Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel economy and tank size

Hi all,
    I have been keeping an eye on my running figures over the last year and found a few issues.
    Tank size is listed as 80L but the most fuel I have put in (when range said 0km and trip showed I had done about 600km) was 59.5L. I thought the empty reading might be just an anomaly as my economy was about 9km/L.
    I put the query to Toyota as to why with a 80L tank and on the highway with 10km/L the range is telling me I have a 630km range (at best). Apparently the tank is supposed to have some fuel left when on empty but surely not 20L. Seems to be a false economy. I might be willing to drive 40-50km on empty but I don't think I would push 200km.
    So has anyone else noticed these sorts of readings? Would you agree that a true range should be somewhere around 700-800km before it hits empty?
    Reply from Toyota was vague and not very satisfying.

I've got a hilux & the fuel gauge is very pessimistic like your explaining. It seems to be a problem with all the new hiluxs.
    seems like some people are getting the fuel level arms modified by toyota to be more realistic but others aren't getting it done. When i asked about it, i was told it is supposed to be like this as with the last model hilux people were running out of fuel cause they were running the fuel gauge to close to empty. Seems like a bullshit excuse to me. Has got to be the most useless gauge I've had in any car I've owned.

Comment

Mine's the same. I've driven about 50ks past the '0' (it eventually says 'refuel' or similar), and still only put 71L in after sweating like mad...
      There's a bigger discussion about this on the gen8 hilux forum at newhilux.net.

Dave

Comment

I clocked up 780km and there was still fuel left. I run the car by the trip meter on the scan gauge now- it tells the truth.....

Comment

I just fill it up when it gets low

Comment

I've the same issue. A few of us have commented on this previously on the forum.

I reported it to Toyota about 12 months ago, asking if there's a problem with the tank / readings. The tech guy said none that he was aware of with the Tuner, but people with Hiluxes were reporting the distance to empty issues. There's obviously a safety margin factored in to the tank readings, but? Tank size is the reason I got a sub fuel tank, giving me 125 litres on board.

I fill it according to when the fuel gauge gets low, & don't rely on the distance to empty. Bought a scangauge2 yesterday. Will install it later on & see what it says re the fuel, among other things.

Comment

• ~Rich~
              ~Rich~ commented
              Editing a comment
              So what is the 45 ltrs in?

A few other discussions on this.

https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...-gauge-reading

https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...empty-readings

Comment

I thought it would be a common issue. I think I am just disappointed with the response from Toyota. Don't really seem to care too much, just a case of 'well that's just the way it is'. Seems like it could be sorted with a simple reprogram of their software.

Comment

Yer mate mine is exactly the same one time after my distance to empty hit 0 it just said refuel and when I fuelled up it was only 65L

Comment

Same with mine. I on average will get an additional 80 to 100km out of the tank once it reaches 0km left. I have only ever been able to pump 76ltr into it.

Comment

Just curious, has anyone run it until it stopped?

Comment

Not me. Closest I've come is the low fuel warning light came up. Not being mechanically minded, I don't know what engine issues would arise letting it run dry, especially these days with high tech computerised diesel engines.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                        Just curious, has anyone run it until it stopped?
                        Yep.
                        Always have 20l left if fill immediately on 0KM range reading.
                        Depending on your driving style and whether you are towing you can get between 100 to 200 km more distance.
                        The Toyota OEM fuel filter is an excellent 30 micron filter so I have no issues with driving until I run dry.
                        When towing my 2.2 ton caravan out woop woop with $2.50 a litre fuel I drive until it splutters and then pull over and fill up from Gerry Cans.
                        Completely dry the tank holds just over 83 litres on a 25 degree day.
                        I have found the litres per 100km usage readings to be very accurate. I reset that at each fuel up so I can do a quick mental calculation of my real range when the odometer says 0km range.

Comment

Agree with Hylife re the car''s litres per 100km usage readings. I calculated the litres per 100 usage at the pump when I filled up, on & off for about 10-12 tank fills, & found the car's usage & my calculations to be almost identical every time.

Comment

Thanks Hylife, good to know there is actually 80L of useable fuel in there, you're the first to confirm that for me.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                            X