Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof rack options for GX

Hi,

It looks like the only roof rack option for GX are those that clamp onto the roof where the doors close.
    This doesn't seem like a great mechanism, and it also means the position of the bars is well forward.

Does anyone know of a better option now, or know if better options will come down the track.

I see that the Prado GX, which is also defined by not having factory rails, does seem to have a proper rack option from the likes of rhino and prorack.

Another option might be to see if you can fit the GXL factory rails to a GX?

I'm interested in what other GX owners are doing.

Dave

Hey Dave, I wonder how far off Rhino is with developing a track mount. When it comes that will open the GX to all options including roof trays. I have a crusade and I don't know if the rails are an advantage, at this point. I have been told by Rhino that when tray mounts are developed for the rails they will only reccomend a platform due to height. I'm looking forward to reading what option others have used or looked into. Marti.

Comment

Can You get platform ? I have GXL and I was wonder Can I get platform like Rhino ?

Comment

• Marti
        Marti commented
        Editing a comment
        Not until the rail to tray mounts are developed to suit. Nick if you ring Rhino I'm sure they will give you an update. Marti.

You can see from the video below how the prado ones work, looks like they use the existing mount points in the prado roof.
      Does anyone know if the GX has such mounting holes hiding the the roof track already? (I have ordered a GX, but don't have it yet).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9qzV7uzIjM

Dave

Comment

I have a GX and am waiting for track mounts or if Frontrunner offer a GX option. Longer term I think these will offer greater options than after market fitting the GXL rails.

Comment

Originally posted by Marti View Post
          Hey Dave, I wonder how far off Rhino is with developing a track mount. When it comes that will open the GX i.
          I've just been told about 4 weeks for Rhino track mounts

Comment

Originally posted by gbrought View Post

I've just been told about 4 weeks for Rhino track mounts
            That's great news, I will hold out for that for my GX (which I get tomorrow!).
            I actually contacted Rhino myself (via their website) but got no reply which was a little disappointing, hopefully they at least read my email and know we are out there waiting patiently..

Dave

Comment

Sydney-siders might want to get in on this:

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/promotions/70-percent-off

I am hoping it means they are close to releasing a new rack for the GX.

If anyone does volunteer, let us know how you go and what the rack is like.

Dave

Comment

Rhino have a track-mount one for the hilux now:

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products...of-rack_ja8395

You can read the fitting instructions to see how it works.

I'm kinda hoping the roof channel is the same and they simply have to tweak the kit with a longer track.
                I might contact rhino via a local retailer to see where its at.

Dave

Comment

Thanks DaveC,
                  Can you post any updates?? I have asked locally in Brisbane but "still waiting for the development team" was all I got. Hopefully not too long now.

J

Comment

Hi All, potential GX purchaser here and also wondering what the best option for roof racks will be. Will keep watching this thread.

FYI video on Rhino Rack website of fitting the ones that mount in the doors http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products...of-rack_rs671b

Comment

Hi all. I'm a newbie to the forum but have made several enquiries myself with Rhino 2 weeks ago about roof rails / tracks, as I've a GX too. Rhino expect to get the plans for rails / tracks from overseas sometime this month, with local production happening in July/August. Also spoke to ARB at Moorebank, who said they should have more fortuner products available mid 2016, but couldn't give an exact month or what the products will be.

Comment

Thanks for the update, I hadn't gotten around to calling the rhino dealer here yet.
                        I did hear from another owner who signed up for the test-fitting that they are fitting the final rack to his car on the 20th of this month.
                        Hopefully general availability wont be long after that.

Comment

Rhino have some more racks available for the GX!

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/fit-my-c...r-suv-11-15-on

Just added is the track system with a choice of crossbars. No platforms on the list yet, but they will certainly come. The platforms on other vehicles use the same track system and legs, so they will be compatible for sure.

For those who don't know, the track system works by removing most of the rubber channel fill on the roof of the GX and replacing it with a custom-fit metal rail, held in my rivets (yes, it involves drilling your roof!, see the instructions in the download section of the product page for details). The legs then attach to the rail.

Dave

Comment

• gbrought
                            gbrought commented
                            Editing a comment
                            Hi Dave, I just got back from 3 weeks in Central Aust and can report that my prototype track mounted pioneer rack worked flawlessly carrying a variety of loads: swags, box, spare tyre (or two - one for my bro-in-law). Hit some pretty gnarly crosswinds the last couple of day coming home from Birdsville and everything has held togged nicely. So I think what Rhino have worked out for the GX is pretty much spot on. cheer Geoff.

Anybody know what the roof loading limit is? You'd need to consider this so that you buy the correct set of bars.

Comment

Working...
                          X