Removal of GXL roof rails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removal of GXL roof rails

Looking to add a roof awning and the overhang from the mounted location of roof bars on the rails sit too far forward with overhang at over 1m. Seeking if anyone has removed the roof rails and mounted a roof bar closer to the rear door? If anyone has any pics on how the rail covers,are removed that would be appreciated.

Are you using toyota roof bars? Rhino roof bars can be mounted anywhere on the rails, quite close to the rear of the vehicle if you chose.

Comment

I fitted the Rhino tracks into the roof ( with rivets ) , and there are definitly no threaded holes there so at a guess the factory rails will be riveted in as well.
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

I had Rhino tracks fitted to my GX & use Rhino bars. I already had a 2.5x2.5 TigerII awning & bolted it onto the bars for a 10+k trip to Darwin & back. The 2.5 length may be too long for the car, (previously I had a Patrol), but I just moved the awning forward enough so the tailgate would hit.

Comment

It seems that if you purchase the factory roof bars to go onto the rails they have locating tabs that only allows the roof rack bars to be located in the one spot. The Rhino bars don't have these locating tabs and can be moved to suit but have the recommendation of no more than 800mm from the 'B' pillar. This looks a suitable solution with a platform so that I can mount a 2.5m side awning and light bar to the platform. Just need to now save a title. More to make the purchase. Thanks for all the comments.

Comment

Hey I have fitted the Rhino platform to my GLX. I have a 2.5m x 2.5m awning fitted. I just spread the mounts further apart to suit the larger platform. I have loaded it up and done quiet a few trips and it still feels rock solid.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	Brush bars and side steps.jpg
Views:	1063
Size:	177.2 KB
ID:	5295
            Attached Files

Comment

• Walshy
              Walshy commented
              Editing a comment
              Great rig John. I will be doing the same and spreading out further the bars to suit. Thanks.

I'll be the bearer of good and bad news, I know there are already some on here who have done it too.

I removed the factory Crusade rails which each have six 10 mm bolts fitted, bolted from inside the cab under the headlining. Not a fun task to remove. I removed all grab handles seat belts visors and upper side trims and broke only the rear boot interior light. I didn't completely remove head lining as I felt I could hold it back enough to get the bolts out. Got to be honest it took me about 5 hours and left creases in the lining. The creases have almost completely gone now after 4 months.

I fitted the aftermarket Rhino rails so I could get and extra set of feet on the roof and have a 100 kg rating instead of 80 kg. Works a treat.

I used 1/4 inch ratchet with a long extension and a ratchet ring spanner for one above side airbags.

Drilling ten holes per side for Rhino rails was nerve racking and I wouldn't recommend it if your light on previous use of hand tools. I used extra sikaflex body sealant to help seal up old bolt locations.

Hope this helps. I didn't take any photos of install only finished product.

Comment

• Pablo
              Pablo commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow JRES, I was thinking to buy and install the backbone system myself but since you mentioned the roof linen needs to be removed I think I've just changed my mind. Maybe I will just install the platform without backbone, using Rhino brackets for the rails instead.

Originally posted by JRES View Post
            I'll be the bearer of good and bad news, I know there are already some on here who have done it too.

I removed the factory Crusade rails which each have six 10 mm bolts fitted, bolted from inside the cab under the headlining. Not a fun task to remove. I removed all grab handles seat belts visors and upper side trims and broke only the rear boot interior light. I didn't completely remove head lining as I felt I could hold it back enough to get the bolts out. Got to be honest it took me about 5 hours and left creases in the lining. The creases have almost completely gone now after 4 months.

I fitted the aftermarket Rhino rails so I could get and extra set of feet on the roof and have a 100 kg rating instead of 80 kg. Works a treat.

I used 1/4 inch ratchet with a long extension and a ratchet ring spanner for one above side airbags.

Drilling ten holes per side for Rhino rails was nerve racking and I wouldn't recommend it if your light on previous use of hand tools. I used extra sikaflex body sealant to help seal up old bolt locations.

Hope this helps. I didn't take any photos of install only finished product.
            Hi JRES, Looks like a mammoth job mate. I'm looking at installing the Back Bone type myself. The only reason I going this route is I have very limited roof space in the garage. I probably have 70mm clearance from the Tuna Shark Fin aerial tip to the garage door. My question is: Would you mind measuring the height say from the shark fin aerial tip to the top of the Rhino Platform please? If the car won't fit after all that work I won't bother with the Backbone system. Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X