Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article on the air intake problem.

https://www.whichcar.com.au/news/toy...e-system-fault

Anyone know how to clear the MAF other than disconnecting the battery? I'm not keen to be stuck in Cape York in limp mode.

Ha i just read this off the Facebook page and was going to post on here if anyone has had this problem and if so what did they do

Comment

Go and buy a can of airmass cleaner. Reality is every service it should be removed and sprayed if not every second service.

Comment

The thing that irritates me about Toyota is that according to the article they have know about the issue for at least two years, yet have no plans to fix it in existing vehicles just a redesign for new ones.
        I accept that the issue can be resolved by cleaning the sensor but why should we have to put up with what they admit is a design problem in the first place?
        JohnLynn
        Last edited by JohnLynn; 05-07-2018, 04:17 PM.

Comment

carry the torx screws required to remove it and spray with MAF cleaner , or if desparate , compressed air
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

I purchased rubber grease and a can of MAF cleaner today. Now I'm going to YouTube how to do it. I'm a complete Mechanical Humpty Dumpty.

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
              carry the torx screws required to remove it and spray with MAF cleaner , or if desparate , compressed air
              Mine is screwed to the top of the airbox with regular philips screws, no torx anywhere that I can see.

Comment

A tutorial on how to clean would be handy!

Comment

Anyone got a photo of where the MAF sensor is located? (I know somewhere near the air box) but not sure.

Comment

If you open the air filter box/top cover, lift it up and look underneath it, you should see the MAF sensor protruding near the intake hose. Can be removed by unscrewing from the top outside.
                    Kiat
                    Last edited by Kiat; 20-07-2018, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
                      A tutorial on how to clean would be handy!
                      I'll film myself cleaning it north of Laura in a few days. 😖
                      edit- don't let your kids watch it.

Comment

For those interested:: went to Supercheap & bought a Platinum brand Rubberised Cork Gasket Sheet, size being 375 x 400 x 1.6 mm thick (about $14). Measured the inside lid of the air intake box, & cut it to size using thin cardboard as a template (from an old A4 size folder). Size being 32.5 x 24 x 6 mm. Rested it on top of the air filter & closed the lid making sure it fit. BTW, the gasket sheet comes 1.6 mm thick & 3.2 thich. I went the 1.6 mm in case the 3.2 didn't allow the lid to close. (Play safe & use your own measurements).

Then cut the gasket sheet to size using a stanley knife, & again, rested on top of the air filter, & closed it up. It might help form a better seal again dust ingress, fingers crossed.

I could have used gasket silicone & run it along the inside of the lid, & stuck the cork gasket onto it, but was a bit scared in case any of the silicone wore away & made it way along the air flow channel / system, & lodging where it shouldn't go.

Hope the words & photo makes sense.

Comment

• Spook1205
                          Spook1205
                          Spook1205 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Silicon on cork isn’t good, makes the cork slip out.
                          Permatex aviation number 3 would work well.
                          Will post pic below

Good on cork

Comment

Working...
                        X