Sticky manual gears on long drivers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky manual gears on long drivers

Has anyone had a problem with sticky gears?

I've noticed that after a longer drive, say couple of hours on highway it's becomes difficult to change gears, like they are stuck until you give it a good push/pull.
    Once you change the gears all seems fine until you don't change the gears for another 5-10 minutes.
    Around town, never a problem.

Will update once I have a chat with Toyota.

Interested if this is common in other manuals.

Hello Bugeye, Have you tried driving with your I-MT on then with it off, to see if there is any difference. Someone with similar issues on Hilux.net forum said it made a difference. See here -
    https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...stiff-shifting Although I can't see how this would make a difference, more like drive train wind-up from 4WD engaging?

Comment

I've experienced this. Ours is a GX, so no I-MT. Going to raise it at the first service - will report if anything comes of ir.

Comment

I've had a chat with the Toyota Service Dep. Apparently they've already done a report about this problem in another car.
        Still waiting for an official response. Am going to submit my car to add some weight to this and recommend anyone else doing so too.

Comment

Had the car in today to make the report, as I was there they mentioned that they just got a fix for it.
          Apparently there isn't enough oil going to the top gears (4,5,6), the fix drills some additional holes in the gearbox to open up for better oil flow.

Once I'll do a longer trip I'll update if this does in fact fix the issue.

Comment

Sounds serious ... I've got a manual GX but not noticed any sticking and about to go on a big trip. Fortunately I've already done more than 10k kms

Comment

For me it only happened after about 2 hours of highway driving

Comment

I have a manual GX and do about 1000kms a week, haven't noticed any sticking yet but will be heading from Adelaide to Goldcoast and back next month. Hopefully issue doesn't arise then

Comment

My GX does this occasionally (now at 13,000 Km) but usually during city driving.

Comment

Just put the fix to a test, done a good long drive and not a hiccup, gears where smooth like knife in butter.

Comment

Originally posted by bugeye View Post
                      Just put the fix to a test, done a good long drive and not a hiccup, gears where smooth like knife in butter.
                      Good to hear Bugeye. Did they give you any more details of what they done? I would be interested to find out exactly what the mod is. ie: what size holes are drilled and where exactly? Do they drop the box out for access? (I hope they thoroughly cleaned all the swarf out of the box after drilling!)
                      Last edited by Mick66; 02-07-2016, 07:41 AM. Reason: fix pore gwammar and punchyouation

Comment

I had this happen over the past week while driving up to Brisbane - Would gradually stiffen up over a couple of hours, yet a few minute stop (say for fuel) and it would be fine for another hour or so.
                        Any more info on the fix?

Comment

My GX manual went in today for its 20,000 km service and reported the sticky 6th gear issue. It goes back on Friday for the "fix" so i'll let yo know if it is the same as described above.

Comment

Hi Mick66

Originally posted by bugeye View Post
                            Had the car in today to make the report, as I was there they mentioned that they just got a fix for it.
                            Apparently there isn't enough oil going to the top gears (4,5,6), the fix drills some additional holes in the gearbox to open up for better oil flow.

Once I'll do a longer trip I'll update if this does in fact fix the issue.
                            That's the simples of the fix... it's been a few long trips since and the problem hasn't returned.

Comment

The fix is a replacement detent pin on the gear shift mechanisum. No drilling of anything. What happens is over a period of time travelling in 6th, a build up of oil gets behind the pin and spring and stops it from allowing the pin to move back when the lever is moved. The new replacement pin has a flat edge on one side to allow the oil out while driving so it doesn't hydralic out the pin.

Comment

Working...
                              X