Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Toyota steel bar compatible recovery points anyone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toyota steel bar compatible recovery points anyone?

Has anyone found recovery point that are compatible with the genuine toyota steel bar? I've attached some pictures of the attachment location and at this stage I'm thinking there may need to be some custom work done to replace one of the bullbar supports to incorporate a recovery point?

I'll be honest, I currently believe that the stock loops in conjunction with an equaliser strap is adequate for typical recovery situations.

They are very thick and are welded right through both sides of the front cross member!

I understand 4wd shops will tell you they aren't suitable, can anyone point to hard evidence of this?

It must take a hell of a lot of force to break one of those. Also, by using both loops with an equaliser (attached with rated shackles), if one gives way, the shackle and equalised will be captured by the other end, and only the bare snatch strap end will be loose (and already slowed trying to escape the equaliser). Assuming everyone is at a safe distance, this isn't a life threatening situation.

While we're at it, I'm dubious about cable dampers in snatch recoveries. There seems to be plenty of emotive marketing, but not much empirical testing.
    Here's an interesting video showing a snatch strap tossing a 2kg sand bag further than the strap will reach on its own...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0-p_o91f7Y

Thoughts?

Dave

Comment

Interesting video, I'll never use a dampener again after watching that! Though I wonder if the dampeners were intended for if the recovery point itself fails and to try and slow down the big lump of metal the shackle is from coming at a car? However if you do it right, the strap should always be the weakest point in a recovery, the shackle the middle and the recovery point the strongest.

I can see what you're saying by using an equaliser over both tie down points because the load on each point will be a % less compared to directly from one point (complicated maths involving angles and vectors and whatnot to give an exact number).

I suppose even the tie down points could be tested in a similar way to the video you shared to check the snatch strap will break first (even without an equaliser) but I dare say that could be an expensive exercise!

Is there anyone who actually has used the tie down point as a recovery point? If so, can we have a bit of a scenario on how the recovery went?

Comment

Hi all. not sure if this helps, but..... the 4WD club I recently joined has a familiarisation officer. When he looked at the front "tie down" points, he said they should work okay as recovery points due to the fact they had a 45 degree downward angle bend, & as DaveC mentions, used with an equaliser strap with rated shackles & dampers. I've not read or heard anything on this before, but the familiarisation officer said that "Mitsubishi" indicate that such tie down points which bend down, are fine to use as recovery points.

That said, Toyota say its a tie down point & shouldn't be used as a recovery point. For warranty issues/part failures, "Toyota" won't care what Mitsubishi say. Confusing at best...

As for using cable dampers, the familiarisation officer said to either fill the pocket of it with sand, or a couple of magazines before recovery. This adds weight to the damper so if in a recovery, if the cable or snatch strap breaks, the added weight in the damper will help the cable/strap drop to the ground quicker, & reduces the likelihood of it whip-lashing & hitting someone or the car.
        Last edited by Anthony; 16-10-2016, 05:57 AM. Reason: for got to say "familiarisation"

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Leondis View Post
          Hi all. not sure if this helps, but..... the 4WD club I recently joined has a familiarisation officer. When he looked at the front "tie down" points, he said they should work okay as recovery points due to the fact they had a 45 degree downward angle bend, & as DaveC mentions, used with an equaliser strap with rated shackles & dampers. I've not read or heard anything on this before, but the familiarisation officer said that "Mitsubishi" indicate that such tie down points which bend down, are fine to use as recovery points.
          Glad I'm not the only one..

That said, Toyota say its a tie down point & shouldn't be used as a recovery point. For warranty issues/part failures, "Toyota" won't care what Mitsubishi say. Confusing at best...
          Do you have a reference for that statement? Page 353 of the manual describes them as "emergency towing points", not tie-down points.

As for using cable dampers, the familiarisation officer said to either fill the pocket of it with sand, or a couple of magazines before recovery. This adds weight to the damper so if in a recovery, if the cable or snatch strap breaks, the added weight in the damper will help the cable/strap drop to the ground quicker, & reduces the likelihood of it whip-lashing & hitting someone or the car.
          Did you watch the video?

Dave

Comment

"emergency towing" to me is the Aussie term for "recovery". Seems like a word-by-word translation from a technical Japanese manual.

Frankly i have never seen any tow trucks use tie down points on cars/pickups when transporting vehicles. They all use straps around the wheel, either diagonally or on both sides, or on all sides if they are stacked higher. And the handbrake of course,

Comment

Saw the video & makes you think twice about the real value/use of the dampener. The video reinforces the importance of everyone being well clear of the straps in recovery situations. AND having a cargo barrier as a back-up in case something breaks through the rear window. (Remember the sand bag hitting the tractor's glass in the video).

Unfortunately no, the familiarisation officer didn't have anything written to back up what Mitsubishi is supposed to have said.

What DaveC mentions about emergency towing points is important & shouldn't be mistaken for recovery points. The amount of force/pressure placed on standard tie down points in a slow take off towing situation, is a lot different to that placed on these points in a faster paced snatch strap recovery situation.

Think I'll wait till someone comes up with suitable recovery points for the Toyota steel bull bar I have... & hope I don't get stuck in the mean-time.

Comment

I think any manufacturer would be reluctant to describe any tie down points or loops as an " official" recovery point , just for liability issues in case something ever goes wrong. Even the aftermarket add on points would have a heap of conditions attached to thier use.
                having said all that i reckon what the cars come with are fine to use , with an equaliser just in case..
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

Ironman recovery points dont fit on Toyota steel bullbar. Installer tried to fit them when doing suspension

Comment

I probably should have mentioned that at the start of the thread Drew70, I tried fitting ironman ones with no luck and the look of the ARB ones make me think they wont fit either

Comment

Just spoke with ARB myself who confirmed something about a crossmember in the way of fitting an ARB recovery point with an OEM Toyota bar.
                      Last edited by wiggy; 18-10-2016, 05:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks for confirming that Wiggy.

Comment

Working...
                        X