Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone out there with a genuine Toyota winch

Hi All,
    When I bought my GXL a few months back I had it fitted with a Toyota steel bull bar and not really planning on fitting a winch. Since then I've decided to have a look at putting a winch on the vehicle.
    Toyota use a Warn branded 9000lb winch that looks like a Zeon model in pics I've seen, but the Zeons only come in 8000, 10000 or 10000lb versions. The bloke I spoke at Toyota said he'd not actually seen one fitted as yet and was unable to answer questions I had.
    Has anyone out there actually got a genuine Toyota/Warn winch on their vehicle ?
    Questions I have a are...........
    Is there a hinged cover over the winch that the rego plate is attached to ?
    What model in the Warn range is the Toyota winch ?
    Am I correct in assuming the winch has a plug in corded remote ?
    Does the rope/cable spool out under or over the drum ?
    How is access to the manual clutch on the winch ?

I ended up putting a cheaper aftermarket winch on my alloy bar.

I did have a look at the steel bars when quizzing the guys at the dealership. The steel bar has a plate (with the number plate on) that needs to be removed to access the winch, this is done with 4 allen head bolts (so you really need to plan ahead if you need the winch.The alloy bar comes with the hinged cover. Im sure anyone with half a brain and a couple of hinges can make something more useful up for the steel bar.

The warn one is one of those Zeon ones, i was under the impression it was the 8000, i highly doubt they have a custom one just for the hilux/fortuner.

Winch does have a corded remote, but warn do sell a wireless adapter for a few hundred $$$ (my cheapy came with a wireless remote and corded one)

The rope has to come from over the drum, which goes against everything i have read, but it is still fine for a vertical mount. (if you settle for a cheapy, turn the winch around and feed it over, dont respool the rope backwards)

To access the clutch on the alloy there is a gap in the grill above the hinged cover, where you can put your arm in to access the lever.

I settled with the cheapy because i couldnt justify the $3500+ toyota was asking, when i will rarely need to use it (Although i have used it once in anger and it was amazing) As long as you service them and keep in good nick, the cheapy will last a long time too. And in the end it cost me less than $500 so i can have 7 before saying i should have just bought a Warn.

If you want any pics from the alloy setup just shoot me a message

James

Comment

Interesting........
      I did have a look at the alloy bullbar on the demo Crusade I drove before getting my GXL and did note the nifty looking hinged cover. My steel bar has the bolt on cover that has the rego plate attached to it, but I'd find it hard to believe that Toyota would expect owners to have to unbolt the cover to access the winch.
      Spooling over the drum goes against what I've read/been told also.
      The Toyota website quoting 9000lb instead of 8000lb could be a website mistake and not the 1st mistake I've seen on the Toyota website spec sheets. If the winch is actually a Zeon 8, probably no reason one could stick a 10 or 12 in there as they're physically the same size.

Comment

The Warn Zeon9 winch is unique to Toyota and is a different width to a regular Zeon winch and rated at 9000lb. It is narrower than the regular winch also to fit between the chassis rails and does not attach to the bullbar, but to the chassis rails. The roller or guide is the only attachment to the bar. When buying a winch kit for a steel Bullbar genuine the fitting kit includes the hinges for the number plate flap.
        The control hand piece plugs in near the LH overrider in the bullbar grille gap. the rope is over the drum due to the low mounting position between the rails

Comment

Thanks for that Fullscale.
          I did get a look at the genuine winch fitting instructions and it looks like a tidy installation with the features you mentioned.
          With the Toyota fitting kit, I take it that only a "Zeon 9" will fit in there ?

Comment

Thats correct. as far as i am aware the Toyota mounting will only take that winch as the winch would need to be narrow enough to go between the rails and bar mounts

Comment

it will fit most standard size winches. As stated before, i have the Domin8r winch on the genuine winch mounting crossbrace. I know the dealer near me has also fitted an ironman winch. Have a look at the dimensions and that will give you an estimate for fitting. Most similar capacity winches have a similar dimension

Comment

Is there any pictures of the cross brace and winch installation ?

Comment

Go to https://toyotamanuals.com.au/accessories
                  and type copy/paste PZQ29892WK

That is the installation manual for the steel bullbar and winch kit. You can see its quite a significant bit of chassis strengthening

Comment

Thanks
                    Once the winch kit has been installed with bull bar removal at a later date can the winch be installed without removing the bull bar ?

Comment

I got mine in without removing the bar. It was a real pain in the ass, but less of a pain than removing the bar! Lots of twisting and turning, tightening the bolts up with less than a 1/4 revolution of room on the spanner meant the 4 bolts took forever to do up. If you have to remove the bar to put the kit in, id suggest waiting until you have a winch and killing two birds with one stone

Comment

I have the genuine Toyota Warn winch. 9600lb and designed specifically for the Hilux and Fortuner to bolt directly to the front chassis rails and not the bull bar.
                        Only had to use it once as the tuna is soo good off-road.

Comment

I've the steel bull bar on my GX with the hinged cover & the Warn 9000lb winch Toyota recommends. My hing cover is in held in place by 2 spring loaded type screws you just twist & pull out, then you lift the hinge flip up to access the winch.

At the time I asked Toyota about a larger winch, & was told by the dealership that the Warn winch they install is the only winch that "won't void their warranty". Not sure about that statement, but I went with that anyway as they were also installing the bull bar.

Comment

I noticed in the install guide for the winch it recommends upgraded axles. Did any of you get you axles upgraded when they did the winch? I am faily sure mine are still the stock ones but i am going to check with the dealer on the next service.

Comment

Originally posted by nico View Post
                              I noticed in the install guide for the winch it recommends upgraded axles. Did any of you get you axles upgraded when they did the winch? I am faily sure mine are still the stock ones but i am going to check with the dealer on the next service.
                              They do recommend uprated front springs, is that what you are talking about ?

Comment

Working...
                              X