Which Bull Bar?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Bull Bar?

It's time to fit a bull bar to the 'tuner. However, our garage depth is strictly limited so much depends on how much the bar adds to the length of the vehicle. We have no driveway and parking on the street is not an option.

For those of you with bars fitted (any brand, any style) could you please let me know how much it extends from the grill? Thanks.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Beach.jpg Views:	1 Size:	102.5 KB ID:	4700
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Bullbar size.jpg Views:	1 Size:	35.0 KB ID:	4699

I Have the TJM Outback bar. As you can see it protrudes 120mm from the white part of the bumper below the emblem.

Comment

Thanks. Add about 50mm to account for the verticals. A total of 170mm would just fit. Calls for some precision parking, ignoring the constant tone from the parking sensors. Your rig looks great! Mine is phantom brown. Hard to know what colour would look best.

Comment

• Fox
        Fox commented
        Editing a comment
        When I started to look into it, I think the ARB bar extends out further. that the TJM bar (or so I was told).

• John
        John commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh i had a daft moment youre right the uprights only add about 30mm but if you allow for 170mm youll be fine the 20mm is a bit to play with. I had a look at the ARB and ironman bullbars and they both appear to protrude more. The factory bar looks like it sits pretty close aswell.

Thanks, to colourcode of not was a tough decision. We only didnt because i wanted the brushbars and steps and didnt want to colourcode the whole lot. If i just got the bar it might have been white.

The TJM bullbar is great and has loads of mounting points to the chassis and suits the cars lines im very happy with it.

Comment

Allow 200mm for ARB Summit bar. I have no affiliation with ARB, but after doing a self instalation I can tell you that it's a quality product and all associated hardware is top notch. You do pay for it though!
        Last edited by Meercat; 11-12-2016, 06:07 PM.

Comment

I have an Ironman bulbar, I have measured to the rubber bumperet and its 200mm. My garage is approx 5.3m deep not including that engaged pier and its a tight fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_20161211_230111.jpg Views:	1 Size:	115.4 KB ID:	4722Click image for larger version  Name:	thumbnail_20161211_230327.jpg Views:	1 Size:	98.8 KB ID:	4723
          Last edited by Skardo22; 12-12-2016, 06:45 PM.

Comment

• greyone58
            greyone58 commented
            Editing a comment
            Your garage situation sounds similar to mine. Are you happy with the IM? It looks good from side on. Do you have a winch mounted? I know the IMs are less expensive and perhaps a little lighter in construction. On another forum a comment was made the the bar would pivot up when using a winch. No amount of tightening would stop it.

• Skardo22
            Skardo22 commented
            Editing a comment
            I like the bar and yes it is substantially cheaper, I fitted it myself so I've only paid $1550 all up. I order it b4 the price rise. I haven't fitted a winch as yet and not sure i will, but i apparently all steel Airbag compatible bull bars flex, as they mount differently and are made thinner. (so I've read) Do you have the link for the other forum? As now id like to know lol.

Does anyone else have a steel or alloy bar with winch and if so have you seen any movement?
            Last edited by Skardo22; 14-12-2016, 04:29 PM.

The Toyota Alloy Non Winch bar protrudes 110mm.

Comment

Thanks everyone for your responses. It's not an easy decision with so many other variables. TJM have a cash back at the moment on the Outback Bar, winch and snorkel. Also, TJM bars indicate that they have recovery points. Is it true for the Fortuner version? Given the debate over whether you can use the tie down hooks, it might just resolve that issue too.

I'm also confused over the alloy v steel debate. One dealer told me that by the time an alloy bar is reinforced to accommodate a winch, the weight is much the same as a steel bar. Also, just how necessary is it to beef up the front suspension if a steel bar with winch. Another dealer said this was only essential if mounted on an NP300 i'.e. recommendation from Nissan.

Dazed and confused!

Comment

• John
              John commented
              Editing a comment
              I can only comment on the TJM outback bar, the bar comes with rated 8t recovery points. It also comes with LED fog lights and indicators/park lights.

The barwork feels strong the 63mm hoops look tough but it does weight down the front of the car. The steering does feel heavier and the vehicle will benefit from upgraded suspension. Especially if you want to run a winch and spare battery in the front.

I dont know if there is much of a difference between ally and steel? I preferred steel so i went that way.

I have finally taken the plunge and opted for the Ironman Protector bullbar with the chrome loops (Ironman terminology). I thought the Rhino was the go but figured that the added protection of the loops made better sense. Does anyone have this particular bar fitted and if so could provide any images? Cheers

Comment

• Skardo22
              Skardo22 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have been informed by another member on here, that he has not had any flex from his IM bar whilst winching. Also I mounted an ARB bar on my previous Hilux and it had a similar mounting system to the Ironman.
          Working...
          X