Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Still a bit of a wait for Frontrunner roof racks

FYI

Mid December I enquired about Front Runner Slimline II roof racks for the new Fortuner. I want a flat rack for my roof top tent.

Here is the response: thank you for your enquiry
    The new Fortuner is not available in South Africa yet, so we have not had a chance to design anything for it. Its due for release over here next year March and after that we will have racks available.
    regards
    Wayne
    Travel safe!
    The Front Runner team

Alex

Found these Rola racks on eBay when you go to rola rack web site you can select the Fortuner 2015+

http://m.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw...+2015+fortuner

Have posted link otherwise just head to Rola racks and go to the car selector.

Comment

All the roof racks available at the moment are all door strap mount. That means it doesn't use the roof rail at all. It also means your two roof racks are over the doors, so if you want a longer frame or cage on top, there is no support at the rear.

You wouldn't think it would be too hard to make a rail that locks into the provided mounting holes and is nice and slim

Comment

I have the genuine racks from Toyota. They are made by Thule. I spoke to the guys at RoofRackWorld (Artarmon, Sydney) and they contacted Thule to try and get the mounts for the rails on GXLs and Crusades. They're not available now and there's no date on them being available. ie they're all channelling through Toyota.

I then contacted Toyota and they don't have a part number for the clamps or whole mounts as they usually do to repair genuine racks. That means the only option from them is to buy another full set. I only want a third rail.

The RRW guys have been able to make up a clamp that fits well using parts from two other Thule mounts. They've already done this for another Fortuner owner and I'm going back to get the same for mine in a week so I can mount a full length cage. I'll post a pic of the original mount and the made up one once I have it, for comparison.

Comment

Yep i have had roof racks fitted at RRW Artarmon so they may have been talking about my roof racks.

Had them installed pre-christmas and i have had a few trips away since. No issues experienced at all.

They said they will swap the bracket over for me if/when one specifically made for the fortuner is released.
          Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Comment

Could you post a close up picture of one of the mounts? I would be interested to see what it looks like.

Cheers

Comment

Latest from Frontrunner: We are currently busy with products for the new version, but as the car was only released over here 2 weeks ago we still have a lot of work to do. We are hoping to have the rack available for them in the next 6 weeks. Then it will take 5 to 6 weeks before they are available in Australia.
              If all goes well, we might be able to get it done sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post
                Could you post a close up picture of one of the mounts? I would be interested to see what it looks like.

Cheers

5 photo limit, so here are the pics of the genuine Toyota mount. The RoofRackWorld guys said it's a Thule mount, but if they contact Thule they won't supply it directly (yet?).

Comment

Originally posted by Tuna View Post

Cheers

Here are some pics of the mount the clever guys at RoofRackWorld put together for me, drawing parts from two different Thule mounts. The end result is a perfect fit; more secure than the genuine mount imo as there are bolts on both sides rather than just one through the middle. I've included details of the parts they've used, but if you're in Sydney, best bet is to get them to sort it.

Final note - the rail follows the curvature of the roof so my three rails are not quite in the same plane. That'll mean some blocks on top of the back rail (between the rail and the cage) to get it sitting correctly. These'll probably be ~10mm - I haven't measured it yet.

Comment

Thanks for the pics Tom. That's a pretty neat looking fit.

Comment

Thanks Tom for the info. I have been wanting to install a rack, been looking at Rhino CXB for rails mounting, but not sure if it fits nicely.

Comment

Just had a look and Thule and Rola websites now both have parts listings for the GXL and Crusade!

Comment

Working...
                        X