Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

rear seats surplus to needs......question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rear seats surplus to needs......question.

Pick up my new Crusade this week. Having the rear seats taken out and custom drawers fitted to rear section. Question. Instead of putting the rear seats in plastic and storing them for a few years in shed, is there a market for them or can someone use them? Or is that just a dumb question? I figure on resale of vehicle, the drawers would stay in as a positive addition to it, rather than re install the seats.

If it helps any, I had drawers in my Patrol when I traded it on the Fortuner. The first question the dealer asked was do you have the 3rd row seats? Not sure I'd have got the same price or less on the trade, but they asked for them.

Comment

It may not pass a registration inspection (e.g. when sold) without the 3rd row, as it is classified as a 7 seater. For this reason alone I'd keep the seats.

Dave

Comment

In NSW they need to be in for rego (inspected every year after 5 years old) or you can get a modification certificate done. That’s if it’s even picked up on.
        that info is straight from an old student who has pink and blue slip certification.
        Not sure on other state laws.
        DaveC do you only have a rego check when sold?

Comment

• DaveC
          DaveC commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, ACT doesn't have yearly checks any more (hasn't for some time).
          You need a roadworthy certificate (available from many independent mechanics) when changing rego (i.e. it's the new buyers responsibility), and if it's under 10yrs old from interstate, it needs an additional 'identity' check where it goes over the pits for a thorough check at the gov't inspection station.

In QLD you can take them out temporarily ( say to go camping in ) but when car sold they need to be in or a mod plate needs to state 5 seater.
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Rego regulations change so much around Australia.
          I wonder if one day the same regulations will apply Australia wide.
          Now I have another question Dave, sorry mate. Are owners abliged to keep their car to a certain roadworthy standard so insurance companies don’t wipe insurance?

Comment

I guess it goes without saying that a car must to be roadworthy to be driven on the road. ACT just doesn't have as rigorous checking I suppose. I have no idea how aggressive insurance companies are at trying to get out of claims!

Dave

Comment

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              Interesting thanks mate. I guess cops would go to town on defects like bald tyres and stuff, they do here

A made with a Prado took out his 3rd row seats for drawers etc, & was told during a Rego check by the mechanic that technically his car wasn't roadworthy, as it now deviated from the manufacturer's spec. So he decided to get a modification / engineer's type certificate to say it was roadworthy without the 3rd row seats.

GVM loads & towing caravans has been reported on in some 4x4 mags recently. Its only a matter time before the law makers decide to start checking these things.

If in doubt on your own weights, go to a weigh station after a trip before you unload the car & get it weighed. You may be surprised how close you are to it.

Comment

Working...
            X