Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vehicle not shifting into top gear?

Hey guys,
    My Fortuner is a 2019 limited (crusade in AUS) with about 13,000kms on it. I have found it has an issue with shifting into top gear when cruising at 100-120kph. This issue seems to be exacerbated under cruise control. It tends to drop down with the slightest throttle input and ends up cruising at about 2k rpm at 100ish kph. A couple of times I have (somehow) managed to get it to shift up and it will sit at about 1300rpm at 100kms so I know I’m not just imagining that another gear exists! (or two maybe?? I’ve also had it lock up into gear at around 1700??) I’m not sure if it’s a gear box issue or whether the torque converter isn’t locking up properly.
    Anyone else had an issue like this?

its normal behaviour in Fortuners , Prados and Hiluxes unfortunately . the issue was much worse in the models prior to 2019 , makes you think why did they bother having a 6 speed anyway. I believe its like that because the DPF needs to be at a certain temperature to work properly , and at those lower RPMS it wont be hot enough. Can be fixed by the installation of an aftermarket torque convertor locking kit if you really want it sorted.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Thanks for the reply! So surely this is a manufacturing issue that should be rectified by Toyota? I have made a call to them and had them look at it and assured me it was fine (it’s not) Any idea what the after market unit is called/costs?
      cheers!

Comment

As "white one" says, a torque converter lock-up kit will get it into top gear & will hold it for longer as well. Put one in my hilux & I reckon it is one of the best things I've done with it.
        silverfox

Comment

Awesome! I’ve just watched a few videos of them they look like they work well. Did you do the install yourself? Was it very technical? I saw the land cruiser install video and it looked simple enough but I assume the fortuner/lux will be somewhat different?

Comment

I put mine in myself. If you can solder properly & you check several times before cutting wires you should be ok. In saying that, i was shitting myself at the thought of modifying the wiring at the ecu so I checked, double checked & triple checked everything before the first snip. Took me about 2 hours, but a lot of that was working where to sit the module & where to run the cables.
            silverfox

Comment

With the converter Lock up kit do you have to manually lock it in and out every time your cruising and what happens if you forget.
              Thanks would be interested to know

Comment

Goodi
                mine is a richards brand two stage lockup. Stage one locks up from about 35kmh & unlocks automatically at about 30kmh & stage 2 will lock up at about 65kmh & unlocks at 60kmh. The switch to enable the lock up is a 2 parter so you can have either stage come on or choose to have it off completely then the car will drive like factory.
                Silverfox

Comment

have you put bigger tires on? i have a 2016 hilux sr5 auto with 275/65R18 ridge grapplers, barwork etc and 6th is elusive.... if im driving anywhere at highway speeds ill generally use the gear selector to keep it in 5th to stop the car hunting between 5th and 6th because i find it annoying. my wife has a stock 2018 fortuner and it will go into 6th all the time.
                  cruse control doesn't help staying in 6th in either car... the fortuner is quick to get out of 6th when it sniffs a hill, where the hilux will only ever get into 6th on down hill sections and generally back to 5th as soon any acceleration is required.

Comment

I've got a 2017 hilux with slightly larger tyres (265 65 18 A/T), front & rear bars, draws, canopy, snorkel & sometimes roof racks. It's also had a tune which helped get into 6th, but the lockup kit gets it into 6th even easier.
                    silverfox

Comment

Do you guys find the benefit of a larger tyre outway the 6th gear being elusive?
                      I only run stock size tyres and find the gearbox works well at highway speeds.

Comment

I think the heavier the car is with all the gear, the less likely its got getting into 6th. I run 265x60xR18 BFGs, then add rear drawers, tools, cargo barrier, dual battery, roof rack etc etc.

Comment

Working...
                        X