Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Offroad tyres

Hi All,
    Looking to fit some decent off road tyres to my GXL Tuna, but finding the range of tyre sizes available somewhat restricted.
    Has anyone out there fitted 275/65/17 or 265/70/17 to the standard GXL alloy rims ?

Why not stick to the standard tyre size and go for BFGoodrich LT265/65R17 AT KO2s ?
    2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

Originally posted by mrh460 View Post
      Why not stick to the standard tyre size and go for BFGoodrich LT265/65R17 AT KO2s ?
      The LT 265/65/17 KO2 is an option, but was looking at a few other alternatives that come in 275/65/17 or 265/70/17.

Comment

We went one size up. 265/65/18 KO2, it was the only way I could still fit the spare. I also played with the idea of going 285/65/18 which would fit on the standard rims but wouldn't fit in the spare wheel well.

Comment

• Kiat
          Kiat commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi MDUB, good to know the 18" fits in nicely. Will be going this 1 size up too, also gives a slight leverage on ground clearance.

• river
          river commented
          Editing a comment
          what was the original size of your tyres? I was gonna ask you coz I am planning to upgrade suspension and lift on my crusade. Did you have to change your rims too? can u tell me where u get ur tyres from? cheers

Originally posted by MDUB View Post
        We went one size up. 265/65/18 KO2, it was the only way I could still fit the spare. I also played with the idea of going 285/65/18 which would fit on the standard rims but wouldn't fit in the spare wheel well.
        The 265/65/18 is pretty much the same size as a 265/70/17.........do you have any issues with fouling the guards or mudflaps ?

Comment

What actually are you looking for? There's plenty of choice in the range of AT LT tyres around. BFG, Cooper, Maxxis, Bridgestone etc all have tyres that will fit, either standard sizes or with slightly higher profiles & widths.

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post

The 265/65/18 is pretty much the same size as a 265/70/17.........do you have any issues with fouling the guards or mudflaps ?
            No issues at all. I do have aftermarket suspension installed though.

Comment

Originally posted by geo View Post
              What actually are you looking for? There's plenty of choice in the range of AT LT tyres around. BFG, Cooper, Maxxis, Bridgestone etc all have tyres that will fit, either standard sizes or with slightly higher profiles & widths.
              My 1st choice in tyres are the Mickey Thomson ATZ P3's which I had on my previous 4WD, but the ATZ only comes in LT265/70/17.
              2nd choice would be the BFG KO2's which come in LT265/65/17, LT275/65/17 and LT265/70/17.
              3rd choice is the Yokohama GO12 which come in 265/65/17, 275/65/17 and 265/70/17, however I don't think the GO12 comes in LT construction.
              Most of my 4WDing is in the Vic High Country.........

MDUB, I take it you've had a suspension lift which would aid in the fitment of larger tyres ?

Comment

I'm running the BFG KO2's AT in LT265/70/17. For the first couple of weeks you will get a tiny bit of rub on the front mud guards if you are on full lock and there suspension flex - for me it was when I was backing into my garage. You can either shape out the mud flaps with a dremmel or just live with it until the tyres wear down a little.

Comment

Guys my 2 cents.....been for wheeling for well over 20 years now and have tried and worn out plenty of tires. While all the suggestions above, regardless of size, are great choices, the prices don't justify gains. I have recently (12 months) ago bought a set of Hankook Dynapro MT's and LOVE THEM. Read reviews!!!! I have put them through all types of terrains over the last year, and they have not been any less as amazing as the "big names" PLUS, they are the quietest MT I've ever used, no worse than as an all-terrain and handle just as well. I run 50psi in them for everyday driving, are also incredibly hard wearing, maybe about 40% used so far....honestly at around the $290 mark for a 265/70/17 you cannot find a better deal!!! Check out Jax Tires fellas, you won't regret it. They are an incredibly under-rated tire in this country.
                  Last edited by Monaz; 02-08-2016, 01:09 PM.

Comment

Thanks Monaz, great feedback. Its the tyre I chose after on-line research mainly because its cheaper but gets excellent reviews.... I asked at JAX and they are the place to go to for a good price fitted. I will be going to JAX Albion in Brisbane soonish - still need the cash and loathe to just take the perfectly good road biased Yokohama ATs off... (I'm just happy to hear the Dynapros are working out for you.

Comment

• Monaz
                      Monaz commented
                      Editing a comment
                      No problems Johton....glad to help
                  Working...
                  X