Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Areas close to Brisbane for day trips

Hi everyone,
    I don't spend a lot of time on forums but am really enjoying the off-roading in my first 4WD since a (cringe) Kia Rocsta in the early 1990s! The hardest thing is finding somewhere easy to get to for some off-roading in safety to explore the Fortuner's abilities.

I enjoyed a 1/2 daytrip to the Glasshouse Mountains - a few weeks back with the Fortuner only 2 weeks old - wet and clay made it very slippery and trying to climb even small uphill steep sections was hopeless - my co-traveller was in a GU Patrol with Maxxis Bighorns but he couldn't make it up either! Diff lock did nothing to help at all - no traction on the clay mud.

I wondered about other easy to reach day trips people have tried? Duck Creek Road gets mentioned but some of the youtube footage looks very easy = must depend on the weather / how wet it is. Straddie and Morton seem good options but I haven't mustered the time to go for a weekend.

Any really close to Brisbane options?

Share your favourite spots if you are happy to do so.... please...

Happy trail exploring.
    J

Hi Johton1971 and welcome to the forum.

With my very limited Brisbane experience being from all the way over from the other side of the country, the only thing I can suggest is maybe up past Noosa on the dunes north. I saw some fourbys playing up there last year when we were visiting that area...

I am sure there are few more experienced people who can add some more places though.

I hope you are enjoying the forum and your new ride.

Shaun
    Fortuner Forum Default Signature!

Comment

Thanks Shaun,
      There are so many options and I really want to see what the stock GX can do before I splurge hard earned on extras... Certainly the All-terrains on the GX found the clay/ mud very tough but I didn't air down and wanted to just explore ground clearance and off road suspension travel / ride and at least nothing broke... I did discover all my angles - ramp over and approach and departure but even the plastic tank protection thingy seemed to hold up well enough!!! (no rocks encountered though....).

Comment

Originally posted by johton1971 View Post
        Hi everyone,
        I don't spend a lot of time on forums but am really enjoying the off-roading in my first 4WD since a (cringe) Kia Rocsta in the early 1990s! The hardest thing is finding somewhere easy to get to for some off-roading in safety to explore the Fortuner's abilities.

I enjoyed a 1/2 daytrip to the Glasshouse Mountains - a few weeks back with the Fortuner only 2 weeks old - wet and clay made it very slippery and trying to climb even small uphill steep sections was hopeless - my co-traveller was in a GU Patrol with Maxxis Bighorns but he couldn't make it up either! Diff lock did nothing to help at all - no traction on the clay mud.

I wondered about other easy to reach day trips people have tried? Duck Creek Road gets mentioned but some of the youtube footage looks very easy = must depend on the weather / how wet it is. Straddie and Morton seem good options but I haven't mustered the time to go for a weekend.

Happy trail exploring.
        J

Hey johton1971, head up to Mt. Mee and the surrounding area...had an excellent weekend the other weeked.

Comment

Is City View 4WD park still open down near Beaudesert? Went down there once with the old Surf

Comment

Thanks mabbott and Psykamaholik,
            I think I will try Mt Mee next. The regional 4x4 parks seem a good weekend or early start daytrip option - maybe The Springs 4x4 or City View ... I will phone if they are still open.

The tyre options I have looked at are the Hankook Dynapro MT RT03s in a taller tyre on ROH steel wheels... seems good value cf the BFs and Toyos and others. Just still need to save up....

Happy wheeling

Comment

Grab yourself a copy of Dirty Weekends - http://www.dirtyweekends.com.au/inde...e=where-to-buy
              We had one when we first started 4wd about 15 years ago and found it had excellent trips in it.
              When we get the new car might invest in another copy again to get out and about.

BJ

Comment

Hi everyone,

Happy trail exploring.
                J
                What about Mount Mee it has varying tracks from easy to reasonably hard.... Close to Brissie.

Comment

• johton1971
                  johton1971 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Hutch,
                  Mount Mee is another good option and I will go there too as it is very close - the Glasshouse Mountains after wet weather is a really slippery clay mud proposition and once I get some Hangkook Dynapro MTs I will what a difference it makes over the stock Yokohama ATs. Just saving up the $$$
                  J

We just spent the morning on Bribie, absolutely lovely day and only 45 minutes drive fron our place on the northside

Comment

Hi everyone,

Happy trail exploring.
                  J
                  I took my crusade on the beach at Ipskip point
                  Up glass house mountains
                  and Duck creek road.
                  not a single slip and all in h4.
                  love it heaps

Comment

Thanks for your post Bretts-Forty,
                    How did you go at the beach? How low did you drop your tyre pressures? I have the GX with the 17" Yokohama Geolander ATs and they run at 29PSI on the road. I am looking at a beach day trip in the next few weeks work permitting! Love the glasshouse mountains but when wet it's so slippery...
                    Keep on enjoying that great machine of yours!
                    J

Comment

• Bretts-Forty
                      Bretts-Forty commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Gday
                      Im running the original tyres on the Crusade which are road tyres.
                      I didnt bother to deflate.
                      I went on and tried soft and hard and it blew through it.
                      Even the exit was rutted and mounded in the middle.
                      Put it in H4 Sport mode and with a run up i flawed it and it skipped and jumped but got through 1st time.

Im loving my Forty

Originally posted by Bretts-Forty View Post

I took my crusade on the beach at Ipskip point
                    Up glass house mountains
                    and Duck creek road.
                    not a single slip and all in h4.
                    love it heaps

Just went up to Mt Mee and the Forty had it easy.

Comment

Hi everyone,

Happy trail exploring.
                      J
                      I visited Glass House in my crusade and found it easy
                      Mud, rock's and ruts with upside cars oh yeah heaps of fun

Comment

The condamine river track is a good family day trip. Not exactly 4wding though.
                        Duck creek has always been fun for me. The rock face 3 quarters the way up is always a challenge, Especially with the approach and departure angles.
                        As others have said glass house and mt mee are always safe bets.
                        Ripley out near ipswich is another good/free option,

Comment

Bribie island makes a good beach run escape for the day , we live on the northern end of the Gold Coast and it is only 90 min from us it would be heaps closer from Brizzie .

Comment

Working...
                          X