Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safari Snorkel

FYI,
    I sent a query to Safari last night asking about a snorkel for the Furtuner.

They replied today and said that the new Hilux snorkel does not fit, and they are working on a Fortuner snorkel, ETA is October.

Dave

Dave, any news on Safari snorkel yet?

Comment

Hi Kiat,
      I have one on order from ARB.
      Last I heard, ARB expected to get their stock in Late Dec / Early Jan, so I'm hoping to get a call any day now...
      I might call them later in the week if I don't hear anything.

Comment

Genuine Toyota snorkel fitted is $750, haven't tested in water yet but looks good on my Fortuner. You also get a warranty if water does get in. Just steer clear of Werribee Toyota as they are dodgy.

Comment

I received an email from Safari 4x4 Engineering this morning. There have been some issues with the casting of one section of the Fortuner snorkel mould and it will require a significant amount of work to correct. ETA is now March. I guess its good that they are committed to releasing a quality product, but its now Toyota genuine or TJM for me I think. Both look like good options.

Comment

• thehunteroz
            thehunteroz commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the Toyota genuine snorkel, it's great, and only cost me $800 at time of purchase to have supplied and installed, at the dealership

• LongwoodTim
            LongwoodTim commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks good too- I think that's the way I'm headed. I almost got a genuine one installed last service in Nov, but Safari said they'd have theirs ready Dec so figured Id wait and check it out. But wait no more for Safari shall I.... End of the day they do the same job and I need it before March.

The only issue I have with the OEM Toyota snorkel, and it may also apply to other aftermarket units, is that when the DPF is doing a burn (very regularly in city driving) you can hear it via the snorkel at idle and at light acceleration.
          If you put your foot down hard the turbo routes air intake pressure only to the engine and the noise immediately stops but resumes when you lift your foot.

Comment

Hi guys
            Safari snorkel looks good on the Fortuner. I didn't wait for stock to arrive though...

I ended up fitting the TJM snorkel and the wedgetail top bit (got a real bargain as it was out of stock when I ordered but arrived before the fitment date so got it for under $30 extra! Go TJM Hendra) - can definitely hear the DPF burn and as Hylife said once the turbo spools up that noise goes away - had me wondering the first time I heard it if a hose had come off somewhere!

Also interesting fact when I asked TJM about the 'waterproof' factor with the TJM snorkel - the installer stated that the connections and snorkel from factory airbox to top of snorkel are waterproof. BUT there is a small drain hole in the base of the factory air box that allows any rainwater etc. that comes into the airbox to drain back out. Its designed with the airflow and 'positive' pressurization of the airbox to not allow water back in when crossing a deep river etc. BUT if the engine is turned off then the positive pressure goes and the airbox will slowly fill up with water - so it you get stuck in deep water and turn the engine off you will need to winch out / get towed out and then inspect +/- clean the airbox and possibly change the filter before restarting the engine... I didn't know that before...

J

Comment

Originally posted by johton1971 View Post
              Hi guys

Also interesting fact when I asked TJM about the 'waterproof' factor with the TJM snorkel - the installer stated that the connections and snorkel from factory airbox to top of snorkel are waterproof. BUT there is a small drain hole in the base of the factory air box that allows any rainwater etc. that comes into the airbox to drain back out. Its designed with the airflow and 'positive' pressurization of the airbox to not allow water back in when crossing a deep river etc. BUT if the engine is turned off then the positive pressure goes and the airbox will slowly fill up with water - so it you get stuck in deep water and turn the engine off you will need to winch out / get towed out and then inspect +/- clean the airbox and possibly change the filter before restarting the engine... I didn't know that before...

J
              Thanks for the info! Some people plug that hole with silicone and others don't, I've often wondered which approach is best. Seems it's a useful feature but understanding this caveat is critical.
              Dave

Comment

I have a safari snorkel on order - the date is now early to mid May - but there is at least a part number so they are pretty confident it will ship by then ...

Comment

My original reply from safari in June 2016 had a part number (SS156HF). And since the original ETA of October, it has always been "next month"
                  One day...

Dave

Comment

is this it?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Drivetech...QAAOSwXYtYvQog

last day of 20% off brings it down to $383
                    Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Comment

That's the one, looks like the ad was first posted on 10 March. That's good news if they really do have it in stock, and a great deal if you want to self-install!
                      Hopefully ARB have their stock real-soon-now.

Dave

Comment

Hi folks, I had a genuine snorkel fitted a few weeks ago, very happy with the look of it, but have been surprised by the amount of induction noise that it generates. The hissing intake sound is most evident under light or moderate acceleration, but goes away more or less under heavy load. The noise is quite noticeable with the windows down.. It seems that induction noise from snorkels is common to some makes/models etc- but are other Fortuner owners noticing this noise- is this normal? This is my first snorkel on a 4x4 so didn't really know to expect this. Cheers, Tim.

Comment

• tekka maki
                          tekka maki commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I did the same and was also surprised but I'm used to it now.

• John
                          John commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Hey Tim, I also have a factory snorkel fitted and it is quiet noisy. This is normal though and just a result of bringing the air intake up right next to your ear. My old Suzuki used to have a real resonate drum to it that was very loud! This is much more civilised in comparison. No matter what snorkel you fit you will hear induction noise. I feel the holes in the factory one may add a bit of whistle but the Toyota engineers are usually pretty good so i'll trust the holes work.

Hey tim yes its definitely normal. You'll notice it more during dpf burn off

Comment

• LongwoodTim
                          LongwoodTim commented
                          Editing a comment
                          cheers. just soak it up I guess and enjoy- seems a lot less when the drain holes at the rear are covered up with a hand so does make me wonder if that is the best design... anyway looks good and will do the job intended.

Preview attachment IMG_2232.jpg

FYI these are the first pictures ive seen of the safari snorkel installed. Were sent through after I pre-ordered one sight unseen.

Comment

• 4Tuner
                          4Tuner commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Thanks for posting but unfortunately i cant open the photo.. could you repost the image?

(accessing on my phone if that makes a difference)
                      Working...
                      X