Possible alternate use for the existing idle up button

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible alternate use for the existing idle up button

G’day there guys, first time post so we will see how it goes. I would be extremely grateful for any help or advice.
    I have been doing some reading on the idle up feature on my Fortuner and I have found out, through my Toyota Service Centre, that it’s intended use is to assist the A/C with cabin temp if the outside temp is lower than 10 degrees. I have used an idle up switch in the past in a LC 200, to assist in slightly higher rpm to transit smoothly up a difficult ascent. So my questions is can the Fortuner be easily modified, through the existing idle up button, to achieve the same outcome?
    Thanks guys would really appreciate any information and feedback.
    Many thanks, Nath

I think there where a few people looking into it so we can use it when winching but i dont think anything has some from it yet. Unfortunately the idle up cuts out as soon as the car is put into gear so it would be even harder again to modify. It would have been much better if we had gotten a crawl assist like the landcruisers instead of an idle up that only works under certain temps

Comment

• Fortunerfun
      Fortunerfun commented
      Editing a comment
      Good point, thanks for the info

im working on a solution , but very slowly at this stage. If i replace the ambient temp sensor with a fixed resistor that will make the display read 11deg , then in theory the idle up button can be used at more times.
    not tried this for myself yet.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

I will be really interested in how you go, thanks for the response

Comment

Ive been tinkering with this a bit more lately , seems that the outside air temp sensor ( a thermistor ) works in conjunction with the internal temp sensor to achieve proper operation of the aircon temps. So if you modify it by placing a fixed resistor inplace of the thermistor the dash can be made to read 10deg C but you cause an aircon issue.

so to make a cheap and nasty fast idle setup i placed a thin piece of plastic ( about 1mm thick ) into the gap created at the throttle position sensor.
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Thanks for the info mate. I like the way you are thinking. I also came across the same response when I ask some techs about modifying the existing sensor. I will keep thinking of alternatives and let you know if I find a solution. Really appreciate the response

Comment

yeah it was worth a try. Ive never used that idle up button , it doesnt get cold enough where i live in QLD.
            I was thinking of putting the the DPF burn switch in that location since all my other switch locations were used , but they said my car did not qualify for a switch despite being in there 4 times for blowing DPF smoke and DPF studies . go figure
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
            X