Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hilux Moose Test - Real or Rigged?

Hi Guys,

I am sure some of you have seen this by now. Supposedly the Lux is pretty bad for directional stability and hence this may transfer to the Fortuner. But something is bugging me about this video. To me it just seems that the Hilux has been swung just that much further on the course and the tyres almost look under inflated as well.

Also, the faster something is travelling in a straight line i.e. all of the vehicles the more straight line momentum it should theoretically have...

Anyway, have a look and see for yourself, whether it is real or not it needs to be mentioned due to the similarities between the Fortuner and the Hilux.
    Fortuner Forum Default Signature!

I'm no engineer, but several factors should be considered, although I've not checked. Just me talking off the top of my head...

Tyre size ie 16" or 18" & air pressure in each car tested; tyre width eg are they all say 265s or are some 285s; width of each car itself- the wider the car the more stable shifting side to side; severity of the way in which the driver turns the steering wheel, & whether its the same turn ratio in each car driven, eg quarter turn as opposed to half a turn, will result in more sideways movement; weight of each vehicle.

The Fortuner is the first Toyota I've had, previous were GU Patrol & Pajero, & 20-ish years in 4x4s. This is the first time I've been made aware of any 4x4 listing this much.

Sorry, but I'm a bit of a sceptic at the moment. Would love to know if there's any real roll-over stats out there held by either respective police forces or insurance companies!

Comment

doesnt the Hilux use rear leaf springs ? would that alone make a difference. Personally i dont believe the test , maybe as Anthony says the driver purposely made more aggressive movements in the Hilux than he did in the other cars?

edit : watched it a few more times - the VW Am A Crock Of Crap was definitely going much slower than all the others , as was the yank tank.
      Last edited by White One; 27-10-2016, 07:13 PM. Reason: additional info
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

If you browse the Toyota Sweden website there is no mention of VSC on the Hilux. VSC is standard accross the board for Fortuner and Hilux's in Oz.

The website mentions all the other 3 letter acronym safety features, so I think I'm safe to assume it just doesn't come with it in Sweden

Comment

Wow 3 million++ views. That guy sure making money from YouTube.

Hey, I am seeing the hilux braking after the second corner, just before tipping.

Comment

I found my stock Fortuner to be very scary when loaded and driving on country roads at highway speeds so am not surprised by the video. Having said that, I've had a minor lift with suspension upgrade and 265/70/17 bfgoodrich AT tyres and the vehicle past the "swerve test" as part of engineering certification for a gvm upgrade without an issue....

Comment

Somebody did not like Toyota. If you can see the black smoke emitting from the Hilux when it bounced back meant that the DRIVER was on the Throttle constantly. He meant to do that. Whereas the other diesel cars drifted and lifted off the throttle, indicating a different steering angle when entering the chicane. It's a bulltwang test.

Having been driving at racetracks for the past 20 years, you can pretty much ROLL any car if you really wanted to.
              Last edited by cheekydonkey; 29-10-2016, 08:38 PM.

Comment

Even if it was true, the first test was with 18" rims. The second test was with 17" (which is what our Fortuner has) and wasn't as bad. But it did look like he was belting the hilux a little more then the others.

Comment

Crock of sh!t test.
                  Deliberately under inflated tyres.
                  Just look at the tyres nearly being pushed off the rims. Under inflated tyres will bite in on the sidewall and provide way more grip than is safe.

And, this doesn't compare to the tuna with a completely different rear suspension setup and a completely differently tuned suspension that was designed by Australians for towing and real 4x4, not by Thai pickup/ute engineers for tray payloads.

Comment

Working...
                  X