What fuel gets the best fuel economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What fuel gets the best fuel economy

Hey guys just a general question on what brand of fuel have you all found that has given you the best fuel economy.

for the diesel, I used to use shell for my prevoius VW T5 2.0 tdi, after I filled one shell service station in brisbane, then next day, my T5 engine begin show problem again and again than dead, then I never use shell again.

for fortuner I use BP ULTIMATE DIESEL now. currently be stable at 9.2/100km

Comment

• BESTIE
      BESTIE commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey mate what percentage would be highway driving ?

Been using Caltex in mine, usually the woollies branded ones to get the discount and consistently now 8.5L/100km going by the computer

Comment

Nearly always Caltex for similar figures of 8.5 from computer but confirmed by actual litres used per tank. The truck driver who delivered mine said I should only ever use Caltex diesel, or, another big name (BP, then Shell). And never one of the no-names. Already he was getting significant work towing break downs of the newer, Euro6 compliant diesel engines from only-slightly below standard diesel. While it was good for his business he felt like he owed it to new cars owners to tell them!

Comment

i only ever use caltex, every single tank now has been between 7.9-8.4L have now put 5000k on my car. its never had anything in it though besides caltex (have a starcard) so cant compare to others

Comment

Use Caltex and im at 11ltrs but im always in power mode and heavey footed haha

Comment

How do you get it to stay in power mode? Mine would reset to normal everytime I started the car so gave up remembering to press the button

Comment

So most people seem to use caltex besides maxnan , has anyone else tried bp

Comment

I fill up from BP, Shell and Caltex and find the actual service station makes more difference than the brand. Some regularly get worse economy than others (though not by much) so I guess it has to do with the condition of their storage tanks.

Comment

I started using the Caltex down the road and I get 8.1ltrs and an average of 850kms in a tank, I have done a bit over 7000kms now. When I was at the gold coast I tried out a no name place because it was dirt cheap, I ended loosing over 100kms from the tank. Wont be doing that again!!

Comment

anyone noticed their fuel light comes on a tad early. when my fuel light comes on and says 60kms left for range and ive done around 800+ kms. go to fill up and clicks off at 64litres. now with it being a 80litre tank that extra 16litres would get another 200kms

Comment

• BESTIE
                      BESTIE commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I haven't seen my fuel light yet , but I know I will in the next couple of days . But what you are describing seems to be a Toyota thing . My prado light used to come on at 35km To go but once it got to zero I found out I had a extra 20l in the tank (full at 160l instead of 180l ) . I always found it a good safety buffer and also assisting in not sucking the crap off the bottom of the tank .

I used to work for one of the major fuel companies in the terminals group. What most people don't know is the fuel for most brands comes from the same place. In brisbane bp and Mobil all come from the same terminal, and that terminal gets its fuel from a pipeline to the caltex refinery. So the only difference is the tiny amount of different additives each company uses. Even the small brand places get the fuel from the same terminal. The additives generally are for cleaning your fuel system mostly. Filtered diesel is good if you can get it, but they usually only sell that to miners for use in haul trucks, and us general public get unfiltered crap!

Comment

Fortuner Crusade, Shell Diesel 7.5L/100km on Eco mode Highway and City driving. wost i had was 8.5L after getting stuck in a heavy highway traffic....
                      I still haven't figure out the computer, is these something that reads how many KM I can travel until i run out of fuel?

Comment

I use BP if possible, then Caltex if BP not available. We recently travelled 5000+ ks in western Qld where BP or Caltex was not always easy to find. In some remote areas you don't always have a lot of choice. I carried a couple of jerry cans which I filled at a preferred supplier if I was heading to remote areas. On 1 leg of the trip, the jerry cans proved to be a lifesaver as the only servo within 200 ks of the nearest town was out of diesel. I used Puma a couple of times in the bush as there was no other option. Fuel consumption with BP and Caltex (and Puma for that matter) was almost identical.
                        Cheers, Archie.

Comment

Working...
                        X