Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clunking when releasing the brake pedal.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clunking when releasing the brake pedal.

I've a dead stock GX Auto Tuna 30,000 kms. 4 months old, light 4wd weekend duties. Recently I noticed that there is a clunk when I release the brakes from a dead stop. It sounds more like a thud than a clunk. I'm guessing that it might be the prop-shafts that need re-greasing? I hope it's not the ball joints. I'm not too worried tho, it's still under warranty. It's better to have these issues now rather than having them later when warranty is off.

Anybody have any idea what may the cause of the thud/clunk? thanks!

might be the tailshaft clunk which is common on Hilux models. not sure though . Seems funny that Hilux has the same running gear, they get the clunk from new and we dont?? Toyota starts by greasing the splines and then replace tailshafts but only if owners make a big complaint about it. I dont think its the uni joints , its been the drive yoke / splines itself , not machined properly.
    I noticed a blob of white paint on my grease nipples so it will be easy to tell if they get greased at service time. my tailshaft part number is 37100-0KJ00-00 if you need to compare.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Alright. The clunk is gone. I've greased all points with the NLGI No.2 Lithium Based Grease (Valvoline EP grease) and whalla! clunk is gone. Driveline is a now just as quite when the car was brand new. I suspect that apprentice at Toyota got lazy as the excess grease that I pumped out was fresh Valvoline EP. Damn. I think it's better we do our own servicing.

Comment

did your grease nipples have a blob of paint on them?
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

There was a white paint there. Looks like some check indicators from factory. I would think that it wasn't done properly. Buy it's all good now.

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
            might be the tailshaft clunk which is common on Hilux models. not sure though . Seems funny that Hilux has the same running gear, they get the clunk from new and we dont?? Toyota starts by greasing the splines and then replace tailshafts but only if owners make a big complaint about it. I dont think its the uni joints , its been the drive yoke / splines itself , not machined properly.
            I noticed a blob of white paint on my grease nipples so it will be easy to tell if they get greased at service time. my tailshaft part number is 37100-0KJ00-00 if you need to compare.
            The hilux has a different tailshaft, longer I presume.
            Cheers Dave
            2015 GX Auto

Comment

The clunking happened approximately 5000kms after a dealer service. I really think we should climb under our own cars and do this greasing on our own if you use your car in a very harsh condition and long distances.

Comment

Working...
              X