ECU behaviour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECU behaviour

Hi all, both my sons and their mate who has a current Hilux, all HD Diesel mechanics by the way, asked me if I had noticed a drop in power in the Tuner. I haven't but the Hilux owner has noticed it and said he corrected it. They say that the ECU can detect and memorise driving habits and style and will adjust power outputs accordingly. I'm not a lead foot and would call my driving style normal. I followed their advice and disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes which they say causes the ECU to lose this memory and resets to factory power settings. Probably my imagination but the car seems a little more spirited. Has anyone heard about this behaviour?
    Cheers Graham

Originally posted by olvansta View Post
    Hi all, both my sons and their mate who has a current Hilux, all HD Diesel mechanics by the way, asked me if I had noticed a drop in power in the Tuner. I haven't but the Hilux owner has noticed it and said he corrected it. They say that the ECU can detect and memorise driving habits and style and will adjust power outputs accordingly. I'm not a lead foot and would call my driving style normal. I followed their advice and disconnected the battery for about 10 minutes which they say causes the ECU to lose this memory and resets to factory power settings. Probably my imagination but the car seems a little more spirited. Has anyone heard about this behaviour?
    Cheers Graham
    There is some truth to that. I work with mechanic who used to work for a dealership in Sydney and he said that when a customer asks for a re-flash of the ECU for a new update or techstream, they usually disconnect the battery have a good chuckle and go for their tea.

Comment

makes some sense - the Aisin V4A51 gearboxes in Mitsus and Toyotas have been learning driving styles since the mid 90s and shifting accordingly.
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

I have heard of ECU's adapting to driving styles, not just diesels but petrols motors as well.

Comment

Working...
        X