First gear low range

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First gear low range

I have the GX automatic without the DAC & 1st low is not low enough for steep descents in the Flinders Ranges.
    With steep descents, loose shaly rocks & rock steps it is quite scary.
    The rock steps are the issue because first gear is too tall & therefore you end up going too fast & soon as you touch the brakes on the loose rocks you break traction.
    This ends up in an uncontrolled slide so you have to make sure you're pointing in the right direction.

After multiple trips up there I've destroyed my OEM GEOLANDAR G94's & am going to get some TOYO Open Country at2's this week hopefully this improves the situation a little with more traction & maybe I've got to lower my tyre pressures a bit more. (arb deflator says 22psi a arb tyre gauge says 25psi haven't worked out which one is accurate yet)

Any body have any other ideas?

yes i hear you , its common with modern diesel engines they have little engine braking capacity. Ive wondered if the DAC option is just a missing button on the dash as well . I'll have a look at the wiring diagrams and see if i can find any differences.

2016 GX , in White

Comment

ok ive taken a look , it seems the only physical difference is the dash switch , they earth out one pin on the brake actuator marked HDCS . dont know if the GX has the programming already in place for this function or not.
      I am due for the ABS ECU recall in the next couple of months i'll ask the question when it goes in. Might even be worth asking if they can do it as an additional option as well.
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

According to this thread White One it's not available for the GX.

https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...st-control-dac

​​​​​​​Hope you prove otherwise, but it'll probably be priced over the top anyway if it is available.

Comment

maybe another dealer will say it is possible , i dont know. I had DAC on a previous RAV4 which went offroad a fair bit and i found it occiaisonally useful. It was strange having it on a RAV because most of the time a RAV didnt have low first gear and would not make it up the hill to begin with!!.
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

Interesting! I've not been to the Flinders in the Tuner, but I reckon the down hill engine braking in my GX auto, while in low range & using 1st gear is actually very good, & certainly better than my 4sp auto Patrol (been to the Flinders a couple of time in the Patrol). The dealer who told me there's no DAC sensor in the Tuner was Sydney City Toyota. The loose shale is more the problem I'd say in the Flinders...

Comment

ive done some more reading on this issue , and FJ owners in the USA have successfully added DAC by installing the switch , and swapping the engine ECU from a vehicle with DAC. Then you need to reset the Yaw sensor etc via Techstream.
              Swapping the ECU wont work for us as ours are linked to a separate immobiliser ECU.
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

Please let us know how the tyres, Toyo Open Country ATs go(?). What size you getting?

Comment

• gbrought
                  gbrought
                  gbrought commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just fitted Toyo OPAT 2s last week - 265/70/17 on the GX and so far so good (return trip to Canberra). Like on my 2nd set or rims ( BFG KM2s in 265/70/17) the speedo is now accurate according to the GPS.

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                Interesting! I've not been to the Flinders in the Tuner, but I reckon the down hill engine braking in my GX auto, while in low range & using 1st gear is actually very good, & certainly better than my 4sp auto Patrol (been to the Flinders a couple of time in the Patrol). The dealer who told me there's no DAC sensor in the Tuner was Sydney City Toyota. The loose shale is more the problem I'd say in the Flinders...
                The loose shale combined with the rock steps are the problem cause I like to go real slow over the steps to save the sills & the underbody.
                If there are no steps I just cruise down the slope in low without touching the brakes & everything is sweet.

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
                  ive done some more reading on this issue , and FJ owners in the USA have successfully added DAC by installing the switch , and swapping the engine ECU from a vehicle with DAC. Then you need to reset the Yaw sensor etc via Techstream.
                  Swapping the ECU wont work for us as ours are linked to a separate immobiliser ECU.
                  I reckon it'd be pretty expensive to replace the ECU anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by rich View Post
                    Please let us know how the tyres, Toyo Open Country ATs go(?). What size you getting?
                    They've got really good reviews and are reasonably priced. After umming & ahhing I decided on the standard 265/65/17 as in SA you're only allowed a 50mm lift combined suspension & tyres & I already have the 2" suspension lift.

Getting the LT version fitted & balanced for $245 a tyre.

Comment

Originally posted by rich View Post
                      I have them on the Pajero and they're ok. Not brilliant, but not bad. That said, if I was getting new tires tomorrow, I would stump up the extra money and go back to Mickey Thompson's as they're better in the wet and better off-road. That does come at a cost however.

Comment

Working...
                      X