Off road insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off road insurance

Has anyone got off road insurance? Who do you use? What does it cover? And what does it cost per year?

mate I just have normal insurance policy. The insurer says it covers driving any where on or off road.

Comment

Basic insurance covers basic needs, and if you want to be insured for ducking down the road for a bottle of milk, chances are your insurance will always be fine. If you’re a 4X4 enthusiast that actually goes off-road, you need something that is actually geared towards your 4X4, and where you take it. I’ve …
      2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

I'm in SA and am insured through the RAA with a normal comprehensive policy. I asked them a few years ago about off road cover, including private property and was told that I was covered.

I think the big gap would be if I needed a 500km tow from somewhere remote. I expect I would be out of pocket for that.

You should always check your PDS though and not rely entirely on what people post on forums. If in doubt, call your insurer and ask.

Comment

Yes Tuna. The normal cover is for accident, theft etc. For breakdown in the scrub my company has another policy to go with the basic one whicj covers towing costs for long dixtances, accommodation whilw repairairs are done,hire cars and a host of things. good value.
          Cheers.

Comment

I can't recommended more highly Club 4x4 Insurance. Covers you everywhere not matter what, even if a road doesn't exist and includes all mods and accessories, and off road recovery etc etc. Take a look, its been created by 4wd enthusiasts and is underwritten by the Holland Group.

http://www.club4x4.com.au/

Last edited by Bussa; 07-09-2016, 08:03 AM.

Comment

There is not a single insurer other than Toyota Insurance that covers you for accidents or claims if you are not on a gazetted road or track.
              For all insurers, Off-road does NOT mean what it says. Off-road means not on a sealed road or track, but it must still be a gazetted road or track.
              If you get bogged on a beach and the tide comes in no-one but Toyota will cover you unless it is gazetted as a road such as some parts of Frazer Island.

Comment

I don't think I agree with hylife. I asked my 'normal' insurer and they told me I was covered for driving everywhere, even 4wd parks where they are not gazetted roads, as long as I was not participating in a motorsport event.

Comment

I'm with NRMA & although I've not checked in years, at the time they said I'm covered in on/off road circumstances EXCEPT in Rally situations. Might be time I checked this out again!!

Comment

I used to have my Surf insured with DGA Insurance for complete offroad cover including making up your own road. Looked into it for the Fortuner and it was going to be in the order of $1200 annually so went with RACQ instead. The way it was explained to me that if the road you are on exists on a map somewhere you are covered.

Comment

Originally posted by Psykamaholik View Post
                      I used to have my Surf insured with DGA Insurance for complete offroad cover including making up your own road. Looked into it for the Fortuner and it was going to be in the order of $1200 annually so went with RACQ instead. The way it was explained to me that if the road you are on exists on a map somewhere you are covered.
                      I am with DGA on my Hilux and have been since my Surf days (4 hilux's ago). I will stick with them when i get my new Fortuner at Xmas. Using the Hilux for work as a contract powerline designer for Ergon Energy & Essential Energy, i have had a good look at the policy and it covers me anywhere in OZ, whether on road or off road and all my accessories and modifications are covered, as long as they are listed.
                      I have lift kit, bullbar, canopy, HID lights, Roof racks, light bar, 250l petrol tank, 250l LPG tank, drawers, front and back winches, rear detroit locker, fancy juke box and Amp, uhf, flying doctor radio, epirb and all are covered. I also get 30 million public liability. I do a lot of work on Transmission line tracks and powerline access tracks through national parks and thats where i needed the assurances i would be covered. They gave me that in writing. Cost is $650 a year for the 08 4.0V6 dual cab. By the way, ALL beaches in QLD are gazetted roads.

Comment

I wonder why the Fortuner was going to be so expensive then? It has a few factory options and no mods but nearly double the price. Maybe because it was a brand new car?

Comment

All insurance depends on the driver age, history, private Vs commercial use, ABH holder, etc.
                          For me being rating 1 protected with RACV for many years it was going to be approx. $600 with normal $500 excess for my fully optioned Crusade ($74K on road).
                          When I was getting insurance quotes for 'Finn' (* pet name for my blue model) I requested they provide in writing that they would cover for real off-road use because I could not find it specified in any of the PDSs from insurers. They all had to push my query through to higher 2nd level help and when I said I required that confirmed in writing they all capitulated and said that coverage is only on gazetted roads and tracks.
                          I decided on Toyota insurance for $700pa because they would cover me anywhere.
                          All I can say to you is, request it in writing if you can't find it specifically mentioned in the PDS. If they wont put it in writing then go elsewhere.

* Blue Finn Tuna. Get it?

Comment

Working...
                          X