Tyre Sizes and Fuel Economy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Sizes and Fuel Economy

G'day All, I have taken delivery of my new Graphite GXL Auto and it is nice πŸ‘ŒπŸΌ I haven't driven it much though my wife gets to drive it. Anyway we have a Bullbar and Rear Bar ordered and we will be getting some suspension fitted when $$ allow I was just wondering how those of you with larger tyres go with your fuel economy compared to standard tyres? Also regarding scrubbing with a mild lift? I was thinking Goodyear DuraTracs in 265/70-17

Cheers
    Nusk

If it helps, I've a 40ml lift. In terms of weight up front; got a steel bull bar, winch, dual battery & spotties. My tyres are 265/60/r18 BFG-KO2s & no rubbing.

Comment

I've just had 265/70 17's fitted and it has pushed fuel economy from 9L/100 to 10L/100. Has also affected power very slightly, only really notice it going up hills, tends to sit back a gear and rev a bit harder than with the stock tyres on. Pretty sure this is why economy has gone down a bit too. Reckon on flat highways or city driving it probably wouldn't be as bad. I drive along a hilly freeway everyday so notice it more. As far as scrubbing I have a 40mm lift and its all good, just touches the hose from my remote res shocks at full lock on one side. Need to see if I can move hose a bit to stop it hitting but just try to avoid full lock at the moment. Hose is pretty tough so doubt it will do any damage.

Comment

Thanks for your sharing your experienced. I agreed, as larger tyre create additional width and aspect ration which cause that experience particular in fuel saving.

Comment

Makes sense, your final drive ratio has just got taller.
          but in saying this changing from 265/65 to 265/70 the side wall is only 8.25mm higher and width is same.
          So essentially you get 8mm more diff clearance from the ground but over the rolling distance of the tyre it's making enough difference to put just a bit more load on the engine.
          It really makes you appreciate the engineering that Toyota have put into this vehicle.
          I bet the 40mm lift looks sweet as! You got any pics of your lift / suspension set up?

Comment

265/70r17 bfg ko2 with ome lift (35mm,25mm), bull bar,winch, scrub bars and side steps plus dual battery's.
            no scrubbing anywhere, avg 11L/100 mixed driving

Comment

Originally posted by Spook1205 View Post
              Makes sense, your final drive ratio has just got taller.
              but in saying this changing from 265/65 to 265/70 the side wall is only 8.25mm higher and width is same.
              So essentially you get 8mm more diff clearance from the ground but over the rolling distance of the tyre it's making enough difference to put just a bit more load on the engine.
              It really makes you appreciate the engineering that Toyota have put into this vehicle.
              I bet the 40mm lift looks sweet as! You got any pics of your lift / suspension set up?
              Really happy with the lift, get a fair few comments on how high it looks. Can really tell the difference when I’m next to a stock tuna in traffic. Fuel economy still sits around 10L/100 and have gotten used to the tiny loss of power. Fixed the hose rubbing issue as well by just cable tying it out of the way.
              Hanging to get off road! Been stupidly busy lately but should get more time to test her out properly over the next few months.
              Last edited by Eddo83; 26-10-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

• tuna tourer
                tuna tourer commented
                Editing a comment
                you have hardly got those front struts wound up either

That really does look the goods mateπŸ‘
              I really do like the blue colour and the front bar eye catching.
              overall nice set up mate.
              Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
              X