Airbox (stock)100% water sealed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airbox (stock)100% water sealed?

Hi I'm looking at getting a snorkel fit and was told by one of the snorkel suppliers that the stock Fortuner airbox is not 100% water sealed.

This seemed strange to me as no other supplier has mentioned it. His recommendation is to fit a custom airbox to ensure no water leakage.

Does anyone know if this is true?

Hi Knavs, This is definitely true, you can seal the bottom of the airbox with sikaflex (not sillicon) also see links below:
    http://4x4earth.com/forum/index.php?...l-heads.40352/
    http://www.pradopoint.com.au/archive...p/t-20564.html
    https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...safari-snorkel (this one's from our own forum)

Comment

If you open the air filter box and take out the air filter there is a tiny hole at the bottom to let any water that does manage to find it's way in get out. Positive pressure while the engine is running keeps water from flowing in through the hole. It's definitely not worth getting a custom air filter box just to remove that tiny hole, which normally isn't a problem anyway. If you do decide to fill that hole, the trade off is that there is now no escape for any water that does get in (e.g. rain, vandals, children with a water pistol that don't know any better).

Comment

Hi

As Tekka mentioned, there is only a small hole that is designed to let water out should it get in. Issue is, if you become stationary in water, depending on the pressure it will leak through this hole.

I plugged the hole up, and check the air filter box monthly to ensure no water is in there. Has been bone dry for over 12 months now...

Cheers

Comment

• tekka maki
          tekka maki commented
          Editing a comment
          I left the hole open as I'm not too keen to cross any rivers or flood waters that are that deep anyway but yeah, been through some terrible rain with the snorkel and it's always been dry in the air filter box.

Thanks guys, i think ill just plug it up and keep an eye on it.

I'm not super technical so I am amazed that it was omitted from numerous discussions with sales staff, as my assumption was that once the snorkel was on the only way water could get in was through the top.

Comment

• tekka maki
          tekka maki commented
          Editing a comment
          The other potential points of failure are the seals connecting the snorkel to the air filter box. Even if you're never in water deep enough to test them though, the snorkel should give you benefits in the dust.

Hi, I'm a new member. I think it should be noted that if you stall a vehicle mid water crossing a likely place to get water ingress in the motor is through the exhaust. Just thought I'd make the point.

Comment

Interesting... easily fixed with a snorkel for the exhaust pipe I suppose!

Comment

Toyota told me to seal up the hole after fitting the snorkel.

Comment

Working...
            X