K&N Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K&N Filter

Has anyone purchased a K&N Filter for their 4tuna yet? Does it have any impact on power?

Do some googling, there is a lot of info out there saying A) The OEM filter is more than capable for the motor, and B) The K&N filters actually let in a lot more dust than OEM

Plus at least with a dry filter, if you get it clogged with dust out in the bush, you can usually give it a few taps on the tyre to dislodge a lot of dust and get it going again. With an oiled filter, the only way to clean it is to wash it

Also you wont get any sort of power boost, unless you are running a bigger turbo and sucking in a lot more air, the standard filter will be perfect
    Last edited by deeman111; 10-08-2016, 10:33 AM.

Comment

• Romulous
      Romulous commented
      Editing a comment
      thanks deeman! hopefully someone has tried it and can make a testimony on it

Hi

I have purchased the K&N filter. It does allow further air into the motor (especially with a snorkel fitted). As for dust, I cant see any increase in dust and comparing the OEM filter and the K&N is like comparing chalk and cheese. As for greater power and efficiency, I haven't conducted any test as such. If you believe all of the printed materials, their is an increase in power and efficiency.

There must be a fair few people fitting these to the Hilux (same part number 33- 3045) as their is a back order from main suppliers (apart from K&N) in Aust.

Cheers

Josh

Comment

http://www.billswebspace.com/AirFilterTest.htm a very old article, but the testing was done and the K&N was at the bottom of the list for efficeincy and dust removal, and very high on letting dust through

In the end its your car and your money, but if you want power gains etc look at boost controller/flashed ecu

Comment

• Mick66
        Mick66 commented
        Editing a comment
        Also, be aware of over oiling oil-type filters, as the excess oil is drawn into the engine induction system, and on modern engines, coats the MAF sensor, causing it to give incorrect readings, in turn causing you engine to not run to its full potential.
        I run both types in our vehicles, so have experience with the good and bad points of both.

• Romulous
        Romulous commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Mick66

Before my trip to the centre /Simpson in July I purchased a Uniifilter (also oil/foam) so that I COULD wash and re-oil it in the bush rather than having to carry a 2nd. I didn't notice any loss/increase in power overall and have put the OEM paper filter back in now I'm doing city / highway driving.

Comment

Working...
      X