Installing REDARC Tow Pro Elite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing REDARC Tow Pro Elite

I'v used the search but can't find anything comprehensive, has anyone written instructions for installing a REDARC Tow Pro Elite specifically into a Fortuner?
    Perhaps with a picture of how the mounted it included?
    I am about to purchase one and self install.
    TIA.
    Richard.

Hi rich,

I'm not a tower at this stage, but I have looked into this to future-proof my wiring. (I installed heavy guage wire to an anderson plug at the tow plug).
    Assuming you have the standard toyota towbar and harness, the blue 'brake' wire from the tow plug that the towpro needs to connect to is terminated behind the left hand trim piece in the boot. This is also where you will find easy access to the necessary brake signal that it also needs. So I would be very tempted to install the towpro back there (I understand it doesnt matter where the main unit lives), and run the single cat5 cable (you'll need an extension) to the knob/switch along the LHS trim to the dash area.

Have a look at the toyota instructions for the official tow harness, it will give you hints on what trim needs removing and how to route the cable from the front to back down the LHS of the car (though your job will be much simpler as you dont need to touch the bumper). Go to https://toyotamanuals.com.au/accessories and search for PZQ6189160.

My suggested location for the towpro would be near where the trailer ECU goes in those instructions.

Having said that, I'm not a professional and may be missing something as I've only given it a little thought.
    Dave

Comment

• rich
      rich commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Dave. Where did you buy that split tubing from? I need to get something tomorrow.

• DaveC
      DaveC commented
      Editing a comment
      Most auto stores should have it (Supercheap, Repco, Autobarn etc), or Jaycar. Take a small off-cut of the wire with you so you can make sure you get the right size.

• rich
      rich commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for all your help Dave.

Here's a shortcut to the instructions referred to by DaveC.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5r6jnzt5b...rness.pdf?dl=0
    2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

I mounted my Tow Pro Elite behind the lower right hand switch panel where there are two unused threaded captive nuts. I made a plate to mount the TPE to with holes for bolts into these nuts. I ordered the clip in Trailer Brake panel from Redarc. I then ran a twin cable to the rear left to splice into the blue wire and rake signal as described earlier. Click image for larger version

Name:	20171213_171852[2].jpg
Views:	1238
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	8751Click image for larger version

Name:	20171213_171941[1].jpg
Views:	1129
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	8752

Comment

Looks like redarc has their own wiring kit and instructions:

https://www.redarc.com.au/toyota-hil...pro-wiring-kit

Costs almost as much as the towpro!

That could give you some ideas. If you do use that kit. I would definitely skip the splicing near the tow plug business and pick up the brake/brake light connections behind that LHS trim panel in the boot. Much neater and easier IMHO. Its not hard to get in there, only have to remove 3rd row seat (if you haven't already), seatbelt bolts, rear scuff panel (the long skinny bit at very rear edge of the boot) and finally that large LHS panel itself, easy enough.

If you don't use that kit. I'd mount the unit itself in the rear as discussed earlier and buy the right size rj45 lan cable to run to the dash for the knob. Only issue then is how you power it, you could piggy-back an existing run (e.g. if you have an Anderson for the trailer off the main battery), or do a dedicated run through the firewall grommet to the pre-installed accessory fuse box (neat!). If you do piggy back, be sure to use a fuse (25A is suggested by redarc) as close as possible to where you join the trailer power run which is almost certainly a much fatter cable fused at more than 25A.

Good luck!
        Dave

Comment

Thanks very much guys. This TPE will help me prepare for a new Jayco Camper Trailer in the new year.

They don't use Anderson plugs any more apparently Dave, apparently now they replace the 7 pin Toyota trailer plug with a 12 pin plug, and just use one of those pins for power instead of Anderson plug. I will wire this at the same time.

Comment

Before I install this Redarc Brake Controller next week, has anyone found a brake wire under the dashboard to connect to the Redarc Tow Pro, or is running a wire to the rear of the car inside to that back left hand panel the only solution for the brake signal?
            Also, what trail do you follow when running the wires
            internally?

Comment

The PDF's mentioned above (redarc and toyotamanuals) will show the internal cable routing. Its basically straight down the LHS edge of the car (e.g. under the door kick panels).
              Regarding getting a brake signal up the front, I'm sure there would be a way. I'm pretty sure the toyota harness (instructions linked above) picks up the RHS turn signal behind the glovebox... You might need to pay for a days access to toyotamanuals and find the wiring diagrams.

Dave

Comment

Brake light switch on brake pedal pretty reliable place

Comment

I can send you a soft copy of the wiring diagrams if required. The Green wire goes from the stop light switch to the lights so can used as a trigger for a brake controller. BUT - if you use this wire and the brake controller goes faulty for any reason there is a risk of the brake controller affecting the operation of the cars electronic braking systems . so - in order to keep the original braking systems separated its best to run the additonal wire to the back of the car and pick up the brake signal from the towbar harness. The towbar ECU has its own overload mechanisms built in.

And this way any faults arising in the brake controller wont affect anything else. Call me OCD if you like but thats my opinion.
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

I guess if you have to run one wire from the brake controller unit to the Blue wire, then you might as well run twin core and pick up the brake trigger from there also. It doesn't seem to make much difference where you mount it, as you need to run wires between the unit and the dashboard for the control switch.

Am I right in understanding that you need to remove the third row seat, in order to access where the
                    blue wire (from the trailer plug) terminates behind that panel (on the left in the rear of the vehicle)?

Rich.

Comment

Originally posted by rich View Post
                      Am I right in understanding that you need to remove the third row seat, in order to access where the
                      blue wire (from the trailer plug) terminates behind that panel (on the left in the rear of the vehicle)?
                      Rich.
                      Yep. Remove 3rd row seat, seatbelt bolts, rear scuff panel (the long skinny bit at very rear edge of the boot) and finally that large LHS panel itself.

Comment

I have run 2 x 7 core trailer cables back to the jack compartment , plus a 4mm for the trailer brakes , plus a 6mm which feeds the fridge socket.and other lights.
                        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Well, Have got the Redarc Tow Pro Elite installed.

Without a trailer/caravan connected, there is no way of knowing if it is working I presume, as the instructions state that the lights flash during initial calibration only if you have a trailer connected.
                          During normal driving (without trailer) there are no indications from it at all, is this how it works? Hopefully it is working and ready.

Thanks for all the help on here in this thread, appreciate it.

Rich.

Comment

thats correct , with no trailer it just does nothing and flashes no lights. They do draw about 10milliamp when ignition switched off so will add a bit more parasitic drain .
                            If you want to test it at any time just connect a 21w light globe across the blue wire and earth , which makes the unit think you have plugged in a trailer.
                            2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                            X