Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some questions I have...

Hi all,

We are looking at changing our current vehicle and have pretty much decided on getting a GXL Fortuner.
    We currently have a Mitsush!!!y Challenger and hate it - Thankfully the lease is coming to an end very soon.

Our situation - this will be the main family vehicle.
    We have a Jayco Expanda Poptop (1.8t) which we take away.
    Love getting away camping (glamping) so will be looking at setting this up for touring.
    Due to my severe dislike of our current car (it looked good on paper) we are double questioning ourselves at every point.

So on to my questions...
    1. Is anyone on here doing any towing? If so are you happy with it? What are you towing (weight etc)?
    2. What is your fuel economy like? I had a manual diesel MY2010 SR5 Hilux and got brilliant mileage out of it - around 8.7L/100 and jumped to about 11L/100 when towing. Our Challenger - 11.7L/100 (absolute best I can get) around town and when towing a crappy 18L/100 with NO GUTS!
    3. One of the features that we have seen in the sales brochure was the IMT (Intelligent Manual Transmission). Does anyone have it? If so, do you like it? How much extra was it? Do you think it was worth it?
    4. Towbar - Factory or do Hayman Reese do one? We have a Hayman Reese Weight distribution hitch now and would never be without it (so no comments please about using or not using - sorry seen too many forums where this becomes an unnecessary debate)... Will the factory take the HR tongue as it is quite long or do we have to get the HR bar? I don't want to have to buy the Toyota one as we already have the HR one.
    As we intend this to be our long term vehicle, I am just looking into what we bundle in to the lease at the outset and what I should just do as we can afford it.

The wish list so far includes:
    • Bullbar (don't really like the Factory bar - have seen a pic of the TJM Alloy so at this stage leaning towards that).
    • Snorkel (really would prefer Safari, but what are the Toyota ones like and cost?)
    • Towbar (with 12 pin flat plug) (see question above for concerns)
    • RedArc Tow Pro
    • Dual Battery setup with Engel socket and normal Cig socket in the cargo area. Is it a low voltage/variable alternator in these vehicles? Will the standard RedArc Smart Start SBI 12V 100A (SBI12) do the job?
    • GME UHF radio
    • Anderson plug (for caravan fridge (only) with low voltage disconnect in van)
    • Spotlight wiring (already have Hella Rallye 4000 from previous vehicle - Will these fit on the bars nowadays?)
    • Protection pack (def thinking aftermarket Opticoat?) which will include
      • Paint protection
      • Fabric and vinyl protection
      • Window tint - is it just the driver and passenger that needs to be done?
      • Electronic Rust Protection - Do these really work? Seeing reports that they are a waste of money - We don't do beach driving so not an issue there.
    • Weathershields
    • Bonnet Protector
    • Headlight protectors
    Any thoughts and comments?

Thanks BJ

Last edited by Bmhdg1976; 25-04-2016, 12:46 PM.

1. Yes, we have a Goldstream Storm caravan, which weighs approx 1.3t. It tows great, IMO. Waaaay better than the non-turbo 80 series Landcruiser it replaced.
    2. Around town it probably gets around 10L per 100 for me. The usual case is a bit better, but every week or so I get a DPF regen, which knocks the average consumption up a bit. We got a bit over 12 towing the caravan to Sydney and back via the Armidale, the Blue Mountains, etc (so a few hills).
    3. No clue about the IMT - don't have one.
    4. Towbar - we have the factory towbar and the Toyota WDH, so I can't comment on whether the HR one would fit. If some measurements would clear things up for you, just let me know.

As for the rest of the accessories you mention, the only ones we have are the TowPro and the Anderson plug (fitted at purchase time). They do what they're supposed to.

Comment

Dual Battery - yes it is variable voltage so no the isolator will not suit. BCDC1225 or similar will work. A couple of guys have already installed.

Comment

• DaveC
        DaveC commented
        Editing a comment
        I assume a regulator isolator will work if both batteries are of the same type? I am fairly fond of the supercharge allrounder hybrid start/cycle battery. Two of those in parallel should charge to full from the alternator right?

Originally posted by high_tea View Post
      1. Yes, we have a Goldstream Storm caravan, which weighs approx 1.3t. It tows great, IMO. Waaaay better than the non-turbo 80 series Landcruiser it replaced.
      2. Around town it probably gets around 10L per 100 for me. The usual case is a bit better, but every week or so I get a DPF regen, which knocks the average consumption up a bit. We got a bit over 12 towing the caravan to Sydney and back via the Armidale, the Blue Mountains, etc (so a few hills).
      3. No clue about the IMT - don't have one.
      4. Towbar - we have the factory towbar and the Toyota WDH, so I can't comment on whether the HR one would fit. If some measurements would clear things up for you, just let me know.

As for the rest of the accessories you mention, the only ones we have are the TowPro and the Anderson plug (fitted at purchase time). They do what they're supposed to.
      high_tea - Thanks. When you say you have a DPF regen every week or so - is that normal? as in why that often? Even 12L/100 towing is WAY better than the 17-18 i get now and is more like the Hilux I used to have (still kicking myself on getting rid of that one!). Is yours the manual or auto? The main concern I have with the Toyota tower would probably be the length of the tongue shaft with where the spare tyre is. With our Challenger, if I had of gotten the factory towbar, i couldn't put the HR tongue in far enough to even catch as it hit the spare tyre. With the HR one, it sits above the tyre so could go right back through with no issues. How long is the shaft on the tongue of the Toyota WDH (i.e. the shaft that sits into the receiver and you put the locking pin into?

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
      Dual Battery - yes it is variable voltage so no the isolator will not suit. BCDC1225 or similar will work. A couple of guys have already installed.
      Tuna - Thanks as well as now lets me know what I am looking at for a bit of extra $$$. I assume the BCDC etc are suited for under bonnet situations?

Regards

BJ

Comment

Re the DPF regen: when I asked Toyota, their answer was "I dunno, it happens when the car reckons it should", which did not clarify things one bit as far as I was concerned. It seems to be a function of distance and type of driving, as I'd expect, and seems to kick in every 200-500km. If I'm commuting, it's at the lower end of that, which roughly corresponds to every week.

It's a manual car (a GX)

I will measure the hitch this evening and let you know.

Comment

I get a DPF burnout almost every week. Mixed driving highway + town, everyday, So yeah I think it depends on distance, how fast & engine rpm.

Comment

• johton1971
            johton1971 commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm doing mainly short <10km city work commutes and the dpf kicks in every second or third day with idle at the 1200+ mark... figure its a GOOD thing to stop the very expensive dpf fouling that needs a whole new dpf unit....
            Joh

Shaft on the WDH is 110mm long. FWIW it can go a bit further back, so that the locking pin won't go through, so there's a bit more room than that.

Comment

Originally posted by high_tea View Post
            Shaft on the WDH is 110mm long. FWIW it can go a bit further back, so that the locking pin won't go through, so there's a bit more room than that.
            Thanks high_tea, I really appreciate you taking the time to measure it for me. When I get out to the shed (probably on the weekend) I will measure the shaft on mine and see what size it is (keep it clean fellas! ) If there is the room that would be great as don't want to have to buy a new setup.

Interesting about the DPF burns, has anyone looked into fitting a catch can on these yet?

BJ

Comment

Im curious about the DPF burns too, im almost 10,000k's in and i havent noticed it do a burn yet. Is it obvious when its doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by deeman111 View Post
                Im curious about the DPF burns too, im almost 10,000k's in and i havent noticed it do a burn yet. Is it obvious when its doing it?
                I didn't realise this too, until one day I noticed,,, when the DPF burning happens, while in the car & door closed, can hear a rough sound, like a commercial gas burner sound. The exhaust will also emit a burning rubber like odour or overheated brake pad odour, probably indicating combustion of the soot inside.

Comment

idle will also raise to roughly 1200rpm and yeah it stinks

Comment

I'm not bothering with the protection plan, think its a waste of money. Have seen loads of stuff about electronic rust protection and its a massive scam, don't waste your money. The fabric protection is just scotch guard, do it yourself. Window tinting, hassle about price. Dealer said $550 to start with and when I said I wanted to get quotes elsewhere it quickly dropped to $350. As far as the teflon paint protection for the price you pay for it I think you're better off just getting the car professionally detailed a few times a year. Lots of people tell me the protection plans the dealer offers are just ways of getting more cash out of you and I tend to believe them. For $2000 I could tint, scotch guard and detail my car a fair few times.

Comment

Originally posted by Eddo83 View Post
                      I'm not bothering with the protection plan, think its a waste of money. Have seen loads of stuff about electronic rust protection and its a massive scam, don't waste your money. The fabric protection is just scotch guard, do it yourself. Window tinting, hassle about price. Dealer said $550 to start with and when I said I wanted to get quotes elsewhere it quickly dropped to $350. As far as the teflon paint protection for the price you pay for it I think you're better off just getting the car professionally detailed a few times a year. Lots of people tell me the protection plans the dealer offers are just ways of getting more cash out of you and I tend to believe them. For $2000 I could tint, scotch guard and detail my car a fair few times.
                      Ended up going with paint, fabric/vinyl/plastic protection and window tinting the Express Tinting at Virgina and very happy with how it looks. Was a third of the price the dealer wanted to charge.

BJ.

Comment

Working...
                      X