2WD OR 4WD in rain and floods?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2WD OR 4WD in rain and floods?

Hi? what mode on asphalt roads in heavy rain.

And what mode on flooded deep streets?

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...tem-explained/

Thx

2wd. You will damage the drive train if you drive for prolonged periods and attempt to turn the vehicle if there is no slippage in the wheels.

Comment

NEVER use 4wd on any sealed roads!! A part time 4WD system is not designed for it. It will cause drive line and axle wrap as the tires attempt to spin at the same speed, and potentially cause damage to drive shafts, the differentials, axles and gearbox. Fortuners are a part time system (as opposed to full-time in Klugers etc), meaning they should only be placed in 4WD on gravel or loose surfaces.

So to answer your question: The traction aids that are available on the Fortuner (and mostly all new cars) are designed to work in the normal operating conditions of the vehicle. Driving in heavy rain, the best course of action is to simply slow down! This will cause the less likely scenario of aqua-planing. No traction aid or 4WD will save you sliding at speed if your not paying attention, unless you're a drifter or race driver!
      Secondly: Deep flooded roads - simple. DONT DRIVE ACROSS THEM. If it is flooded, you can bet that there is plenty of water, moving at speed mind you, across that road. Many people have lost they're vehicles trying just that, ACROSS roads they 'know'. Fortuners have a wading depth of around 700mm, my personal opinion is that without a snorkel I wouldn't be going anywhere near that depth. Trust me I've blown a fist size hole in a diesel block before from thinking it'll be ok, just give it a go!

Hope my two cents saved you thousands in repair bills.....

Comment

Originally posted by Monaz View Post
        NEVER use 4wd on any sealed roads!! A part time 4WD system is not designed for it. It will cause drive line and axle wrap as the tires attempt to spin at the same speed, and potentially cause damage to drive shafts, the differentials, axles and gearbox. Fortuners are a part time system (as opposed to full-time in Klugers etc), meaning they should only be placed in 4WD on gravel or loose surfaces.

So to answer your question: The traction aids that are available on the Fortuner (and mostly all new cars) are designed to work in the normal operating conditions of the vehicle. Driving in heavy rain, the best course of action is to simply slow down! This will cause the less likely scenario of aqua-planing. No traction aid or 4WD will save you sliding at speed if your not paying attention, unless you're a drifter or race driver!
        Secondly: Deep flooded roads - simple. DONT DRIVE ACROSS THEM. If it is flooded, you can bet that there is plenty of water, moving at speed mind you, across that road. Many people have lost they're vehicles trying just that, ACROSS roads they 'know'. Fortuners have a wading depth of around 700mm, my personal opinion is that without a snorkel I wouldn't be going anywhere near that depth. Trust me I've blown a fist size hole in a diesel block before from thinking it'll be ok, just give it a go!

Hope my two cents saved you thousands in repair bills.....
        Thx
        I live in Thailand they got rainy seson here.
        Floods i mean not very deep and rapid. Lets say bit above ankle deep.

Anyway its 2WD then.
        4WD sand gravel rocks snow......

In manual it says drive car every month for 16km on 4WD to oil it up.

I dont have off road around here really lol.

Should i do it on the road or skip it?

Thx

Comment

Originally posted by hostile View Post

Thx
          I live in Thailand they got rainy seson here.
          Floods i mean not very deep and rapid. Lets say bit above ankle deep.

Anyway its 2WD then.
          4WD sand gravel rocks snow......

In manual it says drive car every month for 16km on 4WD to oil it up.

I dont have off road around here really lol.

Should i do it on the road or skip it?

Thx
          If the manual tells you that, then I'd say it's a perfect excuse to find somewhere to get away to every month and lock it 4x4!! ....but if you cant do it. Skip it. But then again, I'm not Mr Toyota so take my advice how you will.
          Last edited by Monaz; 22-09-2016, 05:20 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X