPF burn?

Comment

I have not noticed the DPF burn but a few members commented it may be because i dont have a snorkel and less noticeable

also i drive the car about 20% of it use with others the other time so may be happening when i am not driving.

ill keep you posted how it ends up

these things happen.. my gripe is how it can be a 3 week wait for parts. How many of these engines do toyota sell in australia per year across hilux prado and fortuner!! Should be an overnight delivery from the warehouse.

Comment

i reckon the parts would be on hand in Thailand or Indonesia where the cars are made . wouldnt be hard to express post them out here probably 4 days at most
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

• 4Tuner
                4Tuner commented
                Editing a comment
                Yes maybe the 3 week thing is underpromising to overdeliver.we will see. Confirmed as a problem with a pressure valve in the common rail.

Hire car provided today by toyota. An Avis commodore. Rubbish compared to the high riding forty

• thehunteroz
                thehunteroz commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah 3 weeks is B.S. longest i have ever had to wait for parts for my Fords was a week and that was a damn gearbox! (and over a long weekend as well)

Just get the dealer to note down the error number and then clear the error and see if it comes back with some driving. Usually they never do.
              Often there is a single incorrect reading from a sensor and as the ECU tries to self correct for a non-existent problem, the errors simply cascade as now other sensors detect bad settings imposed by the ECU.
              Once the visit dealer message is displayed only the dealer can clear it by connecting to the diagnostic port under the steering column.

Comment

got the forty back yesterday.. a total of 13 days in the shop.

As discussed a problem with the common rail pressure. They would not give me a printout of what was installed, part numbers etc. I did see a price of around $1400 and a part number but did not give it to me. It was under warranty of course so I didn't pay that. I believe they have replaced a substantial amount of the common rail.

Comment

• thehunteroz
                  thehunteroz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That doesn't sound right, not sure where you are based mate but! I think as a consumer you have rights to ask what parts were replaced regardless of whether or not it was under warranty

• 4Tuner
                  4Tuner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  inner sydney

are there any new shiny bits that you can see and photograph ? might give us a clue as to what was replaced?
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

• 4Tuner
                  4Tuner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  haven't had a look under the bonnet yet - will do so tonight..

I asked for a printout and they said they only have this for a service and not for a warranty repair. was in a rush and didn't have time to argue had to leave. It wouldn't mean much to me anyway (diesel engines are not my area of specialty!) but was going to upload to the forum

I agree with others & you should demand a list of what they did. Quite simply without it, (& lets hope not), should it happen again they can tell you its something completely different & charge you for similar earlier repairs. Especially once the car's out of warranty.

Others on this Forum have posted images of their invoices etc showing warranty repairs. Your dealer is trying to scam you!! I use Sydney City Toyota at Waterloo & not had any probs with invoicing.

In fact I had the latest transmission upgrade installed today 3 May, at no cost under warranty, & its on my invoice. If it helps, my invoice no, is TJ16371605, & it appears on Page 1, & its job no. 1.

If they refuse, contact Toyota head office customer care. Toyota head office is around the Taren Point area.

Comment

Also, just remind them of their (ie Toyota Australia's) own company's Vision & Philosophy. You can read it yourself at http://www.toyota.com.au/toyota/comp...and-philosophy.

Not giving you the information/documentation you seek is against their own ethics.

Comment

Warranty repairs belong on an invoice regardless if you paid for it or not. I recently took in my 10 year old Mitsubishi in for a warranty​ repair (Takata airbag). The invoice contained part numbers and details of the repair even though I didn't pay a cent.

As others have suggested, the auto software update was also on my invoice in my last service for my Fortuner.

Comment

Thanks guys

still chasing my refund for the car hire (i had to organise)

when i get that ill hassle on the invoice

Comment

Any updates regarding this?

Comment

Working...
                        X