How to open bonnet when cable not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to open bonnet when cable not working

I have just tried to open my bonnet and when I pulled the toggle inside the car it did not disengage the locking mechanism under the bonnet, in fact after a few tugs on the toggle the whole toggle mechanism fell apart. Trying to access the locking mechanism under the bonnet is not easy, I have even outsmarted an RAA mechanic who spent some time trying to gain access to the bonnet latch without success. As I have been away for 4 weeks on holiday my battery is flat, well not enough power to start the engine anyhow, which surprises me as the car is only 18 months old, I would have thought the battery would have held its charge over this period of time. Now I am in a situation where I cannot access the battery to charge it to start the car and consequently cannot take it to a garage to fix it, any suggestions please?
    2016 Fortuner Crusade

If bonnets are tight and not releasing get someone to push down on the bonnet when you pull cable. If no luck with that you have to get it from underneath.

Comment

Sorry Larrco; just tried to open mine using both a steel. & an aluminium flat bar in through the grill slits without any joy. While I could get them onto the lever, I just couldn't open it.

I also tried laying on the ground to see if I could get up to the lever from ground level, but I've a bull bar with winch, which I think may have stopped this idea dead in its tracks before I'd even started....

Hopefully someone can help, sorry.

Comment

All you can do is get underneath the car and hook up a battery charger to the starter motor cable. Then once the battery is charged you can start the car and take it in to Toyota for a bonnet cable fix. the battery failing issue is a common one , the charge voltages are too low to begin with.
        If you were desparate you may be able to cut the bonnet cable and pull the inner cable with pliers
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

id ring your local toyota dealer and they can get it towed to them for a repair

Comment

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Patience won in the end. I carefully removed the Toyota badge from the grille with very minor damage to one of the screw fittings, which I fixed with super glue. This gave me access to the bonnet latch. I then undid the three 10mm bolts that hold the bonnet latch to the body and released the latch. With the help of a friend who pulled the cable from inside the car and me wiggling the latch we managed to release the latch from the bonnet and gain access to the engine compartment. I have ordered a new bonnet latch as I think mine is faulty.

Comment

so did you find the flat battery issue after you got access to it?
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
              X