Drifta Drawers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drifta Drawers

My Drifta Drawers arrived during the week & I finished installing them today.
    I'm very happy with them so far, early days tho.
    It's definitely a two person job just cause of the awkwardness & size of them.

Looks great Benicio, thanks for posting!

I really like the look of the drifta gear and have been considering it myself. I like the carback combo (kitchen drawer) myself.
    A couple of Q's:

- Did they already have the fortuner measured up?. i.e. the side wings etc were available for sale?
    - How does it bolt down?

Thanks,
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
      Looks great Benicio, thanks for posting!

I really like the look of the drifta gear and have been considering it myself. I like the carback combo (kitchen drawer) myself.
      A couple of Q's:

- Did they already have the fortuner measured up?. i.e. the side wings etc were available for sale?
      - How does it bolt down?

Thanks,
      Dave
      Hi Dave.

When I rang to enquire whether drawers for the Fortuner were available Mark said he'd only just been to measure one up.
      I think the drawers are pretty standard for all vehicles (other than the length).
      So the drawers came complete but you have to cut the side wings & stick the carpet on them yourself.
      I'm very average on the tools & it took me less than hour to complete the side wings.
      I had to borrow a jig saw from work & buy some contact adhesive & the job was done.
      The drawers themselves come with four brackets, two go on the bottom seat belt bolts & are attached to the drawers by the attached turn buckles.
      The other two brackets are a bit trickier as they are attached to the most forward of the three rear seat bolts and then you have to drill holes in the drawer frames & bolt them to the brackets.
      This is definitely a two person job because the room is limited so we put the drawers in, marked where the brackets would attach pulled the drawers out, bolted on the brackets put them back in & bolted it all together.
      There were no instructions for the drawer install yet due to it being a new car (they are coming) so I rang Mark & he explained it all.

The side wings came with instructions & I also ordered infills for under the side wings but I don't think I'll put them on due to the gap being minimal & not very noticeable.

If I lived near Gloucester in NSW I would have got them to install them. (I think it costs about $150)

They cost me about $1600 delivered to Adelaide.

Also when I ordered mine there was a 7 week wait.

I made my decision to go with Drifta by reading other peoples opinions on various forums.

Like I said I'm not very good on the tools & found it pretty easy.

Sorry for the long winded post, thought others may benefit.

Happy to post more photos.

Cheers.
      Last edited by Benicio; 11-06-2016, 04:57 PM.

Comment

http://www.drifta.com.au/toyota-fort...rawer-package/
        Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Comment

very nice!

Comment

I had to cut & carpet my own side wings & drill holes for the brackets.
            If they do all this for you it'd be very simple to install them yourself.

Maybe if the moderators could move this thread to aftermarket. (my mistake)

Comment

+1 for the drifts drawers. I had mine installed a month or so ago by mark as I also had a 60l ARB fridge and msa slide to go in. Was a very tight fit but it's in. Also got the kitchen drawer setup with the 40l water tank. I've pulled the drawer system in and out by myself without to much difficulty. The above link for the drifta site is my vehicle so if anybody wants some more detailed pics let me know.

Comment

• 4Tuner
                4Tuner commented
                Editing a comment
                interested to hear that the ARB 60L fridge fits.. I was thinking it might not fit...sounds like it is tight.. is there are cargo barrier? photo would be great if not too much hassle. thanks

Hi Gary,

I've got a few questions:

- Do you also have the fridge barrier panel?
              - How do you access the water? do you have a hose running down beside the drawers to the back of the car or do you access it from behind the rear passengers seat?
              - Do you have a cargo barrier fitted along with the drawers (pics didn't have one but it looked like the brackets were there). Does the barrier take up much potential space that could otherwise have been used by extending the drawers right to the seat-backs?
              - Do you think you could get away with a regular fridge slide (considerations are the height to access the fridge, and whether you could even open the lid without hitting the open tailgate). I have a smaller 40L engel with the side opening lid (eclipse model). The drop slide cost and weight (they are about 37kg!) are a bit of a turnoff!

It sounds like a great system. A pic complete with fridge etc fitted would be great

Thanks,
              Dave

Comment

DaveC, I had the Toyota cargo barrier but removed it to fit the drawers. I suppose you could technically fit a set of drawers with a full length cargo barrier but the drawers will be very shallow. I plan to make a new cargo barrier that will go from the top of the drawers to the roof using the existing upper cargo barrier mounting points. I'm thinking a metal frame bolted to the drawers with a soft mesh back.

The water is accessed via the rear passenger side door. From the picture, the larger black pipe is the filler, the clear hose is a breather line that I loop up near the roof and back down. The white hose is the outlet which has an inline tap. The water is accessed via the rear passenger door. I will be adding a pump and an additional hose/tap so that the water can be accessed from the rear of the vehicle.

I have the MSA DS50 (drop slide) fridge slide. This is an expensive slide but they're aren't to many options. You can go with a non drop slide and mount the fridge at floor level and have two stacked drawers next to the fridge. The drifta site has some example of this. But I wanted to be able to remove the fridge and slide and have a flat cargo area with the drawers still in place. Personal choice. I would not use a non dropping slide on top of the drawers as you would need a step ladder to look in and you'll have no room to open the fridge to to the way the rear door opens on the fortuner.

Mark had to shave a bit of metal off the slide handle as its very close to the rear glass. I have since added some foam around the handle just to be safe. The slide rattles a little, but when the slide is removed there is no noticeable noise from the drawers.

Mark (Drifta) tailored all the dimensions for my particular setup. If you use a different fridge you may get more drawer height (or less). Mark made the drawers as deep as possible so that my fridge just fits under the top of the rear opening.

Adding the 40l water tank shortens my drawers by about 100mm. The table is still full length as it slides in above the top of the water tank.

The fridge divider and slide are mounted with captive nuts so its really easy to remove and install when needed.

cheers

Gary

Comment

Thanks for the info, it looks great!

Dave

Comment

hey mate I'm interested in making a slide out table for in the back of my car. I was wondering how do they have theirs slide in and out? Does it just slide in and out on carpet or do they use their teflon slides and also are there any clips etc?

Comment

DaveC; for what its worth I had a half cargo barrier installed (well after I got the drawers), where the base of it basically sits / is anchored onto the rear top of the drawers. A half barrier may be an option for you.

Similar to gary, the rear handle of my fridge (60 litre Evakool) closest to the cargo barrier was touching the barrier. I solved the problem by replacing the stock rear handle with a tie down bracket used on Bushman car fridges. The rear of the fridge no longer touches the cargo barrier.

Comment

• RJS
                        RJS commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I've been looking at the half cargo barrier to go onto my Drifta drawers, what sort of price and where did you get it done?

RJS; Got mine from ORS (off road systems) 14 Orielton Rd., Smeaton Grange (outer western Sydney) ph/no. 02 4647 6322. Got it Sept. 2017. ½ barrier cost was $645, & $120 for fitting it. That's a few months back now. so maybe cost has increased. The bloke I dealt with was Steve. Easy to talk with & seems an okay bloke. ORS also did my rear drawers & fridge slide.

Word of caution, & regardless of who does the barrier for you... If you've a car fridge & slide set up, leave it in the car so any cargo barrier installers position things so the fridge handles don't rub against the rear tailgate window, or the barrier.

Comment

I put a set of Drifta drawers in late last year (2019) and have been happy with them. Doing the back tie-down has proved to be a bugger with small spaces. The turn-buckle tie down was easy but the second one is proving to be a problem. Without the second tie-down the drawers bounce around off-road. Drifta has designed them to tie down using existing points on the vehicle once you've taken that useless third seat row out. The drawers aren't cheap, but you get what you pay for - good solid, Aussie-made drawers from solid timber with good steel hinges and protector strips.

Comment

Working...
                        X