Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4100 was fully fitted with rear carrier and fueltank

Comment

Just completed 8000ish kms in Sth Oz touring the Eyre Peninsula, Googs Track, & Gawler National Park. Googs has some 300 sand dunes which were very rutted & bouncey.

Bottoming Out; I only noticed this once. That said I may have bottomed out on other occasions but I didn't feel / notice it.

Fuel. I filled up in Ceduna 7 Nov, did Googs Track in high range, then we went through Gawler National Park & returned to Streaky Bay caravan park 9 Nov, where I filled up again. This was 790kms of travelling.
      I used 96.46 litres of diesel. Which works out at 12.21 Litres/100kms, or 8kms / litre of diesel.

There’s fuel at Kingoonya but I didn’t need to top up then, & besides, there was fuel at both Minnipa & Poochera which were both on the way back to the Streaky Bay caravan park. BUT, Minnipa was out of fuel, & Poochera had a broken pump. So for me, having the 45lts on board via the sub tank paid off !!

In our party was a 200 series, 2 x Prados, 100 series (4.5 lt petrol) & Fortuner. On this trip I got bogged on a beach & needed to be yanked out. 1 of the Prados got bogged going up a dune. I pulled him out no probs. The 200 series got bogged, as did the 100 series petrol, (who with standard size fuel tanks was always worried about fuel consumption).

Comment

Have been following this thread with interest. Seems like a pretty good solution in the end. Shame about the reduction in departure angle but realistically most will never utilize the vehicle to that extent anyway unlike fuel range which to my mind is the only real drawback with the Tuna vs Prado comparison. Same motor and driveline with lower weight meaning higher power/torque to weight ratio in the Tuna, winning! Thanks for all the info guys 👍

Comment

Got a trip from Sydney, nth west NSW, sth west Qld up to the Gulf in August & then home. Shouldn't be any fuel issues as its mostly on the black top, but happy to report any fuel probs when we get back. Per my above comment, who'd of thought you'd not be able to get fuel 2 servos in a row...

Comment

For those interested in a smaller sub fuel tank option without relocating the spare (similar to what I did), the Long Ranger Fuel tank Manager contacted me, advising they've done some fine tuning & are looking for another Fortuner to install a sub tank onto around mid January. Mine was their first R & D job, & I left the car with them a couple of days, so I imagine their next sub tank will be a quicker job. They're located next door to Out of Town 4x4 in Barnsley.

I've no affiliation with The Long Ranger or Out of Town, & found Peter easy to deal with & talk to. If contacting him, see if you can get a mates rates fitting fee. If you don;t ask, you don't get!!

His name is Peter Morris, 65 Northville Drive, Barnsley NSW, ph/no. 02 4953-3288. Email is [email protected]. He's happy to field email enquiries.

Comment

Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Any other details like capacity or cost?

• 4Tuner
                4Tuner commented
                Editing a comment
                Check out Out of town 4wd Facebook page

• gbrought
                gbrought commented
                Editing a comment
                About 45-6 litres. About $1200 excl. fitting

Anthony I had one fitted 2 weeks ago (the offer you mention above). I just refilled tonight after driving 1280 kms on the combined tankful. Pretty impressed.

Comment

That's great to hear. I find its good peace of mind on trips knowing you've more fuel on board. As with everything there's a compromise... which is losing some ground clearance with the lower hanging spare.

Just means I need to pick better lines when off road.

Comment

• gbrought
                  gbrought commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't know if they have improved departure angle but it less by only 1 degree! They showed me angles ... so on mine it looks worse (lower) than it actually is!

Just booked mine in. ARB are distributing them. Cost is $1400 in the east coast and $1470 in WA apparently fully fitted. Also have to spring an extra $100 to fill it up with diesel to make sure it doesn't leak - but you get to use it after! Very excited, it was one of the Fortuners issues for towing and touring - 120l is better than the old 80!

Comment

• young_dazza
                  young_dazza commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’d be very interested to hear how it goes. Please post some photos if you can!

Does anyone know if there are any main tank replacements to get over 100l fuel. I don’t want to get a sun tank and relocate my spare and I don’t want the spare to be lowered for less clearance

Comment

borgna; when Long Ranger had my car for their CAD 3D mapping of the space for the sub tank, they said there's just no room under the car for a larger main tank, & I specifically asked for a replacement main tank. While it lowers the spare 9cm to the ground, it surprisingly barley affects the approach / departure angles. Per gbrought's comment above, they also showed me the approach / departure angle after fitment.

If it helps people make up their mind re a sub tank, I'm in Sydney & am happy for anyone to visit & compare my "after fitment look of the car" to a stock Tuner.

Comment

I thought that might be the case there doesn’t seem to be much room underneath. How are the hilux’s able to do it? Is it because they have a longer wheelbase that they have the extra room?

Comment

I can only repeat what I was told,... that its because the Hilux have leaf springs, & we've coils, which apparently gives them more space.

Comment

Comment

• MANGO
                          MANGO commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I got an extra 45litres with the longranger tank from ARB but it makes the spare wheel lower by 90mm. Not ideal and I'll be looking for rear bar options now.

Only seen one on the road with a rear bar which looks good. Other than that, only seen it at 4WD shows on the blue coloured Kaymar Fortuner. Not sure if Kaymar is the only rear bar manufacturer for Fortuners, but shouldn't be hard to googe it.

Not sure which state you're in, but be aware of the GVM weight if getting the rear bar. The Four Wheel Drive NSW & ACT association is reporting that police & transport authorities in a few states are starting to do roadside checks of 4WD & caravan GVMs.

Comment

Working...
                        X