Gas strut bonnet lifter conversion.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas strut bonnet lifter conversion.

Anyone tried this conversion? Should of come standard imo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/401114718644

The damper layout in photo seems like gets in the way when doing work in the engine bay. Wonder if possible to install the dwmper shafts rearwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiat View Post
      The damper layout in photo seems like gets in the way when doing work in the engine bay.
      That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the picture with it installed Kiat. I'm sure I've seen them discussed on a Hilux forum, and If you have an Aux battery under bonnet, some people were having trouble with it contacting the Aux battery.

Comment

My thoughts were the same, in the way and could interfere with the dual battery. Maybe a more compact design will come out.

Comment

.... was thinking.. maybe the struts are usable, only need to fabricate the brackets ..

Comment

Could do Kiat. Just have to make sure the last inch or so as the bonnet closes, the struts go over centre, so when the bonnet is down, the struts are pushing it closed, not trying to open it. Bit safer if your bonnet latch ever lets go.

Comment

OK Kiat, your thinking has got me thinking , perhaps you could fabricate a bracket to utilize one larger strut, fitting it to the right hand side, removing the issue with clearance for the aux battery, and leaving more room in engine bay for those of us who do their own maintenance?
              Also, a lot of the strut bodies themselves are connected to the mounting ball joints by a spring clips. If you used this style, when you did need extra room on the right hand side, the strut itself can be removed from both ball joints by simply giving it a firm tug, no tools needed. Just have to use your original bonnet support then.
              Last edited by Mick66; 01-06-2016, 05:55 AM. Reason: The morning coffee kicked in...had another thought...

Comment

Good idea Mick , will try get some measurements this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X