Rear seat removal and reinstall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear seat removal and reinstall

Has anyone who has removed the rear seats attempted to reinstall them? I've taken mine out, and don't have any immediate plans to put them back in, but I have a feeling getting them back in is going to be a lot more difficult than taking them out.

Thought same thing when I took mine out....

Comment

Yeah it might be a 2 person job. Does anyone else think its wierd they dont have a fill panel for the trim where the hinges went? The big gaping holes with painted steel underneath arent the most glamorous, although the bolts are useful for tie down points!

Comment

As you take and which tools are needed?
        Some details and photos?
        A cover which is placed support is removed?
        In the second row and get them out?

Alexander

Comment

I found some photos from this website... can see the covers removed and parts inside... not sure if that helps
          https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car...ot-removeable/

Comment

https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-advice/toyota-fortuner-clarifies-ground-clearance-is-not-279mm-seats-not-removeable/ ;
            The third row rear seats are not designed to be user-removeable; there’s no easy clip on/off as you find with other fold-up seats. We did remove one anyway so we could fit more camping gear in the back, as many owners will, so it was a reasonable test even if it’s not what you’re really meant to do with test cars.

To remove you need to pull off a couple of bits of trim and undo two 14mm bolts. Once removed there is no trim part to cover the gap. Refitting is really, really difficult. We are seeing if there are any 5-seater Fortuners elsewhere in the world which would have the appropriate trim panels to fix the gap.

Alexander

Comment

Looking at that article i removed my differently. I removed the hinge completely from the wheel arch, and left the hinge attached to the seat. Then i replaced the centre bolt back into the wheel arch with a small shackle attached so i can run tie down straps through it.

Comment

I did the same as deeman111, removed the entire assembly by removing the two locking pins, then removing the three retaining bolts for the bracket. The design of the 6th and 7th seat in my mind was almost an after thought by the Toyota engineers.

Comment

In regards to the tools, I think it was a 14mm ratchet to get into the bolts. I'll try and get some photos up over the weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by SJC View Post
                    In regards to the tools, I think it was a 14mm ratchet to get into the bolts. I'll try and get some photos up over the weekend.

Tanks!!!!
                    Alexander

Comment

Originally posted by SJC View Post

?
                      Alexander

Comment

This is how it looks after the seats are removed. 14mm Ratchet will do the job.

Comment

• cheekydonkey
                          cheekydonkey commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I think we can 3D print a nice cover for this ugly hole. I will get my mate to help me with this when I get my Tuna. If it works, we'll sell the parts.

I also removed my rear seats didn't think was too hard I removed the three hold down bolts that bolt to the wheel arch. Took the whole bracket in one go. To fill the gap that it has left am going to go to Clark rubber and get some grey foam to push in there.

Comment

• Jimmy
                          Jimmy commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hi Jncoxon,

Just wondering if you've filled the gap? if so would love to see some pics ..

cheers Jimmy

I did this job today, not too hard.

Some further advice that might help others:

- You have to remove three pieces of trim.
                        - The large wheel arch shaped piece. This comes off easily in an upward direction.
                        - A small piece at the bottom of the seat mount, remove with seat stowed. This is a right-bastard of a thing held in by two very strong white trim clips.
                        - An even smaller piece at the top of the seat mount. lower the foldef seat down to remove this. It is easy to remove and will reveal the centre bolt that you have to remove.
                        - Remove the centre bolt completely first without touching the outer two. Do this while the (folded) seat is lowered.
                        - Then fully stow the seat (clip it up) to remove the outer two bolts. This should be pretty easy without any tension on the bolts.
                        - Remove the seat by lifting it up and out, it is held in place by a long aligning pin.

You need a 14mm ratchet with a short extension.

Using this method in reverse, it seems like it would be pretty easy to put back in also, though I haven't actually tried.

For a few pictures, you can refer to Steps 7-8 from the towbar wiring harness accessory instructions which can be found by searching for
                        PQ6189160 at the site: https://toyotamanuals.com.au/accessories

Good luck!
                        Dave

Comment

• mrh460
                          mrh460 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks very much, Dave. Very helpful. For those trying the link, the part number is PZQ6189160.

Hey all, I have read through the posts for this subject and have noticed the legal requirements of removing the third row of seats has not been mentioned. I can only comment on the requirement in NSW if you modify your vehicle. The RMS require that you also remove the third row seat belts as well. You will need to attend an inspection station that is authorised to issue Blue Slips. If all is correct they will adjust your vehicle registration by recording reduced seating capacity from 7 to 5. You should also inform your Insurance Company of the adjustment of record to reflect the change in seating. This cost me $28 and about 30 minutes. I'm avoiding issues that may arise due to non compliance.
                        Marti

Comment

Working...
                        X