Additional Light to Tailgate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Additional Light to Tailgate

I've been toying with adding another light to the inside of the tailgate to light up the area at night when touring/camping. Just wondering if anyone has done this already, and if you have what you ended up doing? I've got a Dual Battery, so was looking at hooking something in to that. Toying with the idea of a flexible stick on LED strip, with a switch mounted "somewhere" neat. Anyone done this or something like it and got any pics? Thanks in advance.

I've 2 x LED strip lights running horizontally mounted in the rear, & 2 x LED strips running vertically mounted in the rear. These 4 LEDS work off the 1 switch. These 4 lights illuminate the rear quite well at night.

I also have 1 x LED strip light mounted on the rear ceiling liner, near the rear courtesy light. My fridge doesn't have an internal light, so the reason for this light is two fold. [1] to illuminate the fridge is slid out & opened, & [2] to give me light when I'm using the rear drawers.

With the wiring, I ran 6 mm twin core from my deep cycle battery (under bonnet) to the rear of the car & connected it to a 4 gang LED switch panel, which I've used as a fuse junction box. From there to the LEDS, I used thinner wire gauge to the strip lights. The gang switch panel ain't pretty, but it works well enough for me.

Comment

Thanks Anthony, appreciate the response.

Comment

Forgot to mention I've also got 2 x LED strip lights mounted under the bonnet using double sided tape, to illuminate the engine bay. The red glow you can see at the passenger firewall is from the switch I installed & hooked up to the deep cycle battery. The photo was taken this morning about 6.30, just on dawn, so you can see it lights up the engine bay fairly well.

Comment

Working...
        X