Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air on board

Hi,

I'm looking at installing an air on board system on my GXL, I have already installed a dual battery system so that space is already used.
    Have anyone installed a compressor in the engine bay? What about an air tank, I'm looking for ideas on where to install it, I'd prefer to have it outside, maybe some available space underneath the car?

Thanks,
    Anderson

I've also considered this. But considering the cost of dual piston portable units, why would you bother going with onboard air with a tank?

Comment

Not sure of your rigs set up with drawers / cargo barrier etc or the size of the compressor with tank, but would something like that fit on the floor behind the rear seat? You may have to stand it upright but it may be an option for you.

There's good air pumps out there, but I got a new ARB compressor (no affiliation to them) when I got the Tuner, & its a much better unit than the 16 yr old I got rid of.

For what its worth, I toyed with the idea of a air compressor with tank, but decided against it as I wouldn't really didn't need the tank side of it.

Comment

I'm also interested in anyone who has mounted a compressor (other than where the second battery goes). The small ARB one (without tank) would do me for tyre inflation, but I'm not sure even it will fit under the bonnet.
        I asked the ARB installers to look for a spot when it went in to get suspension and bullbar. The best they could suggest was under the passengers seat, sounded like a fair effort and the labour cost was high. I'd rather it under the bonnet where its not going to bother passengers...

Dave

Comment

I saw this on the Perth Fortuner Off-road Facebook site.
          2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

Wow, that looks awesome!
            We need him to join up here and give us an update

Dave

Comment

That does look awesome. Is the only reason for having a storage tank just to give the pump a bit of a rest and for more pressure? is a tank really needed?

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Reason for a tank would be a time convenience thing if your pump is small. The air is ready to go

Well I couldn't help myself and installed an ARB compressor this weekend, similar to that pictured above.
              It was kinda fiddly, but not too bad. The pics will give you an idea of the orientation of everything. Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice one Dave👍

Neat & nicely done. Would be keen to know if there's any rattle noises after a few rough track trips.

Comment

I'll be sure to let you know! I think it will be fine, I've tried to be nice and neat with cable ties etc. Although it's small, the ARB compressor is a heavy little unit! and that tray is of a fairly light construction (but not too light). Since its mounted on the base, with gravity directly perpendicular to the mount, I don't think it will bend/crack/flex, but time will tell. On the upside, it's not a critical component, and not even part of the body proper, so if it doesn't work out, no harm done.

Dave

Comment

Great Job DaveC !! whats the sound like inside the cab with it running? Pretty noisy / rattly? or not too bad?

Comment

It's not rattly at all, more of a low/dull sound, but it is still quite loud, particularly from the back seat though that was with an empty car. I'm hoping that with a full load in the back (fridge etc), it wont be loud enough to bother the kids too much.

Dave

Comment

Comment

nice one!

Dave

Comment

I'm interested in getting the arb twin compressor and i would like to mount it in the back in front of my fridge but i don't want to open a window or door etc to run the hose to pump up my tyres. Any ideas on where i could run an outlet to the outside of the car where i can just plug the hose to for inflation?

Comment

Working...
                          X