Dobinsons MRR suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dobinsons MRR suspension

I am about to pull the trigger on the suspension upgrade and strongly leaning toward the Dobinsons MRR (MONOTUBE REMOTE RESERVOIR) over Old Man Emu.

i have just had a search through the forum and can't find any specific comments on the Dobinsons MRR.

anyone have a review after fitting?

i am upgrading to adjust for bullbar and full weight of cargo on trips but aware of ride comfort around town for day to day use.

comments appreciated
    Last edited by 4Tuner; 30-05-2017, 06:18 PM.
    Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

I too would be very interested. I need to upgrade for exactly the same reasons. I was quoted $1500 fitted, which seems very reasonable compared to OME, Ironman and others.

Comment

Dobinsons have the twin tube model for the fortuner also which I understand is closer to the old man emu nitrocharger

(the MRR closer to the OME BP51)

which model were you quote 1500 for?

i think others on here have had the twin tube model installed

Comment

Have a look in the members rides section or what ever it's called. Eddo83 ? Has MRR dobinsons...have a chat to him.

Comment

• 4Tuner
          4Tuner commented
          Editing a comment
          ok see that thread now - thanks

just reporting back post purchase

I have had the Dobinson Monotube shocks fitted.

When I picked it up post fitment I had my old 265/70/17 Grandtrek AT22 tyres fitted. On driving home I immediately noticed there was a substantial amount of vibration on take off as a result of the lift. My wife also commented when she drove it.

I called OL Brookvale to advise and they asked me to bring it back so they will fit a spacer. I see others on here have had a spacer fitted on other brands of suspension lifts.

The next day (and before the spacer was fitted) I upgraded the tyres to 265/70/17 BFG AT's. The vibration has gone. Drove to the snow and back and all good, very happy with the suspension.

No rubbing post lift (I definitely had a fair bit of rubbing on the AT22 before the lift but I knew I was upgrading the tyres shortly so didn't worry about it).

I am still going to take it back to OL Brookvale however to have it looked at and likely a spacer fitted in the next few weeks.

Comment

gday, keen to know if you went the comfort or heavy duty etc on front/rear? i've got a toyota steel bar (no winch yet, but planning) and it has already certainly sagged the front a bit, i'm leaning towards this suspension too and am thinking the heavy duty for front and comfort for rear.

Comment

I was unsure on this so went with the advice of OL, dobinsons (directly) and others to have the 0-100kg fitted in rear.. see part numbers. I also have a steel bull bar (arb) so front as per recommended for this.

car is 7 seater most of the year people only no drawers etc

recent road trip family of 5 to snow fairly loaded up and no visible sagging very happy with ride but no camping gear, water, fridge etc which adds the weight.. will report back after first 4x4 trip.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by 4Tuner; 15-07-2017, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Front

Comment

Spacer now fitted and suspension is great. No vibration. Very happy with the choice of suspension upgrade.

Comment

• NateMate
                  NateMate commented
                  Editing a comment
                  What size or sort of spacer did they fit?

• 4Tuner
                  4Tuner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It was sent from Dobinsons themselves i believe. Don't have the size sorry. Call Dobinsons Sydney or OL Brookvale.

So far so good.

have you had a chance to put the new suspension off road yet 4tuner I'm keen as to put dobinsons in my crusade for long range touring, split on wether to spend the extra cabbage on the remote res setup or not

Comment

• 4Tuner
                  4Tuner commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Been out to Yengo NP.. around the 4wd tracks out there and very happy. Was only a day trip though so car not fully loaded with weight.

3 day trip back of blue mountains this month and a week of fraser after that both fully loaded so will coment after that.

Quite a bit of highway driving and no issues at all.. havent noticed much difference to before other than the height of course

• tuna tourer
                  tuna tourer commented
                  Editing a comment
                  thanks i think i just need to stop procrastinating obsessively and just buy some, from what i can find its one of the better options to what I've got setup
                  iron man looks ok but they only have a few spring options that are way too heavy or too light

Can anyone explain to me what the spacer is that gets fitted? is it a tail shaft spacer or what?

Comment

its commonly called a tailshaft spacer but its actually called a tailshaft mount spacer. you remove the 2 bolts holding the mount to the body , and use the spacers to drop the mount lower by 20mm or so. spacers are in 10mm increments and longer bolts come in the kit.
                  it serves to align the tailshaft a bit flatter ( when viewing from side of the car ).
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

3 day offroad trip through the blue mountains and the suspension was fantastic. Coupled with the larger tyres the ride was so much better. Very assuring and simply felt rock solid.

lots of fire trails, steep wet sections, some low water level crossings (kowmung river etc) and countless big potholes.

in particular i noticed how the weight in the fully loaded car brought the ride height back down and looked still (just) ok so i think i have the hight level of spring firmness etc.

Very impressed

Comment

I've had the MRRs on my MUX. They're way better than standard Dobinson shocks which have shown a 25% early life failure rate over two sets.

That wagon gets a lot of outback driving, so think corrugations where the shock has to work hard. As per Robert Pepper, a shock is a device for converting movement to heat. So heat dissipation is important. Anyway, those started to lose their rebound damping after 20K kms and it was noticeable after 30K kms. That's about what I'd expect, and of course they can be rebuilt (in Sydney and Melb now).

Comment

MRR shocks really come into their own for vehicles set up with long suspension travel. It saves having a large diameter shock to hold so much oil.

Comment

Working...
                        X