Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear diff lock engagement issue

Hi guys

On a fee occasions I have had difficulty in engaging the rear diff lock. I was stuck on a muddy slope this weekend. Diff lock was engaged and I switched the car off to await recovery. When I turned the car back on diff lock had disengaged which I believe is normal. However it refused to reengage and I eventually gave up with the diff lock.

Anyone had similar issues with engagement or can shed light on why the system refused to engage? Car has was in low range and had no issue engaging low range.

Cheers

Josh

I've had issues with mine, but I've found if I move forward or back a little it engages straight away. I know it says no wheel spin, but I find a little bit of movement helps it engage.
    But I to would like more info if anyone else has issues or tricks/tips.

yep it's normal for the car to disengage when turned off, like wise ATRAC will come back on as well if turned off.

Comment

Yes mate, every car test I've read has had the journalist commenting about the lousy diff lock. Mine initially was simply impossible to lock or unlock. It even randomly locked up while driving, without dash light coming on. Got it back from last service and t was much better, but still locks up randomly with no dash light coming on as does the transfer case. with a new noise coming from transfer case area. There must be a problem with the electronic control system on these things I think. Would love to know what is wrong with these things. It's what you get for buying the first of a model I guess.
      Cheers

Comment

Hopefully it can be fixed with a software update, but the Prado has been using a similar system for years, the switch set up at least???

Comment

I haven't had the transfer case engage with wanting it to as yet.

Comment

The most consistent way to engage/disengage i have found so far is

Stop Moving
            Neutral (auto)
            4 LOW (if not already there)
            Drive
            press in difflock button
            drive in a straight line (just at idle) until it engages

I have found that trying to engage when stuck usually doesnt work, i figure because the driveline might be loaded up etc. Best practice is to engage it before tackling anything difficult, If you are really in a Jam and cant get it to engage, the "poor mans difflock" can be enough to help.

Poor mans is applying pressure on the handbrake not lots, but a fair amount, the motor will overpower the braking force, but the brakes will give resistance to the driveshafts, distributing power to both wheels when one might be free spinning.

Its a last resort technique, but it does work (and if you leave the difflock button pressed in, it might even get the difflock to engage)

Comment

Originally posted by deeman111 View Post
              I have found that trying to engage when stuck usually doesnt work, i figure because the driveline might be loaded up etc. Best practice is to engage it before tackling anything difficult, If you are really in a Jam and cant get it to engage, the "poor mans difflock" can be enough to help.

Poor mans is applying pressure on the handbrake not lots, but a fair amount, the motor will overpower the braking force, but the brakes will give resistance to the driveshafts, distributing power to both wheels when one might be free spinning.

Its a last resort technique, but it does work (and if you leave the difflock button pressed in, it might even get the difflock to engage)
              This shouldn't be necessary on a car with effective traction control, which fortuner has. Traction control should be braking the free wheel(s) sending torque to the ones with traction.
              BTW, I believe traction control is disabled when the difflock is enabled (obviously no longer needed on the rear axle, but a shame its also disabled on the front). Perhaps you were getting the worst of both worlds? i.e difflock button pressed which disabled traction control, but difflock not physically activating!

More details here if you haven’t already read it:
              https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tem-explained/

FWIW, I havent used the difflock yet, but had my first experience with traction control on the weekend when I lifted a rear wheel climbing a steep hill. There was a *very* brief spin/hesitation, then it was straight back up the hill! I was fairly impressed.

Dave

Comment

The diff lock is very effective when engaged. I still have hwy tires and On sloping slippery conditions the car just sits in the one spot (with no run off or momentum) with the A-TRAC work. Back up an engage locker an it will crawl up.

I've just been getting use to the Fortuner off road, so just trying different things and se what it can do without pushing it hard just yet. It's also the first 4wd I've had with traction control, so I have to learn not to back off as the wheels start slipping.

FYI: if climbing dunes or tricky sections on sand, I've found turning A-TRAC & Traction control off. As it kills your momentum

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

This shouldn't be necessary on a car with effective traction control, which fortuner has. Traction control should be braking the free wheel(s) sending torque to the ones with traction.
                  BTW, I believe traction control is disabled when the difflock is enabled (obviously no longer needed on the rear axle, but a shame its also disabled on the front). Perhaps you were getting the worst of both worlds? i.e difflock button pressed which disabled traction control, but difflock not physically activating!

Dave

It should do that, but ive been in a situation where i had one rear wheel high in the air and the car on a dodgey angle, and the traction control wouldnt put any power to any other wheels. The diff lock wouldnt engage and i had to use the handbrake.

In other situations, the traction control has been amazing. Getting me up decent sand dunes in high 4 and just cruising instead of using low 4 / difflocks and smashing it up there. However, driving along the beach can be a pain with the A-trac engaged as it can make you lose momentum when hitting a softer patch of sand

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post

More details here if you haven’t already read it:
                    https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tem-explained/

FWIW, I havent used the difflock yet, but had my first experience with traction control on the weekend when I lifted a rear wheel climbing a steep hill. There was a *very* brief spin/hesitation, then it was straight back up the hill! I was fairly impressed.

Dave
                    Traction control is great! but it is reactive, meaning you need to loose traction for it to engage. Sometime that's a little too late.
                    On the same note, use your diff locks before you need them otherwise they might not be as effective either.

Comment

How do you turn traction control off completely??

Comment

Hi,
                        A long-press of the VSC button should disable everything.

However, I've discovered that you can't do that while driving, you have to be stationary. And as you might expect, you have to repeat the procedure each time you start the car.
                        This is definitely useful in soft sand, as TRC (the engine-based traction control) is not helpful!

On a recent Fraser trip, I got into the habit of selecting 4H, long-press VSC, then drive off. For difficult bits (south nkgala rocks), I just selected 4L and didnt touch the VSC button at all (VSC and TRC are disabled in 4L, and A-TRC (brake-based traction control) shouldn't get in your way anyway).

I still haven't ever tried the rear difflock.

Dave

Comment

Working...
                        X