Fuel tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank

Anyone installed a second fuel tank in there fortuner if they have wat type have they got installed and were did the spare wheel go if needed to be moved

at a rough guess it would a Hilux based solution , which has a dual sided tank with a tunnel section for the tailshaft.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

I had a look under there the other day, there's actually not much space!
      Existing tank takes up the whole LHS, and the RHS is all hot exhaust.
      How similar is the hilux? do you know if we share the same stock tank?

Dave

Comment

as far as i know its all Hilux under there and the exhaust can be relocated if need be. If a tank is placed in the spare tyre location then the only options are to remove 1 rear reat and place the spare there or oven add a swing away wheel carrier on the towbar
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

I kind of agree with white one, it should be but i've had mine to a place called maxit 4x4 in kelmscott W.A. they manufacture after market tanks and things, they had it up on the hoist and most definitely is not the same amount of free space underneath, i think the lux is a bit longer than the tuner, i got quoted $2k to fabricate, install an aftermarket tank, but i'd need to be without my wheels for like a week :|

Comment

I was told the difference in the Lux is that it has leaf springs, & the Tuner doesn't. This is why there's already options out there for long range Hilux tanks, and not yet for the Tuner (unless you relocate the spare on the Tuner). More cost plus more weight to factor in GVM.

Comment

Long Range Automotive do one but requires remounting of the spare wheel, it adds an extra 120L.

https://longrangeautomotive.com.au/T...Auxiliary~3259

would be a great solution with the kaymar rear bar. Only problem is price and GVM... When I looked at it I was getting bugger all change out of $5k...

Comment

Thanks for the responses that's the way I was looking at going Gary but money is the big one

Comment

The Long Ranger Fuel Tank people got back to me last week via email & said ""we will be looking at the Fortuner over the next few months and I believe that we will be looking at a replacement tank as well as an aux tank."" No mention if either of these options require the spare to be relocated.

I also wrote a letter to ARB head office in Vic, (cause they don't always reply to emails), asking if they're doing a long range moulded plastic tank for the Fortuners. And I specifically mentioned that according to their in shop leaflet, (which has been there well before Christmas), is under development. Will let you know what they say when I get a reply.

Comment

Outback accessories in WA do a 114ltr but the spare has to be relocated (more cost for rear bar). saw advert on gumtree for around $1,450 (don't think it included fitting cost). They emailed through fitting instructions & photo, but can't attach, will try later

Comment

There's a few aux tanks available for Fortuners, but these require the spare to be relocated either onto a rear bar or onto the roof. Which then throws additional costs & GVMs into the mix.

I'll use jerry cans for now & hope that Long Ranger bring out a replacement tank as they mentioned in their email to me. Even a modest increase from 80 litres to 100-110lts would be good.

Comment

Installation instructions for the Aux Fuel Tank and photo, may help someone on the Forum. Outback Access Aux Fuel Tank Instructions.1pdf.pdf Outback Accessories 114ltr Tank.1pdf.pdf

Comment

Taking my Tuner to the Long Ranger - (not to be confused with the Long Range brand) fuel tank people (Barnsley NSW) & leaving it with them for 2 days (12-13 Sept), for research & development measuring purposes etc. They seem confident they can design a slightly larger capacity fuel tank (30-40 litres), without relocating the spare... time will tell. They're also toying with their own auxiliary tank design.

A few weeks later, I'll take it back to them again for final measuring & possible fitment of a prototype. Will advise as things move forward.

Comment

Nice work Anthony
                            Kind Regards,

Deeds - https://citygonebad.com/

'Big Blue Bruise', 2016 Nebula Blue GX - https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/member/668-deeds
                            City Gone Bad, You Tube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf6...BEp6X_07nHMzvA
                            City Gone Bad, Instagram Account - https://www.instagram.com/citygonebad/

Please subscribe to our channels - Like | Share | Leave a comment:

Comment

I'm more worried about how low mine hangs down and bottoming out on it rather than stopping at a servo

Comment

Working...
                              X