Aftermarket stuff ups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aftermarket stuff ups

so I order some Dobinsons lift kit with 30mm in the rear end. Put rear coils and shocks in before I left to go home from work this afternoon.

now I measured the height a week ago but stuffed if I could remember the numbers. Put in springs and freaked out!

Thanks to AusTuner for confirmation on ride height I now have the back end raised 65mm 😂

3 degrees more of centre bearing angle which I spaced out to be .6 degrees from spec to avoid shudder.

so yeah first thing tomorrow the original going back in I think but it does look “Sick”

Or I can keep the 2.5 inch in the back and crank up coil overs to the full 50mm in the front and just buy new upper control arms to get my caster angle back 🤔

Comment

• 4Tuner
      4Tuner commented
      Editing a comment
      Interesting ! .. Was this the Nitrogas or Monotube lift kit by Dobinsons?

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey 4Tuner it was the mono tube lift kit.
      Front coil overs adj from 0 to 50mm with a progressive rating of 0 to 60 kg
      Rear I have ordered the 30mm lift with 100 to 200kg progressive rated springs.

So in essence no load will give me more than 30mm lift in the back.

Rear shocks in now with original springs and that alone has pushed the back up 20mm with no load obviously. They certainly took some squashing down to get the top of shock in.
      I’ll fit the full kit next week and align it.

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      Deeds is getting an alignment done so He is going to try to grab the print out for me, that’s going to give me a good indication on what I’ll raise the front by to keep it in spec. I’ll post up end result too

you think its too high??

Comment

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s good to know mate, I guess that without 200kg in the back it’s going to be stiff. Will you you keep the front the same too or drop ride height?

• tuna tourer
      tuna tourer commented
      Editing a comment
      no the front will stay it will be lifted rear still, front rides nice with its load

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah nice one 👍

Well I got to work 30 mins early and swapped springs out and removed spacer under centre bearing. Part number ended up being for 200kg HD with 45mm lift. So take the 200kg out of the equation and ended up with the 65mm.

correct springs being dispatched

Comment

Had the same thing happen with my 45mm XGS setup, 4" with no sway bar able to be attached or adequate spacer.

Not sure TJM even knew until it came of the hoist, although they wouldn't tell me what the problem ended up being (I didnt get to check part numbers to confirm).
      Kind Regards,

Deeds - https://citygonebad.com/

'Big Blue Bruise', 2016 Nebula Blue GX - https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/member/668-deeds
      City Gone Bad, You Tube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf6...BEp6X_07nHMzvA
      City Gone Bad, Instagram Account - https://www.instagram.com/citygonebad/

Please subscribe to our channels - Like | Share | Leave a comment:

Comment

• Spook1205
        Spook1205 commented
        Editing a comment
        That’s a classic! That certainly wouldn’t of been fun for the mechanic, springs can be so hard to muscle around at times.

I gave it 30mm of lift.
      very happy🤗

Comment

• gbrought
        gbrought commented
        Editing a comment
        Lovell’s??? The blue is a bit of a giveaway...

• Spook1205
        Spook1205 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dobinsons
        Could they be affiliated?

Ok so after having the front raised 35mm and back looking low I just couldn’t stand it and raised the back 50mm without load (0-200kg Ironman). Love how it looks and rides.

of a big note is the effect on the electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD). When front only raised braking was very effective under light brake pedal force, I got used to this🤗

So after jacking up the back massive difference to vehicle slowing up with light brake pedal force.

When front only was raised the vehicle thinks it’s got a lot of weight in the back so rear brakes are given more fluid pressure. Now back is jacked up it thinks less weight over rear wheels as if back is lifting under hard stopping so rear brakes get less pressure.

My thoughts when first coming off highway speed to turn lane cannot be put up on here.
      There is a procedure for resetting that new ride height on level ground.

Anyone else note this?

Comment

how does the car sense there is more or less load in the back? on my previous Mitsu there was a hydraulic valve linked by a spring ( between the body and diff ). havent seen the same setup on the Tuna , and not looked for it either!!
        maybe an electronic level sensor?
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Year it’s not a potentiometer style but electronic

Comment

What is funny is that the missus has no idea vehicle has been lifted. I never told her to see if she would notice and she hasn’t 😂

Comment

• Frazza
              Frazza commented
              Editing a comment
              Classic, should start another topic “what accessories have you got away without the missus knowing / noticing”. Maybe Bullbar, Wheels, Roofrack, Window Tint!!!! 🤦‍♂️😂

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              Bloody good idea

ha ha true i don't think i could get away with much, the mrs is actually pretty active follows the same forums on Facebook as i do mostly. witch is both good and bad

Comment

Great idea but I can't get away with much. Plus she throws a mean frying pan. My head's starting to get flat on one side !!

Comment

Just been towing the caravan with upgraded suspension and oh my what a difference!!!!
                Gearbox temps peaked at 90 deg but it’s only 19 deg outside.
                still need to fit airbags and trans cooler. Then make another comparison.
                DPF filled quickly when towing too

Comment

Fun arvo at work fitting Polyair kit. Raised it another 10 mm with 8 psi in it.
                  drilling a 22 mm hole up in the chassis wasn’t fun, but better once I sharpened drill bit.

Comment

hey mate is there a reason why you went for poly air over airbag man?

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Polyair has been around for a long long time in Australia. Guess it’s a brand I have always known.

• borgna
                      borgna commented
                      Editing a comment
                      ok no worries thanks
                  Working...
                  X