Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driving in the Snow

Hi all,

i have been a long time observer of the forum however am posting for the first time.

i will be taking my parents Toyota 2017 Crusade to the snowy mountains and would appreciate some advice on driving in the snow.

Could somebody please guide me on which set of (front or back) of wheels i would require to apply snow chains in the event that it is required?

Currently the car has zero modifications and stock tyres.

Anything helps.

Thank you.

its been a very long time since ive gone skiing , but i''m sure it will be the rear wheels. you can leave the car in 4H on the slippery stuff
    2019 GX , in White

Comment

• StevenA
      StevenA commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you for the advice, White One

I think the recommended set is the front on a four wheel drive.
    if your going to the snow in nsw, snow chains aren't mandatory. Good to have in case the weather goes to shit, as the forecast is for this Thursday & Friday.
    silverfox

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	EAD768E1-031E-4CCA-8417-C72B9106D96A.png
Views:	476
Size:	315.0 KB
ID:	13931 The manual says to fit chains to the rear wheels only.
      2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

• StevenA
        StevenA commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for that. I have the auto so ill have a read of the manual.

There isn’t a lot of clearance under the front

Comment

Originally posted by Silverfox1111 View Post
        I think the recommended set is the front on a four wheel drive.
        if your going to the snow in nsw, snow chains aren't mandatory. Good to have in case the weather goes to shit, as the forecast is for this Thursday & Friday.
        silverfox
        Thats exactly when i am going! haha

Comment

I appreciate the responses guys. A few queries i have since reading the responses.
          I am quite the novice and this is all very new to me...

- What is the distribution of power between the front and rear wheels in H2 mode? (or is it 100% to a certain set)
          - Would you be putting it in H4 mode the moment you see signs instructing 2WD vehicles to apply the chains?

much appreciated.

Comment

• Silverfox1111
            Silverfox1111 commented
            Editing a comment
            I don't put it in 4 high straight away as they get people to put the chains on at designated "chain bays". These will always be before you get to the dodgy piece of road & means you would be driving on high grip road risking windup in the transmission. You can always put it in 4 high on the move anyway. Just use common sense, keep the speed down, use the gears to control the speed when going downhill, observe how other cars are handling the road conditions & the biggest thing is to keep a bigger gap to cars in front when going downhill than you normally would.

H2 = 100% rear wheels
          H4 = 50 / 50 split

if its stating to put chains on you could put in H4. The road would be slippery enough to deal with any wind up that may occur.

Comment

• StevenA
            StevenA commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you very much for the advice.
        Working...
        X