lockable hitch pins won't fit Fortuner factory tow bar hitch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lockable hitch pins won't fit Fortuner factory tow bar hitch

Bought a Hayman Reese lockable straight hitch pin today only to discover there isn't enough room to use the lock part of it due to the proximity of the 7 pin flat plug receiver to where the hitch pin comes through. Has anyone found a lockable hitch pin that will work with the factory tow bar setup short of moving the 7 pin flat plug receiver out of the way? The Hayman Reese lockable straight hitch pin looked to be the smallest profile of those at Supercheap Auto. Ended up swapping it for a Master Lock Python cable lock in order to secure my off-road bike carrier to the car.

Type Hitch Lock in the search field, press enter. There's a few posts in it & some ideas/photos which may help

Comment

• tekka maki
      tekka maki commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the tip.

I found the same problem but I moved my trailer connector , flipped it under the bracket instead of on top.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

For anyone still looking for a quality lockable hitch pin that doesn't require you to make any modifications to the OEM towing setup, I finally managed to find one and are currently using it: http://www.australianlock.com.au/talon-fatl150.html

Comment

• Spook1205
        Spook1205 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice find!
        Even better is they are not far from work😀

I picked up a Purpleline Torpedo Hitch Lock.
      Paranoid about undesirables using a steel pipe to leverage off the locking pin section, so I thought I'd reverse it so that its on the inside - towards the 7 PIN connector.

I use the towbar mainly for towing the boat, so I don't really have a need to keep removing the hitch lock.
      Having said that, it takes several minutes to unbolt the 7 PIN bracket to gain access to the key hole.
      But hopefully long enough deterrent for any opportunistic thieves.

i may actually extend the 7 Pin bracket a little further to the left so the hitch lock has a little more play to allow it to move around when towing - at the moment its got a couple of millimetres gap.

Is this how you guys have also installed your hitch locks?

Click image for larger version  Name:	Hitch2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	57.8 KB ID:	13772Click image for larger version  Name:	Hitch1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.0 KB ID:	13773
      Last edited by Chris4Tuner; 02-07-2019, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Comment

Way back when, they were called Talon Locks. I also had them keyed alike for some padlocks. Not cheap, but saves having a bunch of keys.

Comment

Working...
          X