Winches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winches

Doing some homework on winches at the moment.

From previous experience what brands have you tried? Is it always "you only get what you pay for ?" Or is that not true when it comes to winches?

It is a bit of "you get what you pay for" but it also has to come down to how much you plan to use it. You can spend almost $4000 on the Warn winch that Toyota supply - great brand, reliable, strong, factory fit so warranty will be good. Or you can look at a cheaper one that might not last as long, but will still save your ass when you need it most.

If you are thinking hardcore 4x4 spending weeks in the mud or up some pretty gnarley terrain, then a decent brand will be good. If you are more the weekend warrior type then go a cheapy.

I went the cheap route, got a Domin8r winch (chinese make) cost about $600 from http://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/. Its a 12000lbs winch with dyneema rope. I read the reviews on it and lots of people rate them. The guys in 4x4 action magazines dvd all use them and it seems pretty good. I also have a friend with one and he said it was one of the better ones he has owned (based on price/strength etc)

Already saved my ass too so its paid for itself! (a lot cheaper than rolling onto the roof!)

Comment

agree with deeman111. I personally paid a ridiculous amount for the Toyota/Warn winch, not because it was worth the money or any better than the cheaper ones, but because it is all covered by Toyota warranty if something goes wrong...

Interestingly talking to my local ARB store they are recommending the majority of people install their "Smittybilt" cheap winches rather than the traditionly supplied Warn options.

If I didn't go the genuine path I was going to get a Runva winch starting from around $650. http://www.wolf4x4.com.au/categories/runva-winches.html

Comment

I have a VRS 9500 winch with synth rope from OL (I think) that I am happy with. It was my first winch so I don't have a reference to compare it with though. I used it a few times in the Vic high country on my old Patrol and it performed really well.

I was hoping to mount it on the Tuna next year (not planning any trips where I will need it this year so no point doing it yet) so I haven't looked into whether the Toyota cradle will fit it or not. I suspect that the combined weight of the steel bar, winch and 2nd battery under the bonnet will require a suspension upgrade which is why I am putting it off.

I like the way it drives on the open road and around the city at the moment so am not in a hurry to change it until I have to.

Comment

• The Tuna
          The Tuna commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Tuna, the VRS will fit when you get around to it. The VRS winches are actually made in the same factory as the warn winches so all housings etc are the same.

Nathan

Originally posted by gary View Post
        agree with deeman111. I personally paid a ridiculous amount for the Toyota/Warn winch, not because it was worth the money or any better than the cheaper ones, but because it is all covered by Toyota warranty if something goes wrong...

Interestingly talking to my local ARB store they are recommending the majority of people install their "Smittybilt" cheap winches rather than the traditionly supplied Warn options.

If I didn't go the genuine path I was going to get a Runva winch starting from around $650. http://www.wolf4x4.com.au/categories/runva-winches.html

Gary, any chance you can get a few photos of how the winch installed? My winch had to be installed with the rope coming over the drum, but all information online says they should come from under the winch. The way the winch mounted, going under the drum looked like too much undue stress on the cradle. Ill chuck some photos up soon so we can all laugh at my install!!

Comment

I was about to get a 12000 dominatorx. This will mount to a genuine Toyota Steel bar yeah?

Comment

I've read ya previous posts demean. Hoping it will work tho like you never needed it for the tuna in deserts,mud and rocky stuff. Just as piece of mind. The mount should fit it tho yeah?

Comment

Yeah Rompin the winch will fit no worries. Ive used mine in anger a few times and it has saved my ass and some other peoples too! Well worth the money. If your unsure of anything let me know and i can try to get some photos etc to help you out

Comment

Hi. I have an Ironman 12000lb with synthetic rope and it has worked very well and got me out of some real difficult situations.

Comment

Thanks Deeman....Fitted and have'nt had to touch it after Little Desert, Big Desert and Murray Sunset NP...fingers crossed

Comment

Working...
                  X