Transmission cooler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission cooler

Stuart from wholesaler automatics said that they should have an external cooler ready for the Fortuna very soon. They test fitted to one very recently.

i looked into getting one from PRW but they only suggested a generic kit that gets zip tied to other cooler units. Would rather see it bracket mounted.

Well worth the investment if towing or loaded up.
    with well over 80 thousand on the clock the auto will also get well flushed out when fitted.

Oil coolers are good to go from wholesale Automatics. They fitted their 6 speed Hilux kit straight up to a Fortuna today.
    Order is in expecting delivery early next week

Comment

thanks mate do you recommend getting one if i don't tow but i do some 4wding loaded up when camping?

Comment

• Spook1205
        Spook1205 commented
        Editing a comment
        If you plan to keep the car long term it’s not a bad investment.
        I am a bit paranoid about auto’s and heat though.
        Plus getting one is also another excuse to play with car.

Christmas present

Comment

• GreyWoodTuner
        GreyWoodTuner commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey mate, do you mind saying how much the cooler was?

• Spook1205
        Spook1205 commented
        Editing a comment
        It cost me with freight - $550
        Wholesale Automatics have a sale on for them at the moment for $445 so pretty good time to pick one up.

Has great fitting instructions for those happy to swing a spanner.
        Has the refilling instructions but does it take into consideration of gearbox temp. Toyota have a specific procedure to show when temp is correct on dash (I do have this but will double check it against scanguage2 readings). It is fine and even recommended by auto repairers to overfill these design of gearbox by at least 1/2 Ltr. They do it across lots of manufacturers so they don’t slip gears from low oil levels.

I will flush gearbox too, it’s expensive but only way to get as much clean oil in as possible.

Spook1205 I've noticed the gearbox does seem to get warm e.g. in the drivers footwell (got the 2015 GX Auto) in comparison to the Ford ZF 6spd it's something i'm not really used to, does that sound normal?

Comment

I haven’t noticed anything that alarms me. Do you think heat could be from exhaust rather than gearbox?

Comment

I think radiant heat off the road surface adds to the heat load too . Last summer on the Newell hwy it was 42deg air temp and at 100kmh my scanguage was showing a trans temp of 92deg , no towing and no passengers . the fluid starts degrading at 120deg from memory.
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

I've not thought much on what causes the warmth issue in the foot well, but like Spook, just assumed it was radiant heat from the exhaust. Interesting....

Comment

Spook1205 , not sure mate but seeing the response from White One and Anthony i can see i'm not the only one who's experiencing it, it just concerns me a little i'll bring it up with the dealer and see what they have to say.

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe something is up with it, I towed my van all weekend and trans never got over 93deg and that’s without oil cooler on.
                I checked around and never found anything that gave off excessive heat.
                Are you taking it back?

• thehunteroz
                thehunteroz commented
                Editing a comment
                So after the dealer, had a brand new tuna up on the hoist next to mine running and apparently had a FLIR pointed at both, the spot in the cabin hovers between 35 - 40 degrees, The workshop said: "All heat shields, fluids, and other items are running identically to the brand new one" they've had to send data off.

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                35 to 40 deg is abnormal
                Maybe look internally with heater

Fun oily morning!
              good flush out and cooler fitted🤗

Comment

From underneath

Comment

Spook1205 any idea what viscocity the ATF is for these Fortuners? my boss used to work in the Navy and reckons it could be the wrong fluid for summer, interestingly enough though the WA District Service Manager, noticed the same warmth the other day in a pair of thongs... next they'll issue a notice saying don't drive in thongs as the floor pan gets too hot

Comment

• Spook1205
                    Spook1205 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Wow ok 👍 with summer on the way I’ll see if I notice the heat issue. I haven’t so far yet.
                    You would hope they would use the correct fluid.
                    Are you asking them to flush out gearbox or change the oil?
                    Otherwise they will never do it because there is no service interval, it’s a filled for life thing in Toyota’s books.

• thehunteroz
                    thehunteroz commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Interesting i've asked them for what fluid they are using so expecting a call back soon, I'll ask them

• Spook1205
                    Spook1205 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    They most likely will tell you that they use world standard oil.
                    If I couldn’t do the transmission myself I personally would take it to a reputable auto trans workshop rather than Toyota. But that’s just my thought process.

Comment

Has anyone fitted one of the Wholesale Automatic trans coolers with a factory Toyota bar and winch ?

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I have heard that the mounting of it had to be turned sideways.
                  Working...
                  X