I ordered the new Rhino roof rail kit today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I ordered the new Rhino roof rail kit today

ive looked at various roof rack options for the last few weeks , but the best i could find was the Rhino roof rail system , which will give me a fully length adjustable pair of removable racks. a bit exe at $620 delivered too. I''l let you all know how the install goes.
    2016 GX , in White

the kit arrived today , and consists of 3 boxes , all up cost $625. some Ebay sellers for $500 odd dont supply the rails , so be careful you dont get stung.
    Fortuner specific roof rail / track set , left and right sides .Rhino part no. RTS 544. these 2 extruded auminium rails are 1.5m long and cost $150 each !!! damn exe but we have no choice.
    2 x Vortex Aero Bars , Rhino part number VA126B , in Black. 1260mm long. these are about $100 each . I ordered the 2 bar set but 3 or more are available ( with different legs )
    Quick Mount leg set , Rhino part number RLT600 , in Black. these allow the bars / upper legs to be quickly removed , leaving the lower leg section in place.
    Last edited by White One; 03-11-2016, 03:35 PM. Reason: new info
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

I've fitted the RTS544 rails to my GX. Installation requires trimming and removal of the rubber from the roof gutter, drilling 20 holes, and then riveting the track in place. I found the instructions accurate. If you are not comfortable doing this, I suggest having a rhinorack dealer do it for you. iirc installation was quoted at about $150.

Dave

EDIT: some notes with the instructions:
      - To remove the rubber gutter at the rear you lift it near the centre of the roof and pull toward the centre to release it from the clip. The clip is crappy brittle plastic and breaks very easily. I broke both of mine (the second even after I knew what to do!). No biggie, I used some black sikaflex to stick the small section you put back in down.
      - The measurements to trim the rubber do not account for the plastic end-cap that you add near the end, so add/subtract 1-2mm or you will have to trim them again to get the track to fit between the remaining original rubber.
      - When holding it in place to mark the holes, work your way from the front of the car, when you get to the rear you need apply some pressure to pull the track inward toward the centre of the roof (i.e. so it bows horizontally) in order to get the track to sit right down in the track. My track sits slightly proud on the outer edge at the rear, and I believe it is probably because I didn't do this. Its not a big deal as its still snug and doesnt leak (the rivets are very strong and will pull the roof up to meet the track and make the seal). I havent seen another installation, its possible that this is unavoidable.
      - the inner edge of the track sits proud of the gutter. I expect this is intentional to channel water. The outer edge sits flush (except as noted above).
      - make sure you dont skip the galvanising step etc
      Last edited by DaveC; 02-11-2016, 06:34 PM.

Comment

I'm comfortable doing the job , its just that the instructions ( item 4 on page 3 ) showed the end profile of the racks , and i couldnt match them up . The tapered thinner side of the rack faces towards the inner of the roof , but for that to be correct ( as per the profile shown ) the track slot in my case will be at the front of the car , not the back .
        also , it says the track should be flush with the mould , then No 13 ( page 5 ) says to insert the end caps , which would then place the rack 40mm further back. i could cut more the mould off but thats not the point.
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Interesting!
          My channel slot is definitely at the rear, and the tapered edge to the centre (as per instructions).
          It sounds like you would only have to swap the tracks left to right to get the channel at the back and the taper in the centre?
          Unless they sent you two lefts or two rights in which case you wouldn't get the taper and channel symmetrical no matter how hard you tried (front or back)

Regarding the end caps, they sit over the remaining rubber, the only additional protrusion is the 1-2mm vertical surface of the cap where it mates with the end of the track (as noted in my last post). I cant see how it would be 40mm out!

Finally, I find it humorous how simple it looks to trim the rubber in the instructions (stanley knife held in the fingertips). It's bloody dense rubber and there's a metal core inside! I used a stanley knife and then had to get tin-snips to finish the job!

Good luck, its a great system, solid as a rock. I have the pioneer platform on mine now.

Dave

Comment

I'll double check tomorrow , but i suspect mine were put into the profile cutter back to front at the factory. sounds wierd i know but i checked a few times to be sure. as for the end caps i recieved they are solid , there is no provision to sit over the ditch mould. the tracks are forced backwards.I could cut them shallow to make them fit over , but thats a last resort.
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

all sorted now , I took the rails back and it seems like they were mispackaged . I was sus about the other ones when the part numbers on the plastic ends did not match the instruction sheet as well as the difference in profile and length.
              now i have the correct rails they went on ok. accuracy is very important when drilling the 5mm holes you only have to be slightly out and the rivets wont match up. its a bit fiddly placing all the butyl patches on the holes , i really wonder if the pros would use them or they would slap something else in there.
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

Cool, makes sense now if it was the wrong kit!

Just curious, did you find the outer edge was nice and flush right down the length of the car, or was it raised just slightly at the rear like mine as described above?

Dave

Comment

funny you should say that , while i was looking at the channel / track profiles , etc , I noticed that the roof channels do have a noticeable inwards kink down near the back doors , which the roof rails do not compensate for. so mine are flush most of the way then rise up a bit near the back. Cannot be helped unless you have two people doing the job , one to bend the track while the other drills the holes.

forgot to say earlier , to make the job more accurate i started the holes with a 5mm drill bit , to mark the spot . then made pilot holes with a 2mm bit , then opened out to 5mm afterwards. having a drill depth set to 10mm is very important as well.
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                  X