Traction Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traction Issue

G'day Tuna drivers. I need a bit of help please. I think I already know the answer but before I go out and buy new BFG's I thought I would check if any one out there has the same issue.

CAR DETAIL:
    Bought 2nd hand with 40k on the clock.
    2017 Fortuner GXL Manual
    Tyres - 275 17" BFG AT (Were at 38psi, now 29psi all round)
    Lift: 2" TJM HD Coils and Shocks
    TJM Bull Bar and Winch
    No Front Aux Batt
    Rear Seats Removed for Fridge and Rear Aux Battery
    Rhino Rack
    TJM Snorkel
    TJM Under Body Protection
    TJM Diff Breathers
    Bla bla....

ISSUE:
    Rear Wheels are losing traction especially in the wet. It's not really noticeable in the dryer months other than the odd RH inside wheel spin when turning through roundabouts. the real issue is when starting from first gear with boost off very slow acceleration the rear wheels spin and they continue to spin all through gear changes to 4th Gear. Traction control works hard at keeping her from sliding all over the road.

The back end of the Tuna seems to be fairly light compared with a Cruiser so my first thought was the tyres were too hard. So I reduced the tyre pressures from 38psi to 35 then 29psi. It's made it slightly better but not enough to feel safe. My next thought is the tyre rubber has hardened but for tyres that have only done less than 10k and look fairly new it's hard to believe.

The back end of the car sticks up fairly high. It looks like a 4" lift rather than a 2". Could the extra height on the rear cause traction issues?

Can anyone think of anything else?

what do you mean by boost off ? its either economy or power mode , unless its been tuned or had a chip fitted
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Even with a highway road/ sand tyre I found the back end slippery in the wet. Even more so in power mode.

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
        what do you mean by boost off ? its either economy or power mode , unless its been tuned or had a chip fitted
        Power mode sorry

Comment

ok that may explain it a bit , Power mode makes almost full boost available at 1300rpm , so no wonder you are losing traction.
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
            ok that may explain it a bit , Power mode makes almost full boost available at 1300rpm , so no wonder you are losing traction.
            Surely that's not right? Driving in the wet with Power Mode on is a no go. The missus can't control the car

Comment

100% no power mode in the wet as the throttle response aggressive the back wheel will spin every time you take off, and traction control will intervening all the time.
              currently i have a hilux with nitto ridge grapplers (aggressive a/t) and my wife has a fortuner with stock tyres and i'm often surprised just how much more grip the stock tyres have in the wet. I've had BFG, Mickey and Nitto's over the years... around my area there just some places where the road is extra slippery when wet... learn/ know where they are and drive slow (tip toe through those places). Obviously traction or lack of it only gets worse once the tyres are worn.
              suggest you try highway terrain tyres - see if you can grab a second hand set and keep the BFG's for play
              maybe next time you go car shopping look at a prado/ cruiser cause they run 4wd full time.

Have often thought the fortuner would be a lot safer school bus if it ran full time 4wd like the prado.

Comment

Originally posted by Ih8ubarney View Post
                100% no power mode in the wet as the throttle response aggressive the back wheel will spin every time you take off, and traction control will intervening all the time.
                currently i have a hilux with nitto ridge grapplers (aggressive a/t) and my wife has a fortuner with stock tyres and i'm often surprised just how much more grip the stock tyres have in the wet. I've had BFG, Mickey and Nitto's over the years... around my area there just some places where the road is extra slippery when wet... learn/ know where they are and drive slow (tip toe through those places). Obviously traction or lack of it only gets worse once the tyres are worn.
                suggest you try highway terrain tyres - see if you can grab a second hand set and keep the BFG's for play
                maybe next time you go car shopping look at a prado/ cruiser cause they run 4wd full time.

Have often thought the fortuner would be a lot safer school bus if it ran full time 4wd like the prado.
                Ih8ubarney I agree, they should have come out with an option for full time 4wd. I drove it around this weekend on 4H and this made a huge difference, but obviously this runs the risk of transmission / diff wind-up! Does anyone know if there's a way to turn off centre diff lock like on the 100 Series?

Comment

im no expert, but think your most likely asking for front CV damage using 4wd on the road. The turning circle also gets larger.
                  you can get part time 4wd kits for cruisers like the 100 & 105 series, but not sure if anyone has thought of going the other way.... there is probably a reason why they don't exist .

Comment

Working...
                  X